Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Registering a birth in the UK

Registering a birth in the UK

Old Sep 6th 2020, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Blue York is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Registering a birth in the UK

Just wondering for any other users who had children in the US if you listed the parents birth country as UK instead of England, Scotland, Wales etc on their US Birth certificate??

Personally I have always listed UK for myself and on my SSN record as I believe I read on here that always refer to country as United Kingdom rather than England, Wales etc as the UK is a sovereign state.

I was concerned if I listed Scotland as my birth country on our child's certificate that it would not match up with the UK listing at the SSA. When doing the worksheet I entered the UK for their birth certificate I did Edinburgh, U.K instead of Edinburgh, Scotland.

Last edited by Blue York; Sep 6th 2020 at 4:09 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2020, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
Also I know there is a cheaper way to get a copy of the certificate but for ease I juts ordered 2 when I did it so I would have them to hand. The registration does not automatically include the certificate. That way when the kids are old enough they can get their copy and I will have a backup.
Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It's the ISSUE date of the birth cert that is important. So even if you registered the birth within 3 months, you can still have problems if the birth cert is ISSUED more than 3 months after the birth e.g. you lost the original birth cert and had a replacement issued more than 3 months after the birth.

UK consular birth registration is optional but it is probably a good idea for children born in the US. UK consular birth registration solves these issues and will make it much easier for the child to prove UK citizenship later in life.
I was just curious when you registered your child's birth in the US if you selected the parents birth country as the United Kingdom or if you selected one of the nation countries (Scotland, England etc)

At the hospital I selected Edinburgh, United Kingdom for the US birth record/certificate though I am overthinking and think I should of put Edinburgh, Scotland. I am contemplating if I should have this corrected OR when then UK consular birth certificate is created they look at my Scottish birth certificate and will write down parents birth as Edinburgh, Scotland instead of Edinburgh, U.K.

As the other user said its not an issue but thinking about how potentially Scotland may be independent in the future here. Probably overthinking this whole thing but your input is appreciated as you went through the process too.

Many thanks
Old Sep 8th 2020, 2:18 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue York
I was just curious when you registered your child's birth in the US if you selected the parents birth country as the United Kingdom or if you selected one of the nation countries (Scotland, England etc)

At the hospital I selected Edinburgh, United Kingdom for the US birth record/certificate though I am overthinking and think I should of put Edinburgh, Scotland. I am contemplating if I should have this corrected OR when then UK consular birth certificate is created they look at my Scottish birth certificate and will write down parents birth as Edinburgh, Scotland instead of Edinburgh, U.K.

As the other user said its not an issue but thinking about how potentially Scotland may be independent in the future here. Probably overthinking this whole thing but your input is appreciated as you went through the process too.

Many thanks
my case is not a good example for you to follow, I fall in to a corner case, I was not born in the UK and because I was born before 1981 to a British mother and German father I did not become a British at birth, I was only able to pass on British citizenship to my children because I was registered at the direction of the Secretary of State at the home office, which means I became a British Citizen otherwise than by decent. I already got my Brexit hedge back in 2008 when the writing was on the wall (by getting a German passport again).

Last edited by tht; Sep 8th 2020 at 2:21 am.
Old Sep 8th 2020, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
my case is not a good example for you to follow, I fall in to a corner case, I was not born in the UK and because I was born before 1981 to a British mother and German father I did not become a British at birth, I was only able to pass on British citizenship to my children because I was registered at the direction of the Secretary of State at the home office, which means I became a British Citizen otherwise than by decent. I already got my Brexit hedge back in 2008 when the writing was on the wall (by getting a German passport again).
That is interesting glad you were able to pass the British citizenship on to your children. I believe by descent means not able to pass it on if the children were not born in the UK but glad there was a way for you to pass this on in your situation.
Originally Posted by bullettoothtony
Hi,I am a British citizen and have dual citizenship (USA). I have recently had a child that was born in the USA with a US citizen
Originally Posted by steph0scope
You don't need to register the birth to get a British passport for the baby. It's optional but not a requirement:
Originally Posted by scot47
My two daughters were both born in foreign jurisdictions. In both cases I took the rouble to register at the Consular Section of the BritEmbassy and hence at GRO
Hi, I was just curious when you registered your child's birth in the US if you selected the parents birth country as the United Kingdom or if you selected one of the nation countries (Scotland, England etc) At the hospital I selected Edinburgh, United Kingdom for the US birth record/certificate though I am overthinking and think I should of put Edinburgh, Scotland. I am contemplating if I should have this corrected OR when then UK consular birth certificate is created they look at my Scottish birth certificate and will write down parents birth as Edinburgh, Scotland instead of Edinburgh, U.K. As the other user said its not an issue but thinking about how potentially Scotland may be independent in the future here. Probably overthinking this whole thing but your input is appreciated as you went through the process too. Many thanks
Old Sep 15th 2020, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Slight bump on this for any expats who have had children in the U.S, is it advised to list the parents place of birth as United Kingdom or the specific nation (Scotland, England, Wales etc) ??
Old Sep 15th 2020, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Slight bump on this for any expats who have had children in the U.S, is it advised to list the parents place of birth as United Kingdom or the specific nation (Scotland, England, Wales etc) ??
Personally I'd put Town/City United Kingdom
Old Sep 15th 2020, 6:56 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

What does it say on your birth certificate?

