Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Registering Birth In Hospital - CA

Registering Birth In Hospital - CA

Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Registering Birth In Hospital - CA

Hi,

I am a bit confused. I know my baby's birth will be registered at the hospital when I deliver but do I need to bring along any documentation ie. our birth certs, marriage cert etc?

I've tried googling and can only find info for out of hospital births.

Thanks
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering Birth In Hospital - CA

I highly doubt it, and even if the hospital did ask for them (which I would be shocked if they do), you can be sure that most women are not going to have marriage license and birth certificates in their grab bag of stuff to take to the hospital when the time comes. Certainly in NC where little Miss P was delivered, and the hospital registered the birth, they did not ask for such things. And remember, the hospital already has much of the biographic information in their computer to verify who you are (name, address, SSN, DOB), and most likely your husband too.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 4:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not, but each county might be different.

Might need those things as proof to get a copy of the actual certificate from the town hall later though, if you don't get one sent to you, they don't down my way.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 4:43 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

It's been a while for us, but we weren't asked for anything to prove who we were. They did all the paperwork at the bedside for the registration of birth, then the Birth certificate arrived in the post a few weeks later.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I just did it, although not in CA. Just fill in the form and it gets sent off. Nothing extra needed.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone! Looks like all I need to do then is have this baby
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Yes! Have the baby!

You get the certificate in person about 10 business days after the baby was born.

We did this as soon as we could, three years ago. Our daughter was exactly 14 days old, and apparently this was the earliest that the certificate could be available.

(We needed it quickly as we needed to get her a passport due to unavoidable international travel plans.)

Here's one office:

http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/hhsa/prog...tificates.html

I went to one in Oceanside or San Marcos.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Yes! Have the baby!

You get the certificate in person about 10 business days after the baby was born.

We did this as soon as we could, three years ago. Our daughter was exactly 14 days old, and apparently this was the earliest that the certificate could be available.

(We needed it quickly as we needed to get her a passport due to unavoidable international travel plans.)

Here's one office:

http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/hhsa/prog...tificates.html

I went to one in Oceanside or San Marcos.
Thanks for that. I want to get his passport ASAP too just in case we need to fly home at short notice for some reason.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It's been a while for us, but we weren't asked for anything to prove who we were. They did all the paperwork at the bedside for the registration of birth, then the Birth certificate arrived in the post a few weeks later.
Yes, that's what happened to us here in Maryland.

A word of warning though - the birth certs we received for our daughter from the State of Maryland were the equivalent of a UK "short form" birth cert i.e. they did not give full details of the parents (just parents' names and ages at the time the baby was born - for the mother, only the full maiden name appears not her current legal name).

I contacted the Maryland Division of Vital Records to see if they had something equivalent to a UK "long form" or "full" birth cert that gave more parental details. They did - and I obtained multiple copies of a birth cert that states the full name, address, date of birth and place of birth of each parent as well as the full maiden name of the mother. This is the birth cert I used to obtain a UK passport for our daughter (UK passport applications ask for a "long form" or "full" birth cert although some people have reported successfully using US "short form" birth certs).

There is another reason to obtain multiple "long form" births certs asap. US birth records can be changed in the case of adoptions, so the parents named on the US birth cert may not be the biological parents. Therefore, the UK authorities are suspicious of US birth certs issued more than 3 months after birth.

UK consular birth registration is another way to avoid this potential problem.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth/...s/same_country
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 6:17 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

I had to get "long form" birth certificates for some visa or other. I was born in the state of New York. They have a transcript BC that is like the short form, and an actual facsimile copy of the registry of birth page that is like the long form. Different states have different forms and different fees, and it's worth a call to the public records office to find out what you need to request.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Leah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of light

Not long to go now! Wait til after we've met up though if you can!! X