British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Registering Car in Ohio without SSN (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/registering-car-ohio-without-ssn-843803/)

davejenk477 Sep 24th 2014 4:14 pm

Registering Car in Ohio without SSN

Hi,

I am moving to Ohio at the start of November and was hoping to get a car sorted before I went through International Autosource, however I am struggling to find out if it possible to do this in Ohio. It seems that you need a social security number to register a car in Ohio, which I wont have for the first few weeks.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks or your help!

smarty156 Sep 24th 2014 5:08 pm

Re: Registering Car in Ohio without SSN

Same in New York. Doesn't stop you ordering a car through International Autosource though. Just means you have to wait until you get a SSN (and possibly driver's licence as per New York) before you can pick it up. Might not be much delay if you're doing a bespoke order anyway. I'm in the same situation.

smarty156 Sep 24th 2014 5:09 pm

Meant to say, I presume you've spoke to IA and asked them? They will know.

Pulaski Sep 24th 2014 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by davejenk477 (Post 11417109)
.... you need a social security number to register a car in Ohio, which I wont have for the first few weeks. ...

"Few weeks"? :confused: Shouldn't be more than a few days, ten days tops.

davejenk477 Sep 24th 2014 6:58 pm

Hopefully it will only be a few days, I'm basing a few weeks on the visa paperwork I've got that says it could take up to 6 weeks. Looks like I'll need to rent a car for a few weeks until the SSN arrives!

Pulaski Sep 24th 2014 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by davejenk477 (Post 11417310)
Hopefully it will only be a few days, I'm basing a few weeks on the visa paperwork I've got that says it could take up to 6 weeks. Looks like I'll need to rent a car for a few weeks until the SSN arrives!

Six weeks would be a worst case scenario SNAFU.

davejenk477 Sep 24th 2014 8:53 pm

That's good, I hope so! It would make life a lot easier!

sh-swfl Sep 28th 2014 1:42 pm

I'm pretty sure to register a car in Ohio, you need an Ohio driving license (which would require the SSN in order to go and take the test to get the license). If it's your first US license, you'd need to take the written test and also the one where you have to drive (if you already have a US one from another state, it's just the written one). It's pretty simple - just takes a visit or 2 to the BMV. (I'd suggest you download the handbook and go get your license as soon as you get you SSN)

From bmv.ohio.gov : customers will no longer be required to show proof of Social Security Number on initial vehicle registrations if an Ohio driver license or Ohio identification card is presented. Customers who do not present an Ohio driver license or Ohio identification card on an initial registration will be required to prove their Social Security Number by presenting a document from the acceptable document list.