Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Redundancy, re-entering US on visa

Redundancy, re-entering US on visa

Old Jun 15th 2004, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

gillian77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Redundancy, re-entering US on visa

I was made redunandant yesterday. I have 45 days to leave the country (H1B visa sponsored by my company - of course they are no longer sponsoring it). I already have a UK trip planned next week to see family. My concern is, will they let me back in the US on my visa? It will still be valid for another 30 days, but the system may show me as "visa about to expire", and they may be suspicious.

Has anyone tried to re-enter the US after being made redundant? Should I play safe and have a return ticket to the UK to wave at them?

Gillian
Old Jun 15th 2004, 12:46 pm
Wiggle

Gillian, you might get a better response if you post this in the US Immigration forum. They deal with alot of questions like this in there.

Old Jun 15th 2004, 12:49 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Redundancy, re-entering US on visa

Originally posted by gillian77
I was made redunandant yesterday. I have 45 days to leave the country (H1B visa sponsored by my company - of course they are no longer sponsoring it). I already have a UK trip planned next week to see family. My concern is, will they let me back in the US on my visa? It will still be valid for another 30 days, but the system may show me as "visa about to expire", and they may be suspicious.

Has anyone tried to re-enter the US after being made redundant? Should I play safe and have a return ticket to the UK to wave at them?

Gillian
I think your answer could probably be found in the British Expats forum named "US Visas". Have a search for similar posts and if you can't find the answer, please post in that forum.

My gut feeling is that your H1B is invalid as soon as you're made redundant because it is tied to a specific employer. So, you cannot enter the US on your existing H1B because it will be invalid. Even entering on the Visa Waiver may be dodgy because immigration would be able to see that you had an H1B immediately prior to your entering the US.

I'm not a lawyer so it'd be best to check out the US Visas forum for more knowledgeable information.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 12:58 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

technically you have to leave the country right now as you are out of status as you are no longer employed

re-entering on your (invalid) H1B is possible (albeit illegal) and could get you deported if you ever wish to come back to the USA if they find out

i know this is not helpful information - sorry