Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Reflections after 20 years in the US

Reflections after 20 years in the US

Old May 19th 2021, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Reflections after 20 years in the US

I've been living in the US for almost 20 years. I first visited the US back in 1988. For me growing up in the dreary '70's and 80's, the US, as portrayed on US TV shows that were broadcast in the UK, was a panacea, well at least for this impressionable teenager! When I graduated as a wide eyed boy from the flat Fenlands of Cambridge, the US was a country of wonder and mystery. They were the leaders of the free world, they put man on the moon, the space shuttle was a marvel of technology and everything cool and innovative seemed to be coming from the USA. I was amazed by the size of the country as I took my first ever flight from Gatwick to Austin via Dallas. Vast open spaces, mountains, desserts, parries and farms slid by the airplane window, and then I landed on the moon, well at least the huge metropolis of DFW. I was stunned by the size of the country. In 1988 I started working for the just-opened office of a US company who are based in Austin, TX. I visited Austin 2-3 times a year for more than a decade, with the intention of one day living in the land of the free and home of the brave. Just after 9/11 we moved, two 30 somethings with a bun in the oven and got the sprawling house with the pool, the Jaguar and the SUV, and a young American-born baby and life was, well, er, just not quite right.... Life was confusing, nothing made sense, costs for everything were insane and healthcare was a minefield. Whilst I worked longer hours and took home more than I had in the UK, it felt as if money constantly dripped away like water out of a sieve – on food, insurance, co-insurance, co-pays deductibles, huge monthly electricity and water bills, insane house and car insurance, HOA fees, you name it, someone always had their hand in your pocket. I was also pretty turned off by the constant enquiries as to what church you attended. More than once, I've had someone turn their back and walk away with not another word ever said when I answered that I didn't follow organized religion. I learned very early on that I should never ever talk with others about politics, guns or god. I was also genuinely shocked at the amount of racism, sexism and work-related nepotism I was surrounded by. I'll never forget the time that I went out for dinner and I was in the restroom taking a leak when an older Texan in full cowboy regalia and a gun at his hip started telling me how he had to ask his server to move his family because that had seated a family of n-word next to him and he would not tolerate sitting close to them. A full minute of racial diatribe from someone I had never met. I dared not open my mouth and reveal I was one of those pasty faced furriners.

Well, I rolled along, trying to fit into my new country. Probably around 3 years into my USA escapade I realized that I was starting to understand how things worked. However, I still longed to have deep enduring friendships, to have a laugh and a good time, but events and gatherings here always felt just a bit too organized and formal. Somewhere along the way I converted my L1A to a green card and some years later took the oath. It was a proud day, standing there with my 2 kids and my wife, living the dream. About that time my mum passed away after a long battle with cancer and my father started his slow decline into Alzheimer's. The trips back to the old country became less frequent. I started to get itchy feet and wanted to escape from the sweaty heat of the south. So I left the company I had been with for 23 years and upped sticks and moved to the cool, beautiful Pacific Northwest. Selling the house in Austin turned into a 6 month nightmare, with me in the new job and living in Portland and the wife and kids stuck in Austin. Eventually we sold the house, and lost money. Well Portland was much better from a weather, landscape and political outlook and I have to say my neighbors were great, Portland is the kind of place where people keep themselves to themselves but seem a lot more genuine.

I changed jobs again. Still looking for that rainbow unicorn of work life balance. My job required intense travel, I would regularly fly 100K+ miles a year, some years double or even triple that. I was never a political person and was happy that I voted for Obama twice. For a while things seemed to be going in the right direction.... But I could see that this country was divided and that US politicians were self-serving sniveling cretins who were in the pockets of whoever paid them. I was also very uncomfortable with the massive disparities in wealth, access to healthcare and many divisions that were being exposed. It really wasn't like this when I first came to the US. The wheels really came off the bus when Trump won. I could not stand by and see what this moron was doing to the country. Rampant, unfettered capitalisms was on full display and backed up with cronyism, stupidity and devise rhetoric. To me, this country is literally and figuratively falling apart, but the politicians keep telling the drooling masses that the US is the best country in the world, which is true if you are a 1%'er. For the rest, the slide continues. For those of us fortunate to have traveled to all corners of this planet, it is a very depressing sight to re-enter the country through any of the gateway airports, such as Newark, Chicago or even SFO. The decay is on full display. This country is heading into 3rd world status and her infrastructure is crumbling. And the root cause for me is that all the profit from companies is retuned to shareholders, not one cent is spent on investment and the tax system is so lopsided that companies make billions in profits, pay no tax and in some cases even get tax refunds, all whilst their workers are so underpaid that they need food stamps, child support, housing assistance and tax credits to scrape a living. Corporations are receiving massive subsidies and handouts, at the expense of the citizenry.

