Reload this Page >

Recruitment agencies for Science professionals in Wisconsin

Recruitment agencies for Science professionals in Wisconsin

Old Jul 17th 2018, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

RedHeron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recruitment agencies for Science professionals in Wisconsin

Hello,

I'm hoping to move to Wisconsin to live with my boyfriend, and I'm having difficult finding recruitment agencies for science-based professionals in the La Crosse area. Most seem to be for factory workers or temp agencies, I know we have them in the UK, but I cannot seem to find any at all in Wisconsin/ US. I would like some help with my resume too, as I keep getting mixed messages when I look online for guidance, I have deduced they're a different format/ structure to our CV. Has anyone had any experience finding work over there in the research industry? I'm a scientist, and I would like to keep within this field.

Also, while I'm here, how do I find out if a company is British owned? This is an option for one of the visas I can apply for. Easy enough to search for the big multi-nationals, but harder for the smaller companies that don't have a decent website, short of ringing them and asking! Thank you.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recruitment agencies for Science professionals in Wisconsin

It'd be significantly easier if your boyfriend turned into your husband.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 7:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
It'd be significantly easier if your boyfriend turned into your husband.
I’ve already posted same in the OP’s first thread.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

There are major research hubs across the US, but, a large swathe are in CA or MA. Boston being the world wide leader in Biotech. currently. Outside of that the pickings get much thinner.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 12:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Best to them to come to you, my impression was that such positions are mainly as a result of networking.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly I would move to the coast.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedHeron
Hello,

I'm hoping to move to Wisconsin to live with my boyfriend, and I'm having difficult finding recruitment agencies for science-based professionals in the La Crosse area. Most seem to be for factory workers or temp agencies, I know we have them in the UK, but I cannot seem to find any at all in Wisconsin/ US. I would like some help with my resume too, as I keep getting mixed messages when I look online for guidance, I have deduced they're a different format/ structure to our CV. Has anyone had any experience finding work over there in the research industry? I'm a scientist, and I would like to keep within this field.

Also, while I'm here, how do I find out if a company is British owned? This is an option for one of the visas I can apply for. Easy enough to search for the big multi-nationals, but harder for the smaller companies that don't have a decent website, short of ringing them and asking! Thank you.
Closest research hubs would be Madison (univ. of Wisc), St Paul, Mn and Rochester, Mn. (Mayo Clinic).
Old Jul 21st 2018, 6:39 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

I never found a recruitment agency worth dealing with. You're probably going to have to do the grunt work yourself. It will be tough until you can show the right to work in the US. Even then, don't expect many call backs. For a *research* scientist type of job, I would maintain two resumes - a short form (2 page) and a long form (whatever it takes, 10, 15 pages etc...) The short form will be your highlights (but don't leave gaps in degree-level education/employment history). Remember that the resume is to get the interview, not the job. The long form will include everything of relevance, and is usually for a more academic-ish kind of position. In general, leave personal stuff out. These will look a lot more like a British CV than resumes used for most American jobs. A cover letter is often optional. If it is required, make sure that it briefly describes how you meet or exceed each of the key job requirements, because a *required* cover letter will sometimes be read without the resume/CV.

Having said all that, I can't remember the last time I used a resume on paper (but I have read them as part of hiring committees). Pretty much everything I have done started with either (a) a on-line job application on the employer's website; (b) me walking into someone's office; (c) a cold call from an employer. For an online application, you usually have to fill in the blanks on a webform. You will likely be asked about your GPA. You may not be able to leave it blank - if so, round the score up to a reasonable equivalent that you can justify at least in your own head, and worry about the details if you get in the door.

In almost all cases, you do not apply for the [work] visa - the company does. In the few other cases, I don't believe it matters who owns it.

