Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Recycling... or not

Recycling... or not

Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recycling... or not

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Our bulky stuff is hauled away for free any Monday, without notice, as long as we get it to the kerbside (trashcans are collected from the top of the driveway, or the garden if we leave the side gate open). I walk the dog late on a Sunday night, and I often see the same couple of trucks cruising the neighbourhood looking for anything decent that's been dragged to the kerb
I don't blame them, dryers are worth $15 scrap, washers $20, and fridges $20-$35. An aluminum storm/ screen door is worth $6, and a garden chair can be worth nearly as much.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
They won't allow us to do that in my complex. The manager insists it is just for what you rinse off the plates after you scrape them into the bin. She does not even agree to peeling carrots in the sink and shoving the peelings down, something I grew up doing my whole life.

I now use one of those "scrap bowls" for food prep trimmings and such. Empty it into a plastic shopping bag, tie it off, run it to the Dumpster while the meal cooks.
How on earth would she know? .... And why would you even need a 1/2hp+ motor to put "what you wash off the plate" down the drain?
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
They won't allow us to do that in my complex. The manager insists it is just for what you rinse off the plates after you scrape them into the bin. She does not even agree to peeling carrots in the sink and shoving the peelings down, something I grew up doing my whole life.

I now use one of those "scrap bowls" for food prep trimmings and such. Empty it into a plastic shopping bag, tie it off, run it to the Dumpster while the meal cooks.
Carrot and potato peels shred quickly into small pieces and tend to stick together when using the garbage disposal. Usually there is an elbow just off the garbage disposal where they tend to get stuck and create a clog. If there isn't an elbow but instead a straight pipe, normally they will flow through the pipe without problems.

I've never had a problem with plate scraps after scraping most into the bin since there is such a small amount that it is unlikely to clog.

Last edited by Michael; Jun 19th 2013 at 6:25 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:18 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't blame them, dryers are worth $15 scrap, washers $20, and fridges $20-$35. An aluminum storm/ screen door is worth $6, and a garden chair can be worth nearly as much.
Exactly because there is money in it, round our way they recently announced very publically that people cruising to see what others had put out were commiting theft. Once on the kerb the stuff is deemed the property of the local whojawotsit - or their contractors. I'm not sure the practice has stopped but it has certainly reduced it as we generally had a couple of weekly visitors on bin days, and they no longer appear.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:23 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Our bulky stuff is hauled away for free any Monday, without notice, as long as we get it to the kerbside (trashcans are collected from the top of the driveway, or the garden if we leave the side gate open). I walk the dog late on a Sunday night, and I often see the same couple of trucks cruising the neighbourhood looking for anything decent that's been dragged to the kerb
Our bulky items get collected every trash day (twice a week) without issue as long as it's at the kerbside. We get the same as you - couple of regular pickups that do a loop to see if there's anything worth having. They hadn't been today when I left else I'm sure my neighbours basketball hoop would have gone.

Our subdivision doesn't recycle... Apparently they used to and it got too expensive They obviously need to get a better negotiator (and no I'm not volunteering! )
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by celticgrid
Exactly because there is money in it, round our way they recently announced very publically that people cruising to see what others had put out were commiting theft. Once on the kerb the stuff is deemed the property of the local whojawotsit - or their contractors. I'm not sure the practice has stopped but it has certainly reduced it as we generally had a couple of weekly visitors on bin days, and they no longer appear.
I had a clear out last year, and filled my truck bed some sundry metal scrap I had lying around: some cast iron pipes, the case from a window AC, an old chimney topper, 9 whiskey barrel bands, and a traditional round garbage bin full of soup, bean, ham, and fish cans. I left the scrap dealer with $65 in my pocket!
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:28 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me wrong.... I'm all for someone making use of it if they can. Every washing machine that is " rescued" and used or sold, is one less in the landfill. Or at least, one delayed going to the landfill....
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

We've got an old side-by-side fridge/freezer that apparently isn't worth fixing. Is it even worth holding out for the price of a McD happy meal or should I just be grateful that somebody will take it away for free?
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:32 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Carrot and potato peels shred quickly into small pieces and tend to stick together when using the garbage disposal. Usually there is an elbow just off the garbage disposal where they tend to get stuck and create a clog. If there isn't an elbow but instead a straight pipe, normally they will flow through the pipe without problems.
Yes, I have this problem with potato peelings, but carrots are ok. Eh normally go in the compost, but if the little pot but the sink is full, and I'm in a hurry sometimes I will forget and shove them down the disposal......then I'm in even more of a hurry as I have to get the u-bend off to unclog the sink.........
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by celticgrid
Wow...never thought of that. Wonder if its ever been tested legally? I wonder what would happen if I put something out and then changed my mind and decided to keep it. Or donate it to a cruising steptoe (or son)?
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:37 pm

Our bins are 96 gallons each. We flatten all our plastic and paper waste, and only put it out when it's full, which is either on the two-weekly cycle, or sometimes we skip a collection.

The garbage bin also only goes out when full, though collection is weekly. As I type in mid June, the bin is almost full, and may have to be emptied in the next 2-3 weeks, ...... for the second time this year!

Metal waste, mostly food cans, whether steel or aluminum, I hold back and sell for scrap. The last time I took some, I got 12¢/lb for steel, and I think, 20¢/lb for aluminum.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I have this problem with potato peelings, but carrots are ok. Eh normally go in the compost, but if the little pot but the sink is full, and I'm in a hurry sometimes I will forget and shove them down the disposal......then I'm in even more of a hurry as I have to get the u-bend off to unclog the sink.........
I used to take off the elbow and clean it out but now I found a new way to clear the clog. Now I fill the drain with water and use this type of plunger (have to be careful since it will shoot water out of the overflow pipe as the clog starts moving) to clear the clog.
Attached Thumbnails Recycling... or not-funnelplunger.jpg  
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM
We've got an old side-by-side fridge/freezer that apparently isn't worth fixing. Is it even worth holding out for the price of a McD happy meal or should I just be grateful that somebody will take it away for free?
If you're putting it kerbside, remember to take the doors off first.....
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Michael
I used to take off the elbow and clean it out but now I found a new way to clear the clog. Now I fill the drain with water and use this type of plunger (have to be careful since it will shoot water out of the overflow pipe as the clog starts moving) to clear the clog.
I used one of those in our old place - I kinked the airgap pipe, but blew the joint on the u-bend! Made a right old mess, so now I just take it off and clean it out.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:46 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Wow...never thought of that. Wonder if its ever been tested legally? I wonder what would happen if I put something out and then changed my mind and decided to keep it. Or donate it to a cruising steptoe (or son)?
I haven't seen any news on whether it has been tested locally, but then I don't go looking for such news!

Interesting point you make regarding changing your mind...if at some point ownership transfers to the collecting agency and, given the warning they will prosecute individuals who snaffle the stuff before the official vehicle gets there - which implies that point is before they actually collect, I guess in theory there is indeed some point at which it is still sitting on your kerbside and you no longer own it.

Interesting, but only for a fleeting moment as I have checked my care-o-meter and it registers a mere 3.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.