The rise of Trumpism was when I finally realized that this experiment wasn't working out and that I didn't want to be part of it. Last year, in the midst of the pandemic, I started to look for a job back in Europe, and was extremely lucky to land a job with a defined date next year for moving back to Europe, once my eldest son is out of HS. It helps that the company is German and that I can live anywhere in Europe. I am not naïve enough to believe that Europe is without problems, and I truly don't know whether Scotland, Ireland, France or Munich will be my next abode, but at least I am on the path. The UK is the #1 choice, but Brexit threw a spanner in the works, as my French wife no longer has the automatic right to live and work in the UK and will need some kind of visa. I am fortunate in that I have UK, US (and soon an Irish) passports, so can live anywhere in the UK or Europe.

Well, it's been a long rant, thanks for sticking with me!
Old May 19th 2021, 3:51 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reflections after 20 years in the US

Originally Posted by TimFountain
I've been living in the US for almost 20 years. I first visited the US back in 1988. For me growing up in the dreary '70's and 80's, the US, as portrayed on US TV shows that were broadcast in the UK, was a panacea, well at least for this impressionable teenager! When I graduated as a wide eyed boy from the flat Fenlands of Cambridge, the US was a country of wonder and mystery. They were the leaders of the free world, they put man on the moon, the space shuttle was a marvel of technology and everything cool and innovative seemed to be coming from the USA. I was amazed by the size of the country as I took my first ever flight from Gatwick to Austin via Dallas. Vast open spaces, mountains, desserts, parries and farms slid by the airplane window, and then I landed on the moon, well at least the huge metropolis of DFW. I was stunned by the size of the country. In 1988 I started working for the just-opened office of a US company who are based in Austin, TX. I visited Austin 2-3 times a year for more than a decade, with the intention of one day living in the land of the free and home of the brave. Just after 9/11 we moved, two 30 somethings with a bun in the oven and got the sprawling house with the pool, the Jaguar and the SUV, and a young American-born baby and life was, well, er, just not quite right.... Life was confusing, nothing made sense, costs for everything were insane and healthcare was a minefield. Whilst I worked longer hours and took home more than I had in the UK, it felt as if money constantly dripped away like water out of a sieve – on food, insurance, co-insurance, co-pays deductibles, huge monthly electricity and water bills, insane house and car insurance, HOA fees, you name it, someone always had their hand in your pocket. I was also pretty turned off by the constant enquiries as to what church you attended. More than once, I've had someone turn their back and walk away with not another word ever said when I answered that I didn't follow organized religion. I learned very early on that I should never ever talk with others about politics, guns or god. I was also genuinely shocked at the amount of racism, sexism and work-related nepotism I was surrounded by. I'll never forget the time that I went out for dinner and I was in the restroom taking a leak when an older Texan in full cowboy regalia and a gun at his hip started telling me how he had to ask his server to move his family because that had seated a family of n-word next to him and he would not tolerate sitting close to them. A full minute of racial diatribe from someone I had never met. I dared not open my mouth and reveal I was one of those pasty faced furriners.

