Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Registering Babies in USA ?

Registering Babies in USA ?

Old Jun 25th 2009, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

SJandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Registering Babies in USA ?

My wife and I just had twin girls born 4 weeks ago.
I am a dual citizen and she is on a L1 visa. (living in Dallas, TX for past 4 years)
How do we go about getting the babies a British passport, even though
they were born here ?

Went to UKinUSA website and getting confused
and going round in circles

Can i directly apply directly for passports for them using C2 form
or whats this i keep reading about "registering" ?

Any help would be great !

Thanks

Sj
Old Jun 25th 2009, 2:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering Babies in USA ?

Yes, you can apply directly for their US Passports. When you say you are a dual citizen is one of those citizenships US? If so, why is your wife currently here on an L1 instead of waiting for residency based on marriage to a USC? At least in that way, she would start the clock towards citizenship.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 2:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes, you can apply directly for their US Passports.
He wants to get UK passports for the girls.

SJ - http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-...register-birth. You should register their birth, and once that's done, the C2 form is the correct one to use.

Ian
Old Jun 25th 2009, 2:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
He wants to get UK passports for the girls.

SJ - http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-...register-birth. You should register their birth, and once that's done, the C2 form is the correct one to use.

Ian

Then why the heck is he asking in a US Immigration forum?

And I should learn to read ... DUH!
Old Jun 25th 2009, 3:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

<shrug> I dunno... I'm just here to help!

I understand! As I've gotten older, I've discovered that my memory isn't as good as it used to be. Oh... and my memory isn't as good as it used to be.

Ian
Old Jun 25th 2009, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Yes, you can apply directly for their US Passports. When you say you are a dual citizen is one of those citizenships US? If so, why is your wife currently here on an L1 instead of waiting for residency based on marriage to a USC? At least in that way, she would start the clock towards citizenship.
i just became a citizen, wife was preggers and couldnt do the medical exam for INS, because it involves Shots and vaccinations.
Been lazy and haven't gone to post office and applied for US passport yet
Old Jun 25th 2009, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

thanks for this, however none of the consulates have a phone number for general questions ( and can't find info for registering on website )
either houston's or washington
Old Jun 25th 2009, 7:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SJandy
thanks for this, however none of the consulates have a phone number for general questions ( and can't find info for registering on website )
How about our very own BE Wiki section? http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...h_Registration

Rene
Old Jun 26th 2009, 12:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, the wiki is great, and there's loads of past threads.

The registration at a consulate isn't a requirement, but it will make life easier on the kid in the future in event of losing passport and you happen to be dead kind of thing.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Registering Babies in USA ?

Go to www.UKinUSA.fco.gov.uk

Click on "Help For British nationals" on the left hand side of the screen;

Click on the "Living in the USA" box in the centre of the screen;

Click on the "Birth Registration" box in the centre of the screen.

Dean
Old Jun 26th 2009, 4:38 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

wife was preggers and couldnt do the medical exam for INS, because it involves Shots and vaccinations.
FYI for future readers, the immigration medical can accommodate pregnancy; it's not a reason to put off getting one's status if otherwise qualified.