I also think Scotland is a “country” not a “nation“. And your UK passport should say British Citizen.

I would not try to get clever with this application, my brother made a error when submitting for his children and cited the wrong act and it caused him no end of issues, and a lot of back and forth and having to contact different agencies for information.

Last edited by tht; Sep 15th 2020 at 7:07 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Personally I'd put Town/City United Kingdom
Originally Posted by tht
what does it say on your birth certificate?
It just states the hospital I was born and the city name there is no country of birth the only place that it says Scotland is at the top left of the certificate stating "this is an extract from an entry of the register of births in Scotland"
Old Sep 15th 2020, 7:39 pm
tht

It just states the hospital I was born and the city name there is no country of birth the only place that it says Scotland is at the top left of the certificate stating "this is an extract from an entry of the register of births in Scotland"
looking back at the form (assuming it’s not changed) it has 4 box's, again my answer won’t help you as I was not born in a hospital or the UK, and the county name for where I was born also changed in the mean time, but I put the current name and had no issues, so your would look like this:

Place of Birth: so I assume hospital name here
Town: Town the hospital is in
County (if applicable): County Name here if applicable

Old Sep 15th 2020, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
looking back at the form (assuming it’s not changed) it has 4 box's, again my answer won’t help you as I was not born in a hospital or the UK, and the county name for where I was born also changed in the mean time, but I put the current name and had no issues, so your would look like this:

Place of Birth: so I assume hospital name here
Town: Town the hospital is in
County (if applicable): County Name here if applicable
I see, yeah I am not sure whether to keep it as U.K or change it to Scotland on their US birth certificate I assume the British authorities will list my place of birth on the British birth certificate. It should hopefully not make any difference when obtaining their British consular birth certificate and having the records sent to the GRO and to Scotland.

​​​​If there are any other users on here who have had children in the US and can provide their input that would be great! 🙂
Old Sep 15th 2020, 8:30 pm
tht

I see, yeah I am not sure whether to keep it as U.K or change it to Scotland on their US birth certificate I assume the British authorities will list my place of birth on the British birth certificate. It should hopefully not make any difference when obtaining their British consular birth certificate and having the records sent to the GRO and to Scotland.

​​​​If there are any other users on here who have had children in the US and can provide their input that would be great! 🙂
How are you going to change it? We have the details before we left the hospital here....
Old Sep 15th 2020, 8:42 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

This really is a non-issue. The FCO will use their preferred format regardless of what is listed on your child’s birth certificate or what you write on the application form. The application form notes even give you an example:

Father’s date and place of birth and occupation

The place of birth will be recorded by city and country, eg. Cardiff, Wales.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
How are you going to change it? We have the details before we left the hospital here....
I inputted United Kingdom at the hospital for parents place of birth though as the birth certificate has not been issued yet you can have information corrected (in the state we live in anyways)

Originally Posted by BritInParis
This really is a non-issue. The FCO will use their preferred format regardless of what is listed on your child’s birth certificate or what you write on the application form. The application form notes even give you an example:
I see, I guess the big thing for me is to ensure that it has the marginal note of S to have the records sent to Scotland. I state this as having a birth record in Scotland is a claim to Scottish citizenship if Scotland become independent. With the way things are going it may be a possibility so I just wanted to ensure all bases were covered. Do you know if many folk enter it as UK or if they do it as specific nation what would you advise?
Old Sep 15th 2020, 9:20 pm
tht

I inputted United Kingdom at the hospital for parents place of birth though as the birth certificate has not been issued yet you can have information corrected (in the state we live in anyways)

I see, I guess the big thing for me is to ensure that it has the marginal note of S to have the records sent to Scotland. I state this as having a birth record in Scotland is a claim to Scottish citizenship if Scotland become independent. With the way things are going it may be a possibility so I just wanted to ensure all bases were covered. Do you know if many folk enter it as UK or if they do it as specific nation what would you advise?
I doubt it will come down to what you put on a form, look at Ireland/NI, people are able to claim both Citizenships. If you are that worried message them and ask:

https://www.gov.uk/national-records-of-scotland
Old Sep 15th 2020, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
I doubt it will come down to what you put on a form, look at Ireland/NI, people are able to claim both Citizenships. If you are that worried message them and ask:

https://www.gov.uk/national-records-of-scotland
Your right and surely they can see the city of Birth is in Scotland! Oh and I previously did they say they can't comment they just state if there is a Scottish connection it will be sent to them by the GRO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.