Reload this Page >

Registered alien to citizen

Registered alien to citizen

Old Oct 7th 2002, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

SCCOOK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Registered alien to citizen

Hi,

Having lived in blissful ignorance for 20 years after leaving the UK for NJ as an IR6 with my US wife and three kids I have finally resolved to apply for naturalization. Up until now I was unaware that male RA's needed to register for selective service; my understanding at the time being that it wasnt necessary. I dont recall ever being appraised of the need during the alien registration process but lately upon doing research I find the requirement to register changed for those born after 1/1/1960. I was born in 7/60.

The question is, is this a show-stopper or should I apply for the 'letter' and pursue the application?

Thanks for any advice.

SC.
Old Oct 7th 2002, 3:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registered alien to citizen

It is quite possible that 20 years ago it was not mandatory. Go to the selective service page. I believe it tells you what to do if you "should have" registered and "didn't".

As for people currently being apprised of this fact, no they are not. It is the obligation of those migrating to find out what is required of them when they choose to make a certain country their home. A stupid attitude of the government perhaps but then again, perhaps not ;-)

Also those who apply for adjustment of status are "automatically" registered for the Selective Service so the obligation is met for them. It is not, however, met for illegal immigrants who are also required to register.

Rete

Originally posted by SCCOOK:
Hi,

Having lived in blissful ignorance for 20 years after leaving the UK for NJ as an IR6 with my US wife and three kids I have finally resolved to apply for naturalization. Up until now I was unaware that male RA's needed to register for selective service; my understanding at the time being that it wasnt necessary. I dont recall ever being appraised of the need during the alien registration process but lately upon doing research I find the requirement to register changed for those born after 1/1/1960. I was born in 7/60.

The question is, is this a show-stopper or should I apply for the 'letter' and pursue the application?

Thanks for any advice.

SC.
Old Oct 7th 2002, 5:28 pm
Andy Platt

I would apply for the letter. I think one of the reasons that the INS
started instigating the policy of registering those who were eligible
automatically was because the rules were not clearly understood before. I
bet that they were even less publicized in 1982 when you came here.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.
"SCCOOK" wrote in message
news:435840.1034004468@britishexpats-
.com
    > Hi,
    > Having lived in blissful ignorance for 20 years after leaving the UK for
    > NJ as an IR6 with my US wife and three kids I have finally resolved to
    > apply for naturalization. Up until now I was unaware that male RA's
    > needed to register for selective service; my understanding at the time
    > being that it wasnt necessary. I dont recall ever being appraised of the
    > need during the alien registration process but lately upon doing
    > research I find the requirement to register changed for those born after
    > 1/1/1960. I was born in 7/60.
    > The question is, is this a show-stopper or should I apply for the
    > 'letter' and pursue the application?
    > Thanks for any advice.
    > SC.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 7th 2002, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by SCCOOK:
Hi,

Thanks for any advice.

SC.
Hi:

Without going into the mechanics of it, if you willfuly failed to put in your selective registration when required to do so, you cannot file for naturalization until after your THIRTY-FIRST birthday.

Given the fact that you are now 40 years old, I'm of the opinion that you can file with no problem. However, dont always assume that INS can count [I'm fighting a case where INS had to file something within five years of September 12, 1996 and they filed on September 17, 2001 -- they even acknowledge the law! Go figure].
Old Oct 7th 2002, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

SCCOOK is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Registered alien to citizen

Originally posted by Folinskyinla:

Hi:

Without going into the mechanics of it, if you willfuly failed to put in your selective registration when required to do so, you cannot file for naturalization until after your THIRTY-FIRST birthday.

Given the fact that you are now 40 years old, I'm of the opinion that you can file with no problem. However, dont always assume that INS can count [I'm fighting a case where INS had to file something within five years of September 12, 1996 and they filed on September 17, 2001 -- they even acknowledge the law! Go figure].
Thanks to all for the prompt responses.

SC.