Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Recruitment resources and help finding a job - Green Card holder

Recruitment resources and help finding a job - Green Card holder

Old May 25th 2010, 11:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recruitment resources and help finding a job - Green Card holder

It sucks...get used to it.

You'll apply for hundreds of jobs and only hear back from a few of them and you'll get interviews from even fewer.

Unless you've got niche skills, you one of thousands applying for those jobs and HR are generally pretty stupid and don't understand that a greencard means you don't need sponsorship etc.

LinkedIn.com
Guru.com
Dice.com

Network like crazy, if there's a local tech group or meet up group, check it out, down my way, that would be MS's NERD centre - New England Research Dev centre down in Boston.

Volunteer, it's a good way to network and get some US experiences on your CV which means far more than any UK experience sadly.

Network, it's the best way to get out there.
Old May 26th 2010, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

- join linkedin
- make and work your networks
- indeed.com is good, dice.com good for IT roles
- you got to pick up the phone and call
- It can be done, you already have work rights

One of the most common mistakes is, people use the same resume to apply for various positions. You should try and change/tailor the resume in line with the responsiblities and requirements of the role.

All the best.

Last edited by E3only; May 26th 2010 at 4:33 am.
Old May 26th 2010, 5:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
dice.com and rmiug.org were the best for me.

rmiug.org is a regional group (Rocky Mountain Internet Users Group). Try and find an equivalent in your area.

There's also sologig.com if you want to bid for contracts on your own.
Reminds me of a weird conversation I had with an American on the DLR, all due to me using a RMOUG logo'd lap top bag. Which I had 'borrowed'.
Old May 26th 2010, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
HR are generally pretty stupid and don't understand that a greencard means you don't need sponsorship etc.
Why even mention it? Do you need to? So far, all the applications I've seen with wordage like "are you allowed to work for any employer" either give a checkbox or a text box where you can simply write "yes" and not need to elaborate.
Old May 26th 2010, 12:05 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Why even mention it? Do you need to? So far, all the applications I've seen with wordage like "are you allowed to work for any employer" either give a checkbox or a text box where you can simply write "yes" and not need to elaborate.
I made it clear on my resume that I was fully authorised to work for any employer, no sponsorship etc. needed. While there's a place on most online application systems, as you say, as soon as someone starts looking at the resume and sees all employers were foreign.... Didn't seem to do any harm and was simply trying to cover all bases!
Old May 26th 2010, 12:10 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

It has all been said....network and crank out the applications. Tailor the resume for every application, treat the exercise of finding a job as though it is a job and put the hours in every day. And check that resume for typos because with so many incoming for each job advertized you can afford no weaknesses.

On the networking side I suggest join the local branch of the PMI (Project Management Institute). There's a similar body for Business Analysts, but it isn't as mature yet. The PMI is full of Project Managers, and they will know where all the BA vacancies are!
Old May 26th 2010, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
I made it clear on my resume that I was fully authorised to work for any employer, no sponsorship etc. needed. While there's a place on most online application systems, as you say, as soon as someone starts looking at the resume and sees all employers were foreign.... Didn't seem to do any harm and was simply trying to cover all bases!
I would leave it at "fully authorised to work for any employer" and then expand on it if necessary. Okay, I'm only going on theory here as I've yet to get that far, but that's my plan from putting myself in their shoes (I've reviewed plenty of CVs in my time, and unnecessary information is a short cut way of going into the filing system (shredder), as are spelling mistakes). Fair point about seeing only foreign employers on the resume, but again, they can ask if they need to know.

One exception is if the visa was for exceptional ability - then you'd want to shout it from the rooftops if relevant to the job.

This probably goes without saying, but if you target a resume for a particular employer, make absolutely sure they are the ones who get it and nobody else! I've seen CVs obviously not meant for us, and I stupidly also did it once.

If you send attachments via email - or even with online forms - include your name in the filename rather than just "resume.doc".
Old May 26th 2010, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

To go along with the suggestion of 'tailoring' your resume for each seperate employer, new expats to the US that haven't applied in the US before (not sure if it is the same in UK) And maybe even those that have, but are changing jobs, should check their resume for 'bullet' words/phrases,(that apply to that particular position) I know when hubby has applied for jobs, the computer will be looking for these words/phrases and if it doesn't 'see' them, the resume is rejected before human eyes ever see it.

Obviously not all resumes are thinned out this way, but some bigger companies and definitely most Gov't jobs are.
Old May 26th 2010, 2:00 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

imo DC really is a network city. I'd also talk to recruiters/head hunters and the likes. I also wouldn't rule out temp agencies because often placements can lead to permanent hire. A friend of mine here is an IT headhunter, which doesn't help but I will ask her to see if her clients have DC offices etc.
Old May 26th 2010, 3:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Because if they see you've been educated in the UK and that all your experiences are not in the US, you'll be chucked in the bin unless you make it very obvious that you are entitled to work without sponsorship.
Old May 26th 2010, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Because if they see you've been educated in the UK and that all your experiences are not in the US, you'll be chucked in the bin unless you make it very obvious that you are entitled to work without sponsorship.
Hence the simple statement "Entitled to work for any employer". No employer wants a blow-by-blow account of how and why you are entitled to work for any employer on your resume or cover letter. If they later require more information then they'll get it. Here we're talking about getting that initial foot in the door, past the initial filtering.

[Edited to add]
In fact, any employer with even just a hint of national pride, "Americans for American jobs" kind of thing, then stating "I have a GC" rather than "Yes" is likely to accelerate the dumping process IMHO, even thoough it may be illegal, unethical, or otherwise to do so.

Last edited by GeoffM; May 26th 2010 at 4:09 pm.
Old May 26th 2010, 4:10 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Hence the simple statement "Entitled to work for any employer". No employer wants a blow-by-blow account of how and why you are entitled to work for any employer on your resume or cover letter. If they later require more information then they'll get it. Here we're talking about getting that initial foot in the door, past the initial filtering.
I think Bob's point was broader than that, though. As he says, HR folks are often morons, with no understanding of what the positions they are recruiting for entail.

So they do a trained monkey act, essentially trying to match the shapes of words that they don't understand. In that context, anything "different" or "unusual" gets binned - they certainly don't ask for more information.
Old May 26th 2010, 4:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I think Bob's point was broader than that, though. As he says, HR folks are often morons, with no understanding of what the positions they are recruiting for entail.

So they do a trained monkey act, essentially trying to match the shapes of words that they don't understand. In that context, anything "different" or "unusual" gets binned - they certainly don't ask for more information.
Pretty much.

You can say you are entitled to work, but without being specific, and with no US experiences, chances are you'll end up in the bin unless you are overly obvious.

On the plus side, a Greencard is more obvious than a EAD, which causes even more head scratching, but you still get people asking if you need a sponsor with a greencard, or if it'll expire or if you are a citizen etc.

They might not be allowed to ask you that, but if you don't make it obvious to them you wont even get far enough to answer them.
Old May 26th 2010, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chartreuse

Maybe we have our wires crossed then, as I would consider "green card holder" to fit into the "different" or "unusual" categories! I don't disagree with the majority of Bob's statements, just this point which, as you both say, HR are likely to misunderstand - but only if you give them more information than they ask. Remember the OP was talking about GC, not EAD or any other status which is a completely different story.

I'm not trying to be sneaky, and it's not lying - you are answering the question posed honestly, but at the same time playing them at their own games - or trying to overcome their moron tendencies!
Old May 26th 2010, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not trying to be sneaky, and it's not lying - you are answering the question posed honestly, but at the same time playing them at their own games - or trying to overcome their moron tendencies!
Depends on how important getting the job is to you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.