Reform!!!

Old May 18th 2017, 9:59 am
Just Joined

team6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Reform!!!

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Unfortunately your perception that the U.K. "lets in people very easily" is wrong. My story is just one case that proves that this simply isn't true. My husband has a criminal record from over 20 years ago (long before we met) and this has given him a lifetime ban from the U.K. - despite being married to a British citizen and having been law-abiding ever since. If the roles were reversed and I had a theft conviction from over 20 years ago, I would at least have a chance at living in the USA with a waiver. No such thing in the U.K. Many Americans here also feel that the USA "lets in people very easily" - hence the popularity of Mr Trump with certain groups of people. It's not until you actually try to immigrate or try to bring someone into a country do you realize just how hard it is to come legally. People I work with here were shocked that it took my husband almost a year to bring his wife into the country from the U.K. and that I had to have s medical, etc. They were also under the impression that anyone can just "stroll in". And I think the USA is a lot more open than the U.K. Take the F-4 category, for example, siblings of USCs can obtain permanent residency here (and subsequently citizenship) all based on the fact that a sibling happens to be a USC. I don't know of any other country that has such an open door.
My husband and I worked out that when I take citizenship in 2019, we could theoretically petition another 20 people: my parents, my 4 siblings, their spouses and their (between them) 10 children, assuming that finances and timing are on our side. So from one person getting married to an American citizen 21 people can theoretically obtain residency. You only need to look at threads on immigration forums to see that many from developing countries do indeed petition for a host of family members before the ink is even dry on their citizenship certificate. That's not possible in the U.K.
well if he done a silly crime like theft i would be annoyed that he didnt get in aswel but as he got knocked back i can only imagine it was far worse.

I did say i felt as if the uk was easy as everything is suffering here housing/nhs/schools are packed..i feel we are very populated .

sponsoring all the family members you would need good finances as i am sure you need to support them all if they go out work as they wouldnt be intitled to welfare ?

which i think should be something the uk should look into doing
Old May 18th 2017, 10:09 am
Just Joined

team6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond reputeteam6 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reform!!!

Originally Posted by tom169
I'd say it's very easy to come to the UK as a citizen of an EU country... for now.
I watched a program the other night here in the uk called humans for sale....very scary what these people are doing ...promising these people a better life and then selling them..forced marriage..working for pennies...prostitution and i know these things happen all the time but one area in glasgow is an absolute s**thole..it was a nice area with a great seconadary...now its been reported in one month 36 robberies ..whats going to happen to this country? i feel like the government arent doing enough and again i may be wrong but this is happening 10miles from where i live...oh an also on the show someone selling his and his partners organs...wtf
Old May 18th 2017, 10:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by team6

sponsoring all the family members you would need good finances as i am sure you need to support them all if they go out work as they wouldnt be intitled to welfare ?

which i think should be something the uk should look into doing
They do. That's why it's so hard for UKC to sponsor their spouses. They have to earn a certain amount and have a certain amount in the bank for a period of time.

It is not easy for someone outside the EU to migrate to the UK regardless of how crowded you think the UK is and the vast majority of the UK is green and unpopulated.
Old May 18th 2017, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
They do. That's why it's so hard for UKC to sponsor their spouses. They have to earn a certain amount and have a certain amount in the bank for a period of time.

It is not easy for someone outside the EU to migrate to the UK regardless of how crowded you think the UK is and the vast majority of the UK is green and unpopulated.
well i have never had to try... we have a great problem with immigrating...i have had to make a doctors appointment for my daughter who is getting treated for asthma and i have to wait until 30th may and i made it last fri? years back i could get one in days....i also have been waiting on a hip operation and because bed shortage i have been warned it may get cancelled..which i have already been waiting on for years? one of the top kids hospitals turned kids away because no space it happening more and more and would love to know what the future will look like if they dont address this issue. i have never lived in another country and always worked yet i cant get council housing so i pay a fortune for rent but pay into the system hows that right...i think the country has a great problem ahead
Old May 18th 2017, 1:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
They do. That's why it's so hard for UKC to sponsor their spouses. They have to earn a certain amount and have a certain amount in the bank for a period of time. ....
That's not necessarily true, because if you earn the specified amount you don't have to have any savings and the specified minimum amount that you need to be earning is pretty derisory. It isn't much more per week than I was earning laboring in a warehouse when I had a summer job when I was a student, and that wasn't exactly yesterday. Granted many people don't earn that much, but IMO that is an education/training issue, not an immigration issue.
Old May 18th 2017, 2:44 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

well i have never had to try... we have a great problem with immigrating...i have had to make a doctors appointment for my daughter who is getting treated for asthma and i have to wait until 30th may and i made it last fri? years back i could get one in days....i also have been waiting on a hip operation and because bed shortage i have been warned it may get cancelled..which i have already been waiting on for years? one of the top kids hospitals turned kids away because no space it happening more and more and would love to know what the future will look like if they dont address this issue. i have never lived in another country and always worked yet i cant get council housing so i pay a fortune for rent but pay into the system hows that right...i think the country has a great problem ahead
These are all real problems but they wouldn't necessarily be solved by reducing immigration. There's an election coming up, you need to vote for the candidate in your constituency who will undertake to increase the number of council housing units in your area and increase funding for the NHS.
Old May 18th 2017, 2:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
.... you need to vote for the candidate in your constituency who will undertake to .... increase funding for the NHS.
NHS funding has increased from less than 10% of government spending to over 30%. Please can you clarify what level of spending on the NHS will be sufficient?

