Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

On reflection where would you be...

Wikiposts

On reflection where would you be...

Old Jun 18th 2009, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

mekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nice
Default Re: On reflection where would you be...

One of the important things about moving to the USA is your expectations and the kind of job you can obtain - If I didn't have the qualifications and position I have in the US then i would not be here. I see that there is less vacation time - many people have to work two jobs just to stay still. If you are a professional with skills that are marketable and wanted here then this may be the place for you. If you do not have these skills life can be struggle just like in the UK. I am a professor with tenure and on a 9 month contract so i have the summers free unless i want to teach in the summer then i can earn more money.
The longer i am here the more difficult it becomes to leave and go back to the UK. My daughters are at uni here so whatever happens i need to stay until they finish but at the same time i cannot see myself back in the UK for a good while - i want to enjoy the us and explore as many places as possible.
The are advantages and disadvantages everywhere you live - nowhere is perfect!!! The US is a huge country compared with the UK and you have to see each on its own with its strengths and weaknesses.
julia

Last edited by mekadag; Jun 18th 2009 at 1:33 am.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

I seem to be the same as pretty much everyone here.

Better house & environment here. More money. Better relationship with other half (ie we live together).
Work longer hours, crappy vacation.

I just don't like cars over here. They all seem boring and a bit crap to me? Also restaurants are great here but they can get a bit samey (is that a word?). Anyway that's just me.

I absolutely love living here in USA, but when I go back to visit UK I hate leaving. I always wish i could stay longer. I guess my heart will never really leave England?
Old Jun 18th 2009, 3:58 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

If I were still in the UK I'd probably still be renting a small flat, have no car as I wouldn't have bothered learning to drive, have a crap job due to not being able to drive to a better one and be single but have several level 80 World of Warcraft characters.

Over here I own a 4 bedroom house, couple of cars, have a job that doesn't involve spending half the day in meetings and end up doing nothing, a wife and a son with another kid on the way.

I definitely prefer it here. I've not visited the UK since I left but that's because I've had too much to do and buy over here plus I absolutely hate flying. Though I've only been here 2 years. Maybe when my kids are a bit older and maybe not have as many dogs and cats to worry about I might consider it.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

20masonroad will become famous soon enough

Been here 7 years, much better bigger house, money is about the same, hours I work are less, vacation time sucks, but the company are more willing to be flexible, minutes from countryside, maybe not quiet the cotswolds, but within 70 minutes, peace tranquility and silence....Better food, better service, shopping is better and far better value.....I'm about to leave today for the U.K. for 10 days or so, I feel every time I go back, which is every year, the U.K. becomes a more desperate place to be.....It always seems dirty and grubby, people's idea of "places to eat" seem woefully bad....Service is "take it or leave it" attitude, and it sure is small there!
Old Jun 19th 2009, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Been in the US (on and off) for about ten years, lived in 4 different States.
Our houses in the US are always bigger, newer but not necessarily better built than in the UK, I know we couldn't afford the homes/lifestyle we have here if we were back in the UK. Having said that, Hubby and I are presently paying for two separate households in separate states, so not seeing too much of extra money from his paycheck these days.
If given the opportunity 'today' (may change tomorrow), I would move anywhere to get us all back togeather! (even Florida!)

I have enjoyed living in the US, mostly, I got my USC recently and planned on being here forever, I have good friends/neighbours. My oldest Son is in US Navy and married now, my youngest has 2 yrs of high school left, I hate to admit it, but I am feeling pretty homesick for the UK lately, my youngest would love to go back for a visit, but doesn't want to leave IL (again)

I only have 2 sisters left over there now and hubby has most of his family still living here, it wouldn't make much sense for us to 'move' back home, but I am really needing to go to visit soon. I am hoping it will make me appreciate (again) what we have here and stop whining

I didn't really have a choice in our living here, but on reflection, I wouldn't change a thing, even though I am in a 'funk' right now.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by radion
OK,
So another post for a bit of thinking....
Do you feel better off for moving to the US as opposed to staying in the UK.
Regarding your lifestyle, do you have a better house, better environment, poss. better hours, better relationship with the other half etc etc...

Do you feel more settled in the US rather than in the UK....

And finally for this post, do you visit the UK and feel you are happier in the US or feel like coming home to the UK....
Been here in Ottawa, Canada, since 1963 and never gave it a thought to return. Yes to both of your first questions and the last time I visted the UK was in 1982. Not a pleasant experience and was glad to get home.

I feel we have the best of both UK and US lifestyles here, although I do love my yearly 2 month winter stays in San Diego.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 5:35 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Been in the US (on and off) for about ten years, lived in 4 different States.
Our houses in the US are always bigger, newer but not necessarily better built than in the UK, I know we couldn't afford the homes/lifestyle we have here if we were back in the UK. Having said that, Hubby and I are presently paying for two separate households in separate states, so not seeing too much of extra money from his paycheck these days.
If given the opportunity 'today' (may change tomorrow), I would move anywhere to get us all back togeather! (even Florida!)

I have enjoyed living in the US, mostly, I got my USC recently and planned on being here forever, I have good friends/neighbours. My oldest Son is in US Navy and married now, my youngest has 2 yrs of high school left, I hate to admit it, but I am feeling pretty homesick for the UK lately, my youngest would love to go back for a visit, but doesn't want to leave IL (again)

I only have 2 sisters left over there now and hubby has most of his family still living here, it wouldn't make much sense for us to 'move' back home, but I am really needing to go to visit soon. I am hoping it will make me appreciate (again) what we have here and stop whining

I didn't really have a choice in our living here, but on reflection, I wouldn't change a thing, even though I am in a 'funk' right now.
Don't ever stop whining - that would mean you were no longer British (it's in our nature!)
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:42 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I go home twice a year and after 2 days I am ready to come back to the US its great to see mum but thats it, I hope and pray it will not be for many years to come but if nature takes it course and mother goes 1st, then I will probably never return to the UK ever again.
Shouldn't you be going back to England twice a year and after 2 days be ready to come home?
Old Jun 19th 2009, 11:53 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
Shouldn't you be going back to England twice a year and after 2 days be ready to come home?
Smart ass
Old Jun 20th 2009, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Don't ever stop whining - that would mean you were no longer British (it's in our nature!)
Good point!!
Old Jun 20th 2009, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to behold

I see that we all agree that there are good and bad points to both countries. At the moment my daughter is back in the UK on holiday visiting family for the summer, i find myself in deep thought wondering if things have changed a lot since we left. I am feeling quite homesick at the moment but i am so happy for her though because she is spending time with her old friends and family and i know she is having fun, this is her reward for doing so well at school this year.
I really need some proper garlic and chips with cheese melted all over the top!