Well, I rolled along, trying to fit into my new country. Probably around 3 years into my USA escapade I realized that I was starting to understand how things worked. However, I still longed to have deep enduring friendships, to have a laugh and a good time, but events and gatherings here always felt just a bit too organized and formal. Somewhere along the way I converted my L1A to a green card and some years later took the oath. It was a proud day, standing there with my 2 kids and my wife, living the dream. About that time my mum passed away after a long battle with cancer and my father started his slow decline into Alzheimer's. The trips back to the old country became less frequent. I started to get itchy feet and wanted to escape from the sweaty heat of the south. So I left the company I had been with for 23 years and upped sticks and moved to the cool, beautiful Pacific Northwest. Selling the house in Austin turned into a 6 month nightmare, with me in the new job and living in Portland and the wife and kids stuck in Austin. Eventually we sold the house, and lost money. Well Portland was much better from a weather, landscape and political outlook and I have to say my neighbors were great, Portland is the kind of place where people keep themselves to themselves but seem a lot more genuine.

I changed jobs again. Still looking for that rainbow unicorn of work life balance. My job required intense travel, I would regularly fly 100K+ miles a year, some years double or even triple that. I was never a political person and was happy that I voted for Obama twice. For a while things seemed to be going in the right direction.... But I could see that this country was divided and that US politicians were self-serving sniveling cretins who were in the pockets of whoever paid them. I was also very uncomfortable with the massive disparities in wealth, access to healthcare and many divisions that were being exposed. It really wasn't like this when I first came to the US. The wheels really came off the bus when Trump won. I could not stand by and see what this moron was doing to the country. Rampant, unfettered capitalisms was on full display and backed up with cronyism, stupidity and devise rhetoric. To me, this country is literally and figuratively falling apart, but the politicians keep telling the drooling masses that the US is the best country in the world, which is true if you are a 1%'er. For the rest, the slide continues. For those of us fortunate to have traveled to all corners of this planet, it is a very depressing sight to re-enter the country through any of the gateway airports, such as Newark, Chicago or even SFO. The decay is on full display. This country is heading into 3rd world status and her infrastructure is crumbling. And the root cause for me is that all the profit from companies is retuned to shareholders, not one cent is spent on investment and the tax system is so lopsided that companies make billions in profits, pay no tax and in some cases even get tax refunds, all whilst their workers are so underpaid that they need food stamps, child support, housing assistance and tax credits to scrape a living. Corporations are receiving massive subsidies and handouts, at the expense of the citizenry.

The rise of Trumpism was when I finally realized that this experiment wasn't working out and that I didn't want to be part of it. Last year, in the midst of the pandemic, I started to look for a job back in Europe, and was extremely lucky to land a job with a defined date next year for moving back to Europe, once my eldest son is out of HS. It helps that the company is German and that I can live anywhere in Europe. I am not naïve enough to believe that Europe is without problems, and I truly don't know whether Scotland, Ireland, France or Munich will be my next abode, but at least I am on the path. The UK is the #1 choice, but Brexit threw a spanner in the works, as my French wife no longer has the automatic right to live and work in the UK and will need some kind of visa. I am fortunate in that I have UK, US (and soon an Irish) passports, so can live anywhere in the UK or Europe.

I've been here longer than you. There are many good things about this country, and many good people in it trying to make it better. But I don't really fit, which isn't really the fault of the US, it's just the way it is. The cultures are very different. I am also in the process of hunting down UK work and hoping to make the move. My son is at uni in the UK and wants to stay there, so I particularly want to be in the same country as him. Lucky you getting the Europass!
Old May 19th 2021, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your move. It must be tough with your son being at Uni in the UK and you still here, doubly so with the travel issues that CV-19 has created. I think this sentence "But I really don't fit..." sums it up nicely.
Old May 19th 2021, 4:49 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your move. It must be tough with your son being at Uni in the UK and you still here, doubly so with the travel issues that CV-19 has created. I think this sentence "But I really don't fit..." sums it up nicely.
It's not great. I haven't seen him since the Christmas holiday of 2019/2020. Looking to get there for a visit at least within the next couple of months, but hoping that travel will get a little easier. If not, I'm going anyway.

Good luck with your move too. I keep meaning to scour BE for a long and complete list of stuff that has to happen. I'm sure it's here somewhere.
Old May 19th 2021, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

wisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond repute

I think your posts sum it up perfectly. For me the final straw was the last election and realizing exactly how fractured the country really is. We too will be moving in the next year or two but at that awkward age of needing to retire but not enough money yet. No EU passport sadly so will be back to the visa headaches as UK is not a preference..
Old May 19th 2021, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

To the contrary...Thank *you* for posting that
I was completely captivated / mesmerised.
I hope the challenge of the course you chart along your new path will be a more satisfying adventure.

