British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Recommended IT contract agencies/websites in SoCal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/recommended-contract-agencies-websites-socal-719566/)

essbee663 Jun 4th 2011 8:31 am

Recommended IT contract agencies/websites in SoCal

Hi

First time posting here, and very impressed with the wealth of information. Looks like a great place to meet and discuss all things ex-pat :thumbup:

Secondly, I wasnt sure what section to post this in so apologies if it's not here. Happy if a Mod wants to move it :o

In short, I'm moving to LA early July with my fiancee, and I've been doing some research into work opportunities. As you might expect there are HUGE numbers of agencies and job websites, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend some of the better ones that I can target. In the UK of course I would look to Computerfutures, Computerpeople, Jobserve and the like but as I have no experience of the US market I'm kind of stuck. (If it's relevant I'm a Senior IT Project/Programme Manager, experience split mainly between infrastructure/datacentre builds and software development).

Also, I'm planning to work under 1099 or S-Corp arrangements, and wondered if anyone had any thoughts about that (yes i'm happy to do those god-awful tax returns :blink:).

Thanks in advance

Steve

GeoffM Jun 4th 2011 10:32 am

Re: Recommended IT contract agencies/websites in SoCal

Cybercoders pops up a lot, though whether they're any good I don't know. Jobserve have a US version though you might have to tell it to look in the US rather than your current location.

I've found lots of searches comparing LLC and S-Corp (and the other entities; I know you haven't mentioned LLC but it's common) and to a large degree it depends on the business, how you want to handle certain things, etc. S-Corp seem to be more "glam" and more likely to get vulture capital than, say, LLC. You can also incorporate in a different State for certain tax advantages but perhaps marginally more paperwork as you need a resident agent, as I understand it.

Are you getting healthcare through your fiancée?

essbee663 Jun 5th 2011 9:29 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I had considered and LLC, and now that I've discovered you can elect to have it tax as an S-Corp makes it attractive :) I'll be finding a CPA when I get there, to have an informed discussion, but this is useful.

My understanding of out of state companies (and I'm happy to be corrected on this) is that although there may be some tax advantages, it's highly likely that tax on payroll and profit will still need to be paid in the state that business is transacted in. Something else for the CPA probably.

My fiancee is returning to the US after a stint working in Europe, so no, neither of us has healthcare provision yet. Before she left she was self employed and will likely return to her former occupation. I'm only planning to look for contract work until we settle down and plan the immediate future, so it's quite likely that we'll need to self fund. Not ideal due to the cost vs full time employment, however I'm guessing that it's deductible.

Thanks for the tip on the agency. Is here anywhere else you/anyone could recommend looking/contacting?

Many Thanks

Steve

penguinsix Jun 5th 2011 11:35 am

dice.com
theladders.com if you are more senior (and want to pay for their listings)

Duncan Roberts Jun 5th 2011 3:20 pm

Linkedin

meauxna Jun 5th 2011 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by essbee663 (Post 9411268)
My fiancee is returning to the US after a stint working in Europe, so no, neither of us has healthcare provision yet.

Now I am curious, which visa are you coming to the US with?

candy wy. Jun 5th 2011 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9411872)

amazing took 5 posts before the question came up....;)

Duncan Roberts Jun 5th 2011 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9411872)

No you mention it, there doesn't seem to be any visa that fits. I figured the fiance was in the US and it was a K-1 job but can the K-1 be filed if the US citizen is not resident in the US?

essbee663 Jun 5th 2011 6:02 pm

I was waiting for the question too :)

Yes, K-1 it is. You can file DCS in the country of residence (directly at the embassy), or via the postal route (which is what we did). I assume there is no restriction, as we've been up front and honest all through the application steps and no-one has questioned or commented.

Application is well advanced, medical is booked, just waiting for London to issue interview date....

meauxna Jun 5th 2011 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by essbee663 (Post 9411961)
I was waiting for the question too :)

Yes, K-1 it is. You can file DCS in the country of residence (directly at the embassy), or via the postal route (which is what we did). I assume there is no restriction, as we've been up front and honest all through the application steps and no-one has questioned or commented.

Application is well advanced, medical is booked, just waiting for London to issue interview date....

If you were waiting for it, you could have shared. :)

It's unusual for a K-1 to be petitioned from overseas, but not unheard of (there are reasons a USC may not be able to marry in the UK). However, the "DCF" method of petitioning is only for spouses, so K petitions have to go to the US.

You understand of course that there will be a delay of several months before you are work authorized. You should still use that time for networking and whatever else you're doing for job searching.

the financial term you were looking for in your opening post is 'contracting' (independent contracting work). You'll want to read carefully on what is required to be classified as a contractor. Some employers think it means they hire you but don't pay your taxes, and it's a bit more complex than that.

PS: you may want to drive by the marriage based visa forum. It's my understanding that London will not set an interview date for you until your medical results are back. You may be waiting at a stalemate right now.

Step Three

Schedule a medical examination with the Embassy approved physician. Visa applicants, regardless of age, require a medical examination prior to the issuance of a visa. Please note: The visa interview will not be scheduled until the Immigrant Visa Unit is in receipt of the results of the medical examination. The failure to schedule the medical examination will result in delays to your application. Click on "The Medical" on the left-hand Navigation bar for further information.

Bob Jun 5th 2011 6:19 pm

Networking, it really is your best bet...join groups and associations, get out there and meet people.

LinkedIn as mentioned is a good starting point.

indeed.com and dice.com are great for finding tech jobs and if looking for contract work, Sapphire are pretty good.

Noorah101 Jun 5th 2011 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by essbee663 (Post 9411268)
My understanding of out of state companies (and I'm happy to be corrected on this) is that although there may be some tax advantages, it's highly likely that tax on payroll and profit will still need to be paid in the state that business is transacted in. Something else for the CPA probably.

Does this mean you might be performing the work in a different state to the one you live in? My self-employed immigrant husband does this. His business is located in Arizona where he lives, but he is required by his clients to perform the work in California, where they are. So he set up a workshop in Los Angeles where he stays several weeks at a time to work for his clients, and then comes home to AZ for a long weekend. All his expenses in CA are tax deductable because they are business related. He pays AZ tax and files an AZ state tax return along with Federal. But because he gets paid in CA, he has to file a CA state tax return each year, but does not owe any tax, because he proves he pays tax in AZ.

We also have a good CPA working for us, located in AZ.

Rene

essbee663 Jun 8th 2011 6:59 am

Thanks for the responses...

Yes, I had heard that London won't schedule until after the medical. They confirmed it week before last, when I called them.

Thanks for the site suggestions, I'll start researching. Out of interest, does anyone know if there are there any reliable sites that give realistic average/comparison pay rates? I've seen various rates for jobs i've looked already, so it would be useful to have some benchmark to work with.

No, we'll be (for the immediate future) living and working in LA, but that's handy to know, thanks. My finacee already has a CPA that she's happy with, so I'll discuss the finer detail with him too.

GeoffM Jun 8th 2011 7:15 am

Originally Posted by essbee663 (Post 9418344)
Out of interest, does anyone know if there are there any reliable sites that give realistic average/comparison pay rates?

salary.com
Glassdoor.com
Payscale.com
Etc