British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Registering a birth at British Embassy Washington (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/registering-birth-british-embassy-washington-822462/)

kp1 Jan 21st 2014 7:38 pm

Registering a birth at British Embassy Washington

Has anyone does this recently? Maybe I am missing something but the list of docs you need to send in on gov.uk is slightly different to the list on the 'USA - Birth registration application' form you download from the same website.

If anyone has done this recently, would like to hear from you and also understand how long the process took. Thanks

BubbleChog Jan 21st 2014 9:43 pm

Re: Registering a birth at British Embassy Washington

Originally Posted by kp1 (Post 11089897)
Has anyone does this recently? Maybe I am missing something but the list of docs you need to send in on gov.uk is slightly different to the list on the 'USA - Birth registration application' form you download from the same website.

If anyone has done this recently, would like to hear from you and also understand how long the process took. Thanks

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth/...s/same_country

I used this link and although I was asking about it last spring http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792102

I only just posted all the docs off.I used the list n the application form as we wouldn't have been able to register in person but it says 5 days

Lx

mmhendrie Jan 22nd 2014 6:08 pm

It's been a few years since we registered my son, that said, for most people, what is the benefit of this vs. just getting a passport?

We did ours because my son gained Brit Cit through me, and I had a couple of unusualties about my situation that required extra levels of documentation. I hoped getting the registered birth would make things easier for him in the future.

So...for the average person, what's the advantage of a British registered overseas birth?

-Matt

sir_eccles Jan 22nd 2014 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by mmhendrie (Post 11091664)
It's been a few years since we registered my son, that said, for most people, what is the benefit of this vs. just getting a passport?

We did ours because my son gained Brit Cit through me, and I had a couple of unusualties about my situation that required extra levels of documentation. I hoped getting the registered birth would make things easier for him in the future.

So...for the average person, what's the advantage of a British registered overseas birth?

-Matt

You've pretty much answered your own question. There are many old threads beating this question to death.

The bottom line is by doing this you have a real British birth certificate recorded at the GRO for ever for a one off payment. Whenever you need a certified copy you can get one cheaply.

Just doing the passport is slightly risky because if it is allowed to lapse (very common due to the huge cost in renewing every 5 years until 16 then every ten thereafter) then getting a new one is considered a fresh application and you have to prove citizenship all over again. What if you have passed on and all documentation mislaid?

Bob Jan 22nd 2014 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11091785)

Just doing the passport is slightly risky because if it is allowed to lapse (very common due to the huge cost in renewing every 5 years until 16 then every ten thereafter) then getting a new one is considered a fresh application and you have to prove citizenship all over again. What if you have passed on and all documentation mislaid?

Include lost or stolen.

The real hassle depends on how your US state issues a birth certificate, as some will only date it on date of issue rather than date it was registered so that there is no way of knowing if it had been altered in case of adoption for instance.

So a birth cert issued after 3 months might not be enough on its own to get a UK passport without having to get hospital records of birth, which years down the line may be difficult/impossible to get.

A registered UK birth cert negates this hassle.

Gillymonkey Jan 22nd 2014 8:34 pm

I did this recently.

I ordered a 'confidential' copy of my son's California birth cert - this includes all the parents details too which are not on the normal Californian birth cert.

Off the top of my head we sent.
Both our birth certs
Marriage cert
LO's birth cert
and I think copies of our passports maybe?

The embassy emailed to ask for details of our parents (we were both born after 1983 so it is a new process) but other than that it was very quick and easy.

We wanted LO to have an actual birth cert in case we die; felt like it'd make things easier for him. We have just applied for his US passport then our next job is his British one.

kp1 Jan 22nd 2014 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey (Post 11091881)
I did this recently.

I ordered a 'confidential' copy of my son's California birth cert - this includes all the parents details too which are not on the normal Californian birth cert.

Off the top of my head we sent.
Both our birth certs
Marriage cert
LO's birth cert
and I think copies of our passports maybe?

The embassy emailed to ask for details of our parents (we were both born after 1983 so it is a new process) but other than that it was very quick and easy.

