Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Recommended bank accounts

Recommended bank accounts

Old Jan 27th 2017, 9:34 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommended bank accounts

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Wondering why nobody has mentioned Visa Debit cards?

Obviously won't help build up a credit score, but if you want to use cards and not cash (esp. e.g. to pay online) but have trouble getting a credit card, or have a ridiculously small credit limit to begin with, a Visa Debit would seem to be a good stop gap measure.
Wells Fargo will at the very least give you a secured credit card once you have your SSN.

I had a WF account when we got here and I think for new arrivals they have to be one of the easiest to deal with. Certainly, walk in with a few bits of paper and 30 minutes walk out with an account and a temporary debit card and checks.

I still have a WF account but last year I opened a credit union account. Nice to be paid for having an account with them but I can't say they are any better or worse than WF. I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever. I don't go into branches anyway and I can get cash from the supermarket if I need it. The only possible upside is that it is a small credit union and I don't get phishing emails about that account whereas I do from the WF one.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Wondering why nobody has mentioned Visa Debit cards?

Obviously won't help build up a credit score, but if you want to use cards and not cash (esp. e.g. to pay online) but have trouble getting a credit card, or have a ridiculously small credit limit to begin with, a Visa Debit would seem to be a good stop gap measure.
I had assumed these were standard with pretty much any checking account, like they are in the UK, not the case?

I think after all the advice, I'll just open an account in a branch when I arrive. I'll look for a local chase or capital one for example, near work office and hopefully it'll be straightforward. In the mean time, I'll have some cash $ and a way to spend $ on a MasterCard to keep going until US bank account and salary are up and running.

The fact chase have atms in the Duane-reed pharmacists is a bonus for any cash requirements.

Should be fine, right?
Old Jan 28th 2017, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB
I had assumed these were standard with pretty much any checking account, like they are in the UK, not the case?

I think after all the advice, I'll just open an account in a branch when I arrive. I'll look for a local chase or capital one for example, near work office and hopefully it'll be straightforward. In the mean time, I'll have some cash $ and a way to spend $ on a MasterCard to keep going until US bank account and salary are up and running.

The fact chase have atms in the Duane-reed pharmacists is a bonus for any cash requirements.

Should be fine, right?
I opened a Chase account at a branch and got an incentive. You could try this:

https://www.chase.com/checking/offer...DO5Zs01babWrFK
Old Jan 29th 2017, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Asg123
I opened a Chase account at a branch and got an incentive. You could try this:

https://www.chase.com/checking/offer...DO5Zs01babWrFK
Thank you
Old Jan 31st 2017, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

You may want to stay clear of Wells Fargo if you think you may need a student loan.

Wells Fargo accused of illegally denying loans to immigrants - NY Daily News

Last edited by mrken30; Jan 31st 2017 at 2:25 am.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 1:08 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
You may want to stay clear of Wells Fargo if you think you may need a loan.

Wells Fargo accused of illegally denying loans to immigrants - NY Daily News
Headline actually reads:
"Wells Fargo accused of illegally denying student loans to immigrants "

Doesn't make it right, I'm aware of that. But at least be accurate.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Headline actually reads:
"Wells Fargo accused of illegally denying student loans to immigrants "

Doesn't make it right, I'm aware of that. But at least be accurate.
Looks like they changed the title of the article.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not sure if this would make anyone change their minds about using WF.

Seattle council committee votes to divest from Wells Fargo over DAPL | KGW.com
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 5:37 am
Just Joined

emilygarratt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I got one the week I arrived, the limit was $200! I phoned the bank and told them that was ridiculous, barely enough for a week's groceries, and they immediately upped it to $1,000. By the three month mark it was up to $5,000, and IIRC $10,000 after a year.

It took a few weeks to arrange to move my Amex relationship over to the US, then I was rolling!
How did you move your Amex relationship over, going through the process of e2 visa, and wanted to know how to transfer relationship to speed up the process of the credit history side of things
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by emilygarratt
How did you move your Amex relationship over, going through the process of e2 visa, and wanted to know how to transfer relationship to speed up the process of the credit history side of things
This website should assist you in moving your AMEX card

https://www.americanexpress.com/global-card-transfers/
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Amex require you to clear the UK account before they will transfer, which is essentially setting up a new account in the USA.

I was a HSBC customer and did attempt to set-up an account before leaving as I'd need to move funds across every month. Still waiting - applied in July 2016! We set-up a Wells Fargo account as soon as we arrived once it became clear HSBC had problems distinguishing items of their own anatomy. All done and dusted within 45 mins and didn't even have a house yet.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robtuck
Amex require you to clear the UK account before they will transfer, which is essentially setting up a new account in the USA.

I was a HSBC customer and did attempt to set-up an account before leaving as I'd need to move funds across every month. Still waiting - applied in July 2016! We set-up a Wells Fargo account as soon as we arrived once it became clear HSBC had problems distinguishing items of their own anatomy. All done and dusted within 45 mins and didn't even have a house yet.
Great news that it's so easy to walk into a branch and open an account. I've gone off the idea of starting the process in the UK, seems like a long winded process with no guarantees when it will be done, for which they charge £ for too!

Interesting you opened an account before having an address, I may need to do similar. Did you use work as a temporary correspondence address?

Also what paperwork did you need. Will passport, driving license and letter confirming job details do?
Old Feb 4th 2017, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by LouisB
Great news that it's so easy to walk into a branch and open an account. I've gone off the idea of starting the process in the UK, seems like a long winded process with no guarantees when it will be done, for which they charge £ for too!

Interesting you opened an account before having an address, I may need to do similar. Did you use work as a temporary correspondence address?

Also what paperwork did you need. Will passport, driving license and letter confirming job details do?
I arrived Thursday night and opened a credit union account on the Monday on the walk back from the SSA office. I arrived here on a spouse visa so a little different.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robtuck

Can I check what information you needed to provide to open that account in person?

Seems to me it should be possible to open a current account without an SSN and that's good because I'll certainly need the account before having one.

My other snag is I'll also need account before having a 'permanent' address.

I spoke to someone I know who managed to open an account using work as correspondence address temporarily and before getting an SSN but online details seem to vary.

Chase said the needed a residential address but maybe it varies bank to bank and branch to branch.

Of course after a few weeks I'd be updating the account both with real SSN and adress.

Another option is I have a UK $ account, maybe work would pay into that initially (temporarily), if they can do that. I might incur fees but for a short while that would be ok.

The other thing I'm wondering is whether these international accounts might be useful, since I'll have finances in UK and US maybe this would work out well for moving money around.

I'm not sure about obtaining cash using that sort of account.

I guess I'll end up with US native account, just looking for ways to bridge UK US and get started out initially before everything is in place.

Last edited by LouisB; Feb 11th 2017 at 11:08 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

When I opened my credit union account, I had only been in the US 3 days. I did have a permanent address, but I had no way of proving it when I opened the account. I think it may be easier to open a credit union account.

You may be able to open a CU account through your work place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.