Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Recovering addict

Recovering addict

Old Jan 2nd 2006, 8:14 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Recovering addict

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Not sure about the beans. Well I mean its Safeway in the US I'm talking about. Perhaps if you had a search on this website you might find who actually recommended them. It was quite a few months back. But, we have bought them here and hubs likes them, so I guess they can't be all that bad. But, this comes from the man that likes haggis - what can I say?
Talking of haggis, everyone in my office was a little disturbed at my description of haggis, which is usually not all that amusing. However half of these people enjoy soup with pigs trotters in them. I will never forget them ordering soup and then fishing something very odd out of it
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 1:46 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Cream of Wheat and Ready Brek are not the same thing. I found the closest thing was the Gerber baby cereal. In fact when I had Ready Brek one day in the UK, I thought how weird that people like baby cereal over here.
I don't think that CA was suggesting that Cream of Wheat and Ready Brek are the same. She was probably suggesting that they taste the same, at least to her.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
. She was probably suggesting that they taste the same, at least to her.

NC Penguin
Really?
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 11:51 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Really?
I would guess that she (very reasonably - sorry Lynne ) just doesn't like either one.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 10:59 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

Someone did suggest Cream of Wheat but on looking at the pictures on the boxes and shaking to listen for that Ready Brek sound, none I tested seemed to be similar. Maybe I should have just taken the plunge and bought a box and tried. But, thanks to Amerlisa I can stuff myself stupid on the ready brek substitute and don't have to look at the thermo to see that its below 50. lolol
Old Jan 19th 2006, 1:45 am
Just Joined

blanefield is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lynne
I have decided to come clean and admit I'm a recovering Ready Brek addict. For years I would scoff on a large bowlful every day no matter how hot or cold the outside temperature. The slogan "central heating for kids" meant nothing. For years my mother tried to wean me off Ready Brek during the summer with Weetybangs.

Once married, I had total control. I could buy as many boxes as I could carry, and could eat it twice a day if I wanted and eat it year round.

March 1995 was a day that was both sad and exciting. I was starting a new lfe in the US but the downside was that Ready Brek was going to be hard to find. Oats by the old guy in the black hat and grits just don't give you that same warm feeling as Ready Brek.

For a few months I was fine, the humidity and heat of the South distracted me from wanting Reaady Brek, but once the Winter came, there was a void in my diet.

Then the wonders of the internet filled our lives and with some surfing I found people who could feed my addiction. It was expensive but I learned to ration my booty and actually appreciated its taste even more. I restricted myself to having it only at weekends.

I recently bought four boxes, sadly only small ones, from British Delights and have already gone through one box. Ration time again.

Does anyone out there know of any company that sells the big boxes or sells cases of the stuff? I guess I could surf the web but would sooner be eating another bowlful. lololol

I am sure I am not the only one who has had to ration themselves from a long term passion with a Brit food. Now is your chance to come clean and admit it. You will feel so much better if you do.
Ok - I feel a bit like a Blue Peter presenter but - you can (sort of) make your own Ready Brek. If you have a coffee-grinder ($10 @ Target/Wal Mart etc.), all you need to do is buy some "Old Fashioned" Quaker Oatmeal and introduce it to your coffee grinder. After about 20 seconds you will have turned the whole oats into a kind of oat flour. Just use this like it was R.B.(i.e. hot milk, sugar, salt - whatever you usually add).
It tastes just like Ready Brek to me - I admit it has been a number of years since I tried the real thing - and it's cheap and (realtively) easy.
Do I win a prize?
Old Jan 19th 2006, 1:54 am
Position - Offside

Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blanefield
Ok - I feel a bit like a Blue Peter presenter but - you can (sort of) make your own Ready Brek. If you have a coffee-grinder ($10 @ Target/Wal Mart etc.), all you need to do is buy some "Old Fashioned" Quaker Oatmeal and introduce it to your coffee grinder. After about 20 seconds you will have turned the whole oats into a kind of oat flour. Just use this like it was R.B.(i.e. hot milk, sugar, salt - whatever you usually add).
It tastes just like Ready Brek to me - I admit it has been a number of years since I tried the real thing - and it's cheap and (realtively) easy.
Do I win a prize?
To be a Blue Peter Presenter you have to use a yoghurt carton and some sticky back plastic, but all the same you deserve a Blue Peter badge.

I may just try this. With RB I used to use 6 desertspoons of RB to one cup of milk but with the Gerber stuff I use 6 tablespoons to just under a cup of milk that makes it right for me, but for hubby he likes it thick and stodgy.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:44 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynne
To be a Blue Peter Presenter you have to use a yoghurt carton and some sticky back plastic, but all the same you deserve a Blue Peter badge.

I may just try this. With RB I used to use 6 desertspoons of RB to one cup of milk but with the Gerber stuff I use 6 tablespoons to just under a cup of milk that makes it right for me, but for hubby he likes it thick and stodgy.
Oh no, not so fast. It's all about the toilet paper roll. Don't tell me you've got one of those infrared-sensing sheet dispensers or you're going to be in a whole world of trouble.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:46 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Nativity candle holders made from coat hangers and tinsel, didn't we like to live on the edge of a catastrophic house fire in those days?
Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:50 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
though I do like a bit of Cadbury's
My kids and I like Cadbury's Drinking Chocolate. Nothing close to it here that I have found.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:51 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Nativity candle holders made from coat hangers and tinsel, didn't we like to live on the edge of a catastrophic house fire in those days?
Too true .

Very funny Gruff made me laugh.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 3:13 am
Position - Offside

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Oh no, not so fast. It's all about the toilet paper roll. Don't tell me you've got one of those infrared-sensing sheet dispensers or you're going to be in a whole world of trouble.

LOLOL Nope don't have one of those, but I did save 15% on my car insurance by NOT going to GEICO.

Gruff, of those nativity candle things. I think almost every house in the UK had one of those at one time. Of course now metal coathangers are thinner.

I wonder if a modern day Blue Peter would be making clocks from AOL Cd's.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 3:16 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
You took the thought right out of my head!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lynne]I have decided to come clean and admit I'm a recovering Ready Brek addict. For years I would scoff on a large bowlful every day no matter how hot or cold the outside temperature. The slogan "central heating for kids" meant nothing. For years my mother tried to wean me off Ready Brek during the summer with Weetybangs.

Hi All,

My vice is Weetabix, which I get from my local grocery store. Haven't had Ready Brek for Donkey's Years. Must try it on my next visit back to Blighty.

Jim.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 8:39 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

I am not exactly a Ready Brek addict like Lynne (having lived here 2 years without it) but have often thought how yummy and convenient it was. My kids grew up wanting nothing else for breakfast for years! I'm going to try the Gerber thing too. I don't care that it's baby food, I'll be nourishing my inner child!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.