We wanted LO to have an actual birth cert in case we die; felt like it'd make things easier for him. We have just applied for his US passport then our next job is his British one.

Thanks Gillymonkey.

We did it the other way round I guess..We got the LO's US passport and just recently received his British passport. Wife was born after 1983 so HMPO UK asked for grandmothers info as I was naturalised - Makes sense now.

I guess we could also send in copy of LO's British passport so they can see BC is verified and the child has a right to it..

Hawkini Jan 22nd 2014 11:37 pm

I'm just getting around to doing this for our daughter (she is nearly two after all...) - in case bad things happen etc etc.

I noticed the form asks for "Name of Hospital" and "Town City" - however our daughter was born in North Carolina and all we have is the County of Birth - but I've been informed (not reliably) that NC don't issue "FULL" certificates with the city/hospital of birth. The certificate does include the parents details - so really it's just the location... will this suffice?

BritInParis Jan 22nd 2014 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkini (Post 11092085)
I'm just getting around to doing this for our daughter (she is nearly two after all...) - in case bad things happen etc etc.

I noticed the form asks for "Name of Hospital" and "Town City" - however our daughter was born in North Carolina and all we have is the County of Birth - but I've been informed (not reliably) that NC don't issue "FULL" certificates with the city/hospital of birth. The certificate does include the parents details - so really it's just the location... will this suffice?

Pretty certain they do. It's just that it's the 'long form' version is not given out as standard. Best way to clarify the situation is to call them and order the long form version if available.

http://vitalrecords.nc.gov/contacts.htm

MarylandNed Jan 23rd 2014 3:50 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11092102)
Pretty certain they do. It's just that it's the 'long form' version is not given out as standard. Best way to clarify the situation is to call them and order the long form version if available.

http://vitalrecords.nc.gov/contacts.htm

Agreed. At least that was the case for my daughter who was born in Maryland. The short form version is issued by default. I had to contact Maryland's Vital Statistics Administration and specifically explain that I wanted a long form version of my daughter's birth certificate that included full details of both parents.

Gillymonkey Jan 23rd 2014 4:24 am

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 11092290)
Agreed. At least that was the case for my daughter who was born in Maryland. The short form version is issued by default. I had to contact Maryland's Vital Statistics Administration and specifically explain that I wanted a long form version of my daughter's birth certificate that included full details of both parents.

I was the same with the California certificate. I had to explain why I wanted what they called the 'confidential' copy. I was instructed to be very careful who I sent it to which bemused me since it has no more info than a British birth cert.

BritInParis Jan 23rd 2014 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey (Post 11092304)
I was the same with the California certificate. I had to explain why I wanted what they called the 'confidential' copy. I was instructed to be very careful who I sent it to which bemused me since it has no more info than a British birth cert.

Very different rules in place. Births, deaths and marriages are a matter of public record in the UK and anyone can order anyone else's certificate providing they have the relevant details. The US (and Australia) have very strict rules about the release of the 'long form' certificates. The furore over the release of Obama's full BC to appease the 'birthers' was pretty amusing as in the UK anyone could have just ordered a copy from the GRO.

MarylandNed Jan 23rd 2014 4:42 pm

They also want photocopies of the current UK passports for the parents. Does anyone know if they accept expired UK passports or if they actually have to be valid? I'm wondering about the case where the most recent UK passport has expired and has not yet been renewed.

Gillymonkey Jan 23rd 2014 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 11093289)
They also want the current UK passports for the parents. Does anyone know if they accept expired UK passports or if they actually have to be valid? I'm wondering about the case where the most recent UK passport has expired and has not yet been renewed.

They shouldn't ask you to send your actual passports in - just copies. My understanding is that for most visa classes it is a legal requirement to be in possession of your passport at all times....

MarylandNed Jan 23rd 2014 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey (Post 11093315)
They shouldn't ask you to send your actual passports in - just copies. My understanding is that for most visa classes it is a legal requirement to be in possession of your passport at all times....

Right and I amended my post. They do want photocopies of the parents' most recent UK passports. My question is whether the most recent UK passport actually has to be valid? Or can it be expired? For example, someone whose most recent UK passport has expired and has not been renewed.