Reload this Page >

Registering a car in NYS: beyond rocket science

Registering a car in NYS: beyond rocket science

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:10 am
Just Joined

cziffra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Registering a car in NYS: beyond rocket science

Hi everyone,

I have been browsing the forums for a few months now and I found a lot of very useful information while dealing with my visa/relocation to NY.

I finally got to the USA last week and during the last five days (including a weekend) I have managed to find a house to rent, open a bank account, arrange mobile (ok, cell now), internet, land line, electricity, gas... all activated... I applied for my SSN... And even bought a car.

Which takes me to the source of my concern, and a frustrating one to be honest. The thing is as follows: I start working next week. I absolutely need a car by then. I bought a car today, a used, nice car, at a dealer. Everything went great until I needed to provide documents for proof of identity/residence. I had to provide up to six points. Passport/visa: 3 points. Bank statement: 1 point. Stop counting. My SS card would give me two gorgeous points, but it might take up to two weeks (so I was told at the SS office) for me to receive it. The electricity will be turned on this Wednesday, and I will receive some sort of a "welcome letter" with the initial meter readings, etc, but I do not know if that constitutes "a bill" as far as the DMV is concerned. Internet will be connected Thursday, but again, I will be charged with the connection fee and I do not know whether I will get a proper bill from the provider. Another option would be an employee ID Card, but my employer will not give me one before my first day of employment.

I'm out of ideas. I think I will finally need to rent a car until my SSC gets delivered, which I would hate, as it gets pricey quickly. It's frustrating to have a car parked at the dealer and having to rent in the mean time.

I am hoping I am overlooking something and somebody may point it out and save me a good handful of dollars in car rental, but I am not very optimistic, to be honest.

To end on a positive note, apart from the car issue, I am ABSOLUTELY LOVING THE USA. This is a really, really nice place indeed!

Thanks to all.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:40 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering a car in NYS: beyond rocket science

How about a letter from your landlord?

I assume you've got access to this list: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/id44edl.pdf

A cancelled check is considered acceptable, as long as it's got your address on it, but you probably haven't got preprinted checks yet.

Looks like your bank card is worth a point, if it's got your name on it. If it hasn't, maybe they will accept a combination of your bank card and a letter from your bank confirming that they had requested a card to be issued in your name with a given number on it - that will match the number on your temporary bank card.

Have you received any mail at your new address, with a postmark on it? That's a point.

They sure don't make it easy for new arrivals.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:08 am
Just Joined

PatciyMkc is an unknown quantity at this point

Municipalities love making things complicated - Being simple to them is just too simple!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks, avanutria. I was familiar with a similar document to the one you linked, but my impression was that you could only provide a bank statement/cancelled check/credit card from one financial institution. It looks like a bank statement could be used independent of a cancelled check in your link... But in any case I have not received my preprinted checks, no.

Regarding letters... a postmarked letter is valid as a proof of address, but not as proof of identity, which is what I need to reach six points.

I was thinking two utility bills would be two points, but it seems from your link that I can only provide one utility bill! Argh!

Anyway, it was useful, thanks!

Originally Posted by avanutria
How about a letter from your landlord?

I assume you've got access to this list: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/id44edl.pdf

A cancelled check is considered acceptable, as long as it's got your address on it, but you probably haven't got preprinted checks yet.

Looks like your bank card is worth a point, if it's got your name on it. If it hasn't, maybe they will accept a combination of your bank card and a letter from your bank confirming that they had requested a card to be issued in your name with a given number on it - that will match the number on your temporary bank card.

Have you received any mail at your new address, with a postmark on it? That's a point.

They sure don't make it easy for new arrivals.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 12:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Are you asking about registration of the vehicle or a driver's license.

If a driver's license you can use your vehicle registration as proof of identity.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Are you asking about registration of the vehicle or a driver's license.

If a driver's license you can use your vehicle registration as proof of identity.
It's actually about registering the vehicle, but knowing that will come handy in a couple of weeks when applying for my NYS driver's license. Thanks.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

Doesn't the car come with temp plates and registration ? should be good for 10 or 20 days ?

Charles