Reduction in US Social Security due to UK State Pension

Reduction in US Social Security due to UK State Pension

Old Feb 4th 2016, 11:53 pm
JJF
Just Joined

JJF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reduction in US Social Security due to UK State Pension

Hi,

I am receiving US SS benefits, and I am about to approach them with info on my UK pension. I have been told that they need to know how many qualifying years were from NIC's from work and how many were from voluntary NIC's. (Took a while to get this from the Pension Service.) Is this correct?

is there any other information SSA will need to evaluate how much they will reduce my SS benefits?

Many thanks.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 12:57 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reduction in US Social Security due to UK State Pension

If you have paid 30 years of contributions into SS your benefit will not be reduced, if less than 30 years it will. When taking your UK pension into account the amount you receive as a result of the voluntary contributions will not be used to calculate the deduction in your SS. SSA will need to know the amount of your UK pension and how it was calculated.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 2:02 am
JJF
Just Joined

Thanks for the response, lansbury.

Over the phone, I was told by HMRC that all I needed was a schedule of my contributions. They sent me one, but it does not record the first nine years of my working contributions and was missing the last one. I called again and they sent another. This contains the last missing year, but still does not show the first nine.

The accompanying letter does state that I have 30 qualifying years, and the schedule does show 19 years of voluntary contributions. Does that meet the SSA's need to see how the pension was calculated or should I go back to HMRC for more info.

While waiting for these schedules I have a four pension payments, so presumably I will be repaying some of my SS benefits?
Old Feb 5th 2016, 3:29 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Contact SS you need the total amount of UK pension. That 19/30ths of that amount are from voluntary contributions and therefore that sum is not used in calculating the Windfall Elimination Provision. They will have to decide if what your have from HMRC is sufficient for their needs.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 3:50 am
JJF
Just Joined

Thanks.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 6:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

What if you are piggybacking on Spouse?
Old Feb 5th 2016, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
If you mean that you are getting spousal SS then WEP does not apply to you, it only applies to the person who earned the SS. So a person claiming SS based on their spouse's SS does not have those payments reduced by WEP based on any other pensions they are collecting.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
Whatever floats your boat.