Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Registering Birth & UK Passport Question

Registering Birth & UK Passport Question

Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all
Default Registering Birth & UK Passport Question

Hi All,

I have (yet another) question on the registering of a birth with the embassy please......I have all the docs ready to send for our 1 month old, but the birth registration form says that the marriage certificate must show the marital status of both parties. Ours doesn't, but I can't find anywhere on the gov.uk site where I can download the 'marriage declaration' form. Am I missing something or has the requirement changed at all so I no longer need it? It also says to read the guidance notes for children born after July 1986, but again I can't find these notes on the site.

Secondly, I need to order UK passports for both my kids as we are planning to move back to the UK - I know that the initial application is done online but does anyone know if having the certificate of birth registration from the embassy is one document they ask for, and if so, does it reduce the amount of docs we will need to send? I'm guessing not but always worth hoping!

Thanks all
Old Apr 26th 2014, 9:19 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering Birth & UK Passport Question

I shouldn't think it'll be required for your child since he or she were born after 2006 when the martial status of the parents became irrelevant for nationality purposes. If it is required then the Embassy can always send you a copy as it doesn't seem to be available online.

If you have a consular birth certificate then you won't need to send any other certificates, i.e. birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc.. They'll still want copies of the various passports involved however.