Disclosure: This is a trick question - there are already enough cures, treatments, procedures, and therapies to consume 100% of government revenue. Without some form of spending cap and treatment rationing the NHS will bankrupt the country.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 18th 2017 at 3:39 pm.
Old May 18th 2017, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

As Robin said, these are all real issues, the severity of which varies enormously across the UK. They are due to a failure of successive UK governments (of all parties) who have have not done enough to plan for the population increases and to invest enough in the infrastructure of the country. For example a generation ago, government introduced the right-to-buy your council house, but councils were forbidden to re-invest the money in building more council houses. Government also loosened the restrictions on lending, leading to a stupid credit crisis and ridiculous house prices. Have we got the right balance between building on green land/brown land, what are the incentives, are builders land-banking too much due to the supply/demand economics pushing up house prices? It's not simple...

I would also assert they have not done enough to ensure we have enough university places to train future doctors, nurses, pharmacists, technicians etc to staff the NHS, and it wouldn't have taken much imagination to ensure a sufficient stream of UK students to fill those places (eg offering grants to those students conditional on them working for the NHS for a period of time like 10 years). There might be plenty of immigrants using the NHS, but then there also plenty of immigrants staffing the NHS, and should they all decide to return to their country of origin then that will be a disaster. 26% of all doctors are not British - 10% from the EU and 16% from the RoW.
Old May 18th 2017, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
NHS funding has increased from less than 10% of government spending to over 30%. Please can you clarify when spending on the NHS will be sufficient?
Where do you get that figure from? It's currently running at 18.8%. (page 5)
Old May 18th 2017, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Where do you get that figure from? It's currently running at 18.8%. (page 5)
I don't remember, I read it just a few weeks ago, but in any case it is unrealistic to expect healthcare spending to consume an ever greater percentage of government expenditure.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 18th 2017 at 4:08 pm.
Old May 18th 2017, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't remember, I read it just a few weeks ago,
oh how convenient, maybe you need to get better sources

but in any case it is unrealistic to expect healthcare spending to consume an ever greater percentage of government expenditure.
Not really, it's entirely possible to either change spending priorities if they don't want to increase overall spending, or raise additional income if they do. Not rocket science, and there is a clear alternative with the major political parties offering different visions (LibDems putting up income tax by 1p for example). We have a choice and a vote to use.
Old May 18th 2017, 5:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

That's where you live, but there are plenty of less populated areas of the UK where that's not the case. I've never not managed to get a doctors appointment for the same day for example. If you've got a long wait ahead of you and want to move to somewhere less populated in the meantime, then why not head to Suffolk, or Shropshire etc? I'm assuming you live in a city from what you've said?

None of what you've mentioned is immigrants faults (unless you read the Daily Mail or the Express in which case, of course everything is immigrants fault, including global warming no doubt ). And as said above, it's no easier for somebody from the US to move to the UK than it is for you to move there.
Old May 18th 2017, 5:54 pm

oh how convenient, maybe you need to get better sources

Not really, it's entirely possible to either change spending priorities if they don't want to increase overall spending, or raise additional income if they do. .....
Given that I was talking about percentages, do you have any suggestions for increasing spending above 100%? ..... Which makes me think - borrowing is the difference! .... The data you linked is percentage of spending, but the UK budget is far from balanced .... the numbers I read recently were percentage of income (tax revenue), which is why your figures show 18% and I read "over 30%".
Old May 18th 2017, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Given that I was talking about percentages, do you have any suggestions for increasing spending above 100%?
if you don't want to increase overall spending, but want to increase spending on healthcare, then you need to spend less on something else.

..... Which makes me think - borrowing is the difference! .... The data you linked is percentage of spending, but the UK budget is far from balanced .... the numbers I read recently were percentage of income (tax revenue), which is why your figures show 18% and I read "over 30%".
FFS Pulaski, your exact quote was:
NHS funding has increased from less than 10% of government spending to over 30%.
And you're still wrong, because the very next page of the budget I linked to previously shows health spending at 20.3% of income.

I'd suggest double checking such easily verifiable facts before basing your arguments on "something I read".
Old May 18th 2017, 9:46 pm

if you don't want to increase overall spending, but want to increase spending on healthcare, then you need to spend less on something else. ....
NSS
... FFS Pulaski, your exact quote was:
I used the wrong word. Sorry. Are you happy now?
... And you're still wrong, because the very next page of the budget I linked to previously shows health spending at 20.3% of income. ....
A shift from 18% to 20% when shifting from "percentage of spending" to "percentage of income" implies a budget deficit of less than 2%, which clearly isn't correct either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.