Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Registering a Birth with the UK Embassy ??

Registering a Birth with the UK Embassy ??

Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Jo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant future
Default Registering a Birth with the UK Embassy ??

I am going about getting things ready to register our little girl with the British Embassy.

One of the documents they want sent is a p/copy of "Parent's Passports etc" but my husband (USC) doesn't have a p/port. Will just a copy of my (UKC) passport be sufficient?

Also, to register her, it costs 193$ (which does not include the birth cert) and for the BC it costs an exra 124$ (which sucks IMO), is it necessary for my to get the BC for her for later in life or will just registering her be enough (if she ever wants to live in the UK etc)?

Sorry if these are dumb questions but my brain cells just aren't functioning since giving birth, and I am having a hard time understanding forms lol

Thanks

Jo
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:49 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering a Birth with the UK Embassy ??

Welcome to BE!

Please search through this forum for answers. There have been similar threads on this subject that may help.

PS: I'm in NC too!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:55 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome and congrats on your new mini-Brit!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I personally did not register my daughter with the Embassy. Pretty much everyone else seems to have done so but I didn't have the cash at the time so I didn't do it.
In all honesty I intend for her to have another nationality by the time she is of an age for it to be of importance and getting copies of her birth cert from the country she was born in is as well as copies of our own birth and marriage certs is hardly that difficult.
And bearing in mind that her British passport contains her visa I guard it with my life. If I would have to replace hers I'd have to replace them all so I'd be doing the same work anyway.
It's entirely your choice whether to do it or not.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Birth Cert is probably more useful in the long run, as it'll help show UKC if the widget loses passport down the line as it becomes a hassle to prove UKC, especially if you carp it.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:39 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jo1973
I am going about getting things ready to register our little girl with the British Embassy.

One of the documents they want sent is a p/copy of "Parent's Passports etc" but my husband (USC) doesn't have a p/port. Will just a copy of my (UKC) passport be sufficient?

Also, to register her, it costs 193$ (which does not include the birth cert) and for the BC it costs an exra 124$ (which sucks IMO), is it necessary for my to get the BC for her for later in life or will just registering her be enough (if she ever wants to live in the UK etc)?

Sorry if these are dumb questions but my brain cells just aren't functioning since giving birth, and I am having a hard time understanding forms lol

Thanks

Jo
Personally, I'd send a copy of the father's US birth certificate and US driver license with a note explaining he does not hold a passport.

There was a thought a month or so ago about whether you could actually apply for the slightly cheaper certificate after a few months or so at gro.gov.uk rather than the consulate's inflated price. No conclusion was reached. But the registering is definitely by the consulate, and also a worthwhile act IMO.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Jo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant future

Thank you all for your great responses.

I did a search and found a lot of useful information, positive and negative so have decided to go the whole hog now. lol. (Yippeee that they accept credit cards lol)

Fatbrit - That is a good idea to send copy of DL, I hadn't even thought of doing that. Thanks for that.

NC Penquin - whereabouts in NC? I am in Efland, just West of Durham.

Thank you all again.