Old May 19th 2021, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Peter124 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been here 41 years.

OP's post summarizes my feelings exactly. But with an American wife, and a wide circle of friends and activities in our local area, moving away would be a major lifestyle change. But, come 2024, if Mr. T. gets elected again, i think it will push us over the edge.
Old May 19th 2021, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

We have been here almost exactly the same time period, arrived 31st March 2000. After the debacle at the Capitol and then the big Freeze in February, my DH finally decided enough was enough! DH is retiring in 2023 or sooner and we will be ending back to Scotland. Wish my Irish ancestry was more recent as I would have liked an Irish passport to add to the collection. 😊
Old May 19th 2021, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Must say I have similar thoughts to TimFountain.

I frequently 'muse' about moving back ( Norfolk is my area of choice) but hubby thinks our standard of living will drop, especially with health services.. He likes his doctors and hospitals and with Medicare and a supplementary plan we have had very good experiences with the US health system.

I don't have rose tinted glasses about the UK (flytipping and yobs comes to mind), but I realise that many aspects of American life don't really suit me.
Old May 19th 2021, 8:19 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I’m lucky in that I never was captivated by the “American dream” phenomenon. No Jaguar, SUV, in-ground pool, massive house for me, so in the 40-plus years I’ve lived here, I’ve tried to live in much the same way as I’d have lived in England. I mean, we had a Subaru Outback, when we had two teenage kids, but as soon as practicable, we downsized back to a Toyota Yaris!

Well I guess we do have a massive house. It was built in 1859 (ish) and has been going downhill ever since.

We now have a pied-a-terre in England, a little flat in Norfolk, but since both our children are ensconced in the US, MA & CA, I want to move to England full time but my wife is looking to move to New York City. I mean, she likes Norfolk well enough, but ...
Old May 19th 2021, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

LegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond repute

Having just arrived in the U.S. from the last 20 years in the UK you will find it has also changed. This decline you refer to is not just the U.S., it feels to me like it is everywhere. I liked the UK initially, but after 20 years not so much.

Good luck with your next phase.
Old May 19th 2021, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LegalEagleTX
Having just arrived in the U.S. from the last 20 years in the UK you will find it has also changed. This decline you refer to is not just the U.S., it feels to me like it is everywhere. I liked the UK initially, but after 20 years not so much.

Good luck with your next phase.
Yes, definitely appreciate that. We saw that when my son live in Edinburgh for nearly 3 yrs. If Sturgeon goes for an independence vote, it will most likely be in 2024 and this time, my Scottish HB will have a say. Last time, it was a No (he couldn't vote) but this time, depends what 3 yrs of Brexit has brought upon us. As an English woman, I am also in 2 minds. My very home counties English family think they should have a say. They don't appreciate that is exactly why the Scots want independence, to free themselves of London and the south of England. Apparently, a sentiment that is felt in the North of England as well, plus they want to get rid of the Scots. Nothing different from a 1000 + yrs of history😂🤣. Definitely an era of change. I just feel more comfortable in my skin back in the UK as you, no doubt, feel more comfortable over here.
Old May 19th 2021, 9:38 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

I frequently 'muse' about moving back ( Norfolk is my area of choice) but hubby thinks our standard of living will drop, especially with health services.. He likes his doctors and hospitals and with Medicare and a supplementary plan we have had very good experiences with the US health system.
I will clock up the big five-oh in the US next year and although I've been perfectly content with my life here, I've always had a vision of moving back to the UK to end my days, hopefully spending time with my sister. Two years ago she became ill out of the blue and I lost her to cancer last year. During her illness, my USC OH and I were frequently flabbergasted by the sluggish rate of the care she received (which her family, very bright people with private insurance) seemed to find perfectly normal. Things like a month's wait for her first surgery; the product of scans and other tests being outsourced overseas, with a delay of weeks before being given the results, and special wraps to help her legs coming from Europe (apparently by mule train, going by the speed).Compare that to when I developed a serious vision problem last July. I called my eye doctor and explained to the receptionist what was going on. Ten minutes later I got a call back saying get yourself to the office immediately. After they examined me they got me into see a retina specialist the following morning and he commenced treatment to save the sight in one eye. (Note: we have both been self-employed for decades, so always paid for our own insurance coverage before reaching Medicare age.)

