Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Registering a birth in the UK

Registering a birth in the UK

Old Jun 16th 2020, 4:24 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering a birth in the UK

Originally Posted by MarylandNed View Post
Agreed but get multiple copies of the GRO birth cert now - don't even wait. Also get multiple copies of the US birth cert as well (long form that gives full details of the parents) within 3 months of birth.
THIS... it’s like when you buy lovies for your toddler.... you buy a pair and a spare.... I ordered additional copies of everything so I have multiple “originals”.

As others note the GRO certificate is useful because it also details the basis for your child’s claim to citizenship.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

bullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for all of the replies. Sorry I have taken so long to post again....I chalk it up to being a new parent and disorganized.

I understand that the full long version of the birth certificate is crucial and I have that. I did indeed get multiple "originals" so i can easily send it. On the gov.uk website it is stated that the following original documents are also needed (I have deleted documents that are not applicable)
  • hospital, medical or insurance records naming the parents as the birth parents (if the birth was registered more than three months after it took place)
  • the long version of the parent’s birth certificate showing the child’s grandparents’ details (for parents who were born in the UK)
  • the parents’ marriage or civil partnership certificate (if applicable)
  • change of name documents (if either parent has ever changed their name)
Have any of you ever sent any or all of these?
Old Jul 1st 2020, 8:59 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
Thank you for all of the replies. Sorry I have taken so long to post again....I chalk it up to being a new parent and disorganized.

I understand that the full long version of the birth certificate is crucial and I have that. I did indeed get multiple "originals" so i can easily send it. On the gov.uk website it is stated that the following original documents are also needed (I have deleted documents that are not applicable)
  • hospital, medical or insurance records naming the parents as the birth parents (if the birth was registered more than three months after it took place)
  • the long version of the parent’s birth certificate showing the child’s grandparents’ details (for parents who were born in the UK)
my situation was different to yours, so I had to send other documents (you removed from the list), but I did have to send the originals for the relevant documents. I paid extra to courier it all because some are originals I only have one of. I did receive them all back OK.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 12:09 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post

- As it says only required you should only provide these you registered the birth more than three months after it took place.
- This is only necessary if you were born on or after 1 January 1983.
- This should be provided if you are/were married to the other parent of the child being registered.
- This is only required if your name differs from what appears on your birth certificate and isn't already covered by a marriage certificate you are submitting.