Last edited by AdobePinon; Jul 21st 2018 at 6:45 am.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I never found a recruitment agency worth dealing with. You're probably going to have to do the grunt work yourself. It will be tough until you can show the right to work in the US. Even then, don't expect many call backs. For a *research* scientist type of job, I would maintain two resumes - a short form (2 page) and a long form (whatever it takes, 10, 15 pages etc...) The short form will be your highlights (but don't leave gaps in degree-level education/employment history). Remember that the resume is to get the interview, not the job. The long form will include everything of relevance, and is usually for a more academic-ish kind of position. In general, leave personal stuff out. These will look a lot more like a British CV than resumes used for most American jobs. A cover letter is often optional. If it is required, make sure that it briefly describes how you meet or exceed each of the key job requirements, because a *required* cover letter will sometimes be read without the resume/CV.

Having said all that, I can't remember the last time I used a resume on paper (but I have read them as part of hiring committees). Pretty much everything I have done started with either (a) a on-line job application on the employer's website; (b) me walking into someone's office; (c) a cold call from an employer. For an online application, you usually have to fill in the blanks on a webform. You will likely be asked about your GPA. You may not be able to leave it blank - if so, round the score up to a reasonable equivalent that you can justify at least in your own head, and worry about the details if you get in the door.

In almost all cases, you do not apply for the [work] visa - the company does. In the few other cases, I don't believe it matters who owns it.
Thank you. I was told an option would be a form of Treaty trader visa, if I can find a company that is at least 50% British owned, I can work for them.

I was over in Wisconsin for six weeks this year, I really wish I had made some phone calls while I was over there, I stupidly did not anticipate finding a job to be this hard. I will have to get the boyfriend on the job!

I did enroll with a recruitment agency while I was there, they were very enthusiastic (part of their job, I guess) but had real difficulty understanding that I needed a visa in order to work, i.e. "This company wants you to start work in two weeks, can you do it?" Notwithstanding that I would need to give a month's notice at least. I got the impression they are more used to dealing with temps or short term contract jobs.

Great advice about the application/ resume, I will make a note of that and get writing straight away.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
Honestly I would move to the coast.
Overrated. Grand for a holiday, but give me cows, forests and fields anyday!
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 1:53 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You want to find a 51% British owned company in Lacrosse Wisconsin that specializes in scientific research and is willing to spend thousands on a visa for you instead of hiring a local? That's like finding a 51% American owned company in somewhere like Kirkcaldy that specializes in biomedical research and is willing to spend a few thousand pounds for a visa.

I hate to be blunt, but this isn't going to happen.

There are research areas in Wisconsin (like around Madison or maybe even the northern bits of Chicago) but even then you'd be much better served looking at another part of the USA for work. As mentioned a marriage-based visa might be an option but you will probably have to deal with a couple of 90 day visits for a year or so until you can get something sorted or an engagement ring.

It's very hard to move here as you are discovering, and finding work in a specialized field in frankly a rather tiny corner of the USA makes it all the harder. You might want to chat with the boyfriend about his long-term plans and where he wants to live as it might give you some more options.

Good luck.
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 1:59 pm
Account Closed

Kirkcaldy is just outside of Edinburgh.

La Crosse is the biggest city in La Crosse County.

Hardly a fair comparison.
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

To get a true opinion of Wisconsin it’s best to visit in Jan or Feb. I spent four years in Milwaukee attending Marquette Dental school and winters are not pleasant.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 12:03 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Kirkcaldy is just outside of Edinburgh.

La Crosse is the biggest city in La Crosse County.

Hardly a fair comparison.
Yeah, was just trying to pick somewhere of a similar size (50k) but I guess if you include the entire LaCrosse area it is probably double that. Still think it's a stretch to find a British-owned research company in a place like that though...
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 1:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Yeah, was just trying to pick somewhere of a similar size (50k) but I guess if you include the entire LaCrosse area it is probably double that. Still think it's a stretch to find a British-owned research company in a place like that though...
A quick google suggested it is not likely to be the obvious focus of the area, or anywhere near, I guess we should never say never but maybe be a little more flexible in your geographical area?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.