During the Trump years I often suggested to my OH, only half joking, that we move to the UK, and it was the health service, which he had witnessed through my sister's illness, that was his one big problem with a move. And now that I feel very dependent on my eye specialists, I have begun to share his feelings.
Old May 20th 2021, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

I decided to leave the UK for good when I realised that Brexit has won. Trump was one election cycle whereas Brexit will impact decades to come.
Old May 20th 2021, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I will clock up the big five-oh in the US next year and although I've been perfectly content with my life here, I've always had a vision of moving back to the UK to end my days, hopefully spending time with my sister. Two years ago she became ill out of the blue and I lost her to cancer last year. During her illness, my USC OH and I were frequently flabbergasted by the sluggish rate of the care she received (which her family, very bright people with private insurance) seemed to find perfectly normal. Things like a month's wait for her first surgery; the product of scans and other tests being outsourced overseas, with a delay of weeks before being given the results, and special wraps to help her legs coming from Europe (apparently by mule train, going by the speed).Compare that to when I developed a serious vision problem last July. I called my eye doctor and explained to the receptionist what was going on. Ten minutes later I got a call back saying get yourself to the office immediately. After they examined me they got me into see a retina specialist the following morning and he commenced treatment to save the sight in one eye. (Note: we have both been self-employed for decades, so always paid for our own insurance coverage before reaching Medicare age.)

During the Trump years I often suggested to my OH, only half joking, that we move to the UK, and it was the health service, which he had witnessed through my sister's illness, that was his one big problem with a move. And now that I feel very dependent on my eye specialists, I have begun to share his feelings.
As far as eyes are concerned, I have suffered bouts of Iritis over the last thirty years. In the UK there are very few specialists that will touch it and the care was always prompt with plenty of repeat visits booked during flare ups. Here, not only does my health insurance kick up a fuss whenever they are billed for eyecare, it would appear that every opthalmologist considers themselves capable of treating Iritis and they send you away with a script for a $250 10ml bottle of Pred Forte and tell you to come back in two weeks. Can't say that I'm overly impressed that such a blasé attitude prevails toward a condition that can blind you in three days if not dealt with properly.

My other main gripe is the sheer cost of healthcare, I'm insured through my wife's education board system, there is no way I can afford my own insurance. Come August, my wife's insurance will finish and if she doesn't get a job with healthcare thrown in we will be uninsured in a state where we have to earn less than $1500/month to qualify for medicaid. Even though we are insured, and my wife pays an extortionate monthly amount to keep me on her insurance, I still got hit for a total of $2400 in bills following a trip to the ER with a bit of a cramp. The figure the medical establishment reckoned was worth trying for with our insurers was in excess of $24,000, just to reiterate, that was for a cramp which was cured with a script for hefty muscle relaxants. At our age, we can't afford to be uninsured and yet we find ourselves in a position where it may soon just not be possible and even then no-one ever knows if their next medical hiccup will be the one that bankrupts them and leaves them homeless because the insurance company doesn't fancy stumping up.

The UK may have it's yobs but it's only in the US, (and only 7 years at that) that I'm now going to start using my other hand to count the gunshot victims I knew of.
Obviously, I can't speak for the States as a whole but if you have a few bucks it is easier to extricate yourself from real life and live in a sanitary gated community with all the other nice white folks. however, I live and work among the same type of people that I did in the UK and it never ceases to amaze me how many US folks of my age have long since buried their parents, my last remaining grandmother only died recently and not one of my many siblings has yet to rid themselves of an in-law.... Americans in my social group just don't seem to live as long as their UK counterparts, which is odd considering how proud they are of their health system....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.