Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for Pet Travel

Recommendations for Pet Travel

Old Jun 17th 2015, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

alternageek will become famous soon enoughalternageek will become famous soon enough
Default Recommendations for Pet Travel

Hiya

I'm currently in the process of planning my repatriation back to the US and bringing my 8 year old cat with me. (Shes a moggy) I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for shippers?

Its important she travels at the same time as I do (well same day) as I want to minimise her stress as much as I can. I am travelling from Manchester, so I know this limits my options. I will be landing in Orlando.

I just spoke to jets4pets and they've given me an approx quote of £800. I was wondering if anyone has any other recent recommendations (the last review for jets4pets to the US was a few years back) Also I currently live in Sheffield, if that helps.

Thanks, in advance.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommendations for Pet Travel

Pet air UK were really good for us. Not sure if they fly from Manchester but i would recommend them. When will you be flying? Bear in mind the cargo (including your cat) will be waiting around outside for a while during offloading. Hopefully you can time it so that it's not the height of summer.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

alternageek will become famous soon enoughalternageek will become famous soon enough

I know theres a ban for pets into Orlando between now (June 1st) to September, so looking around late September or October time. I know she wont be reunited with me ASAP like my luggage is, but just want to do it as easy as possible.

My Mum is meeting me in Orlando and we will have to stay overnight as she cant do the drive to and from in the same day (She lives just outside West Palm Beach). So theres the option of collecting me and my luggage, checking into our hotel and then getting the madame (my cat)
Old Jun 17th 2015, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Suexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to behold

We used Pet Relocation from the US to the UK and they were brilliant.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Suexpat
We used Pet Relocation from the US to the UK and they were brilliant.
Are they UK based as well? I'm travelling from England to Florida.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Suexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to behold

They move pets from all over the world so yes if you go on their website they will give you a quote. I used Pet Air UK from the UK to Holland but next time I will use Pet Relocation again.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

tah x
Old Jun 17th 2015, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

We're using Pet Air UK to fly our cat from Manchester to Chicago. The other companies would only quote from LHR. Their Silver service was quoted at £760 and Gold at £1170. We've chosen the Gold as they collect from our home the day before and take care of all the vet paperwork.

I could do this myself, but I've enough to sort getting 5 humans and their worldly goods across the pond!
Old Jun 17th 2015, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you!!!
Old Jun 18th 2015, 12:09 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you look into flying with Lufthansa? Your cat can go on the same flights as you and the fee is very reasonable.

We brought our dog from France via Munich to Houston with us on our Lufthansa flight. She was absolutely fine and the fee was $300ish. We dropped her off in her travel cage at the airport in France and picked her up at the outsize bag in Houston 15 hours later.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

OCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond repute

You can always contact the Airline and take the cat on the same flight. Paperwork is quite simple and you know the cat is on the same flight. We took our two German Shepherd dogs with us to California on the same flight which makes it a bit less stressful!
Old Jun 18th 2015, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Why don't you look into flying with Lufthansa? Your cat can go on the same flights as you and the fee is very reasonable.

We brought our dog from France via Munich to Houston with us on our Lufthansa flight. She was absolutely fine and the fee was $300ish. We dropped her off in her travel cage at the airport in France and picked her up at the outsize bag in Houston 15 hours later.
Originally Posted by OCKF
You can always contact the Airline and take the cat on the same flight. Paperwork is quite simple and you know the cat is on the same flight. We took our two German Shepherd dogs with us to California on the same flight which makes it a bit less stressful!
I was going to do this, but I have enough FF miles to bump myself up to first class on Virgin. Thought if I have to go, might was well go out in style, you know?
Unfortunately, VA doesnt do pet cargo from Manchester and the cost to get us both down to Heathrow isnt feasible.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

OCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond repute

I dont blame you and if you wanted to get rid of your FF Miles I will gladly help:-)

Joking aside I appreciate what you say but luckily for us we were flying from Heathrow on Virgin so didn't have the same issue.

All the very best and best of luck!!
Old Jun 18th 2015, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by OCKF
I dont blame you and if you wanted to get rid of your FF Miles I will gladly help:-)

Joking aside I appreciate what you say but luckily for us we were flying from Heathrow on Virgin so didn't have the same issue.

All the very best and best of luck!!
Thank you
Old Jun 18th 2015, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

IlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote from Pet Air UK from me. We shipped our 2 cats over, with the Gold Package, I think. They came the day before, took them away but they went on the same BA flight as we did. The biggest hassle was US customs at JFK. Going to the BA cargo location, then to US customs and then back to BA cargo. Took a long time as they're really far apart at JFK.

United have Pet Safe, which I've used, and they have air conditioned vans for transport so they don't have the same limitation on temperature.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.