Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Registering a birth in the UK

Registering a birth in the UK

Old Sep 15th 2020, 9:52 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering a birth in the UK

Originally Posted by Blue York
Your right and surely they can see the city of Birth is in Scotland! Oh and I previously did they say they can't comment they just state if there is a Scottish connection it will be sent to them by the GRO.
the guidance even says that:
https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birthYou do not need to register with the UK authorities but it means:
  • the birth will be recorded with the General Register Offices or at the National Records Office of Scotland
  • you can order a consular birth registration certificate

Old Sep 15th 2020, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Blue York is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tht
the guidance even says that:
https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birthYou do not need to register with the UK authorities but it means:
  • the birth will be recorded with the General Register Offices or at the National Records Office of Scotland
  • you can order a consular birth registration certificate
Correct, when they receive the application and certificate it will have a S on the consular certificate meaning it will be sent to the NRS. Though my initial concern was that as my place of birth on the child's certificate states United Kingdom would this be overseen and not have the correct note. ...I guess I can always send an additional page or add comments too.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 10:15 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Correct, when they receive the application and certificate it will have a S on the consular certificate meaning it will be sent to the NRS. Though my initial concern was that as my place of birth on the child's certificate states United Kingdom would this be overseen and not have the correct note. ...I guess I can always send an additional page or add comments too.

you are sending them your and your wife’s original birth certificates if you are both British so they will have all the details:

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth/...s/same_country
You must send the original versions of:
  • the child’s full local birth certificate - it must have both parents’ names
  • hospital, medical or insurance records naming the parents as the birth parents (if the birth was registered more than three months after it took place)
  • the long version of the parent’s birth certificate showing the child’s grandparents’ details (for parents who were born in the UK)
  • the parent’s naturalisation or registration certificate (for parents who were not born in the UK)
  • the parents’ marriage or civil partnership certificate (if applicable)
  • evidence that the parents’ previous marriages or civil partnerships have ended (eg divorce or death certificates)
  • change of name documents (if either parent has ever changed their name)
  • a letter from the parent’s employer if they’re working abroad as a UK civil servant, EU civil servant, diplomat or member of HM Forces (for British parents)
  • written evidence if the parent was born overseas while one of their own parents was working abroad as a UK civil servant, EU civil servant, diplomat or member of HM Forces (for British parents)
Old Sep 15th 2020, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Very true my wife is American but they should be able to process it correctly based on the parents birth certificate. I was just curious if most British expats put down the nation for parents country of birth or United Kingdom on their child's US birth certificate.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 10:33 pm
tht

Very true my wife is American but they should be able to process it correctly based on the parents birth certificate. I was just curious if most British expats put down the nation for parents country of birth or United Kingdom on their child's US birth certificate.
step 1, complete the questions:
https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth/y

step 2 fill in the form and send what it tells you (you won’t need your wife’s original birth certificate, they will want a photocopy of her passport).

step 3 - wait 12 months or so and request a copy of the info the NRS have on file or an extract from the register to confirm it was registered up there....
https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/about-...ng-information

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/c...tes-and-copies
Old Sep 15th 2020, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, yeah we will definitely do that. I was just thinking as we have not got our US child's certificate yet should I change the parent country of birth to Scotland from the UK. Do you think it's worthwhile doing it or would you just keep it as UK, as BritinParis said I don't think it makes a difference either way, I was just curious if most Brits abroad did the nation or inputted UK.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 12:19 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It’ll be sent to NRS because you are providing Scottish parental birth certificates, not because you wrote ‘United Kingdom’ rather than ‘Scotland’ on the application form. In any case a British consular birth certificate lists your claim to British citizenship under British nationality law. In the event of Scottish independence you would need to apply for a Scottish passport under the new Scottish nationality law. A British consular birth certificate isn’t going to help. You would need to apply under whatever process is put in place by the newly independent Scottish government.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It’ll be sent to NRS because you are providing Scottish parental birth certificates, not because you wrote ‘United Kingdom’ rather than ‘Scotland’ on the application form. In any case a British consular birth certificate lists your claim to British citizenship under British nationality law. In the event of Scottish independence you would need to apply for a Scottish passport under the new Scottish nationality law. A British consular birth certificate isn’t going to help. You would need to apply under whatever process is put in place by the newly independent Scottish government.
Thanks for the reply, yeah it was listed as United Kingdom on the child's US birth certificate instead of Scotland though realistically it can be either or. Only myself is a British citizen my wife is American though our child is still eligible through myself after reviewing their website as I was born in Scotland.

I guess I was just ensuring that it gets sent to Scotland as I saw this on the Scottish Governments "Scotland's Future" white paper with the main part being that the birth needs to be recorded in Scotland for Scottish citizenship to take effect for the child... if ..and that is a HUGE if Scotland were to become independent in the future!

Would you advise keeping it as United Kingdom or should I get it changed to Scotland? As the birth certificate has not been issued yet we can make the change prior to it getting ordered and printed. Though once ordered and printed it counts as an amendment.
​​​​​
Old Sep 16th 2020, 12:56 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It really doesn’t matter. As that document states you would to have to go through a whole new registration process with the Scottish government. What you do now is neither here nor there.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

I see, as I do have the option to change it before obtaining the birth certificate do you think I should? By entering the UK was that the correct foreign country of birth that I should of inputted rather than the specific nation? I guess it really can be either.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 10:57 pm

As mentioned, it makes no difference. The FCO will amend it if there see fit but it will zero effect on any future hypothetical Scottish citizenship application.
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

No worries, it's probably more hassle to change and having the UK is correct too so probably just leave it be.