Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for good (and balanced) US news organisations?

Recommendations for good (and balanced) US news organisations?

Old Jul 11th 2012, 4:40 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommendations for good (and balanced) US news organisations?

Heck they barely do any reporting at all on tv news anymore. They actually often read press releases verbatim.

Pete
Old Jul 11th 2012, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
The level of condescention and superiority towards Americans here is ridiculous, but hardly surprising. Yes in fact, we're all useful idiots who passively consume what the media feeds us in an unquestioning and sheep-like manner. Yes the US press and populace is uniquely blinkered, self-absorbed and ignorant. You've got us pegged. Please.
I agree with a lot of that post. However, one area where the detractors might have a point is with the local news channels. In the UK if you want to watch local news you have to wait for a dismal 15 or so minute slot at the end of the BBC or ITV's national news. In the US - in a lot of cases - you have a slick, well produced product which is highly popular. The result is that many people will place a greater emphasis on the local stuff over the national and world stuff.

The end result is a bit horrifying. I remember one of my first visits to the States and my mother in law saying that she thought it was very important to always watch the news. We sat down to watch it later on - turned out it was the local channel featuring stories about children being rescued from a swimming pool, bears being spotted eating from bird feeders and the latest shooting in Lawrence. Great for what is on your doorstep but about as parochial as you can possibly get.

A lot of people don't even watch the 'world news' slot from the main channels which are about 30 mins long. These seem to be depressingly lightweight and short on analysis (amusingly they nearly always feature a 'health scare' story - something along the lines of 'new evidence that your iphone can cause you to develop herpes'). Now it is true that there are many other decent sources of news in the US. It's just that the main ones people choose to draw on are pretty superficial to say the least.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I love the idea here that NPR, the New York Times and Comedy Central represent heroic, honorable and completely unbiased news sources championing truth and justice where as Fox and the WSJ are dangerously unbalanced, evil radicals who threaten the free world. I'm exaggerating, but that's the vibe I'm getting here. That's terrific.
I thought you were being sarcastic until I read the rest of your post, which said pretty much the same thing.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Reactions to this thread:
The level of condescention and superiority towards Americans here is ridiculous, but hardly surprising. Yes in fact, we're all useful idiots who passively consume what the media feeds us in an unquestioning and sheep-like manner. Yes the US press and populace is uniquely blinkered, self-absorbed and ignorant. You've got us pegged. Please.
I discussed this with several colleagues who are originally not USC, immigrated here from various parts of Europe, and ALL agreed this was an accurate, if subjective (!) description... To be precise, more absorbed than many people back home...

[waits for the flaming to begin]

Is it good/bad? Dunno.

It is different though, sometimes frustrating, and takes a while to get used to.

Doesn't stop almost every person I've met here being genuinely nice, sincere, helpful etc...
Old Jul 11th 2012, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
Heck they barely do any reporting at all on tv news anymore. They actually often read press releases verbatim.
This is a fight I have with the online editor at the local TV station quite often. He'll post a story and people will ask for more information in the comments section. His answer is always "that information isn't in the press release". He portrays himself as a journalist. At least call the source and ask the questions.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 7:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Reactions to this thread:

I love the idea here that NPR, the New York Times and Comedy Central represent heroic, honorable and completely unbiased news sources championing truth and justice where as Fox and the WSJ are dangerously unbalanced, evil radicals who threaten the free world. I'm exaggerating, but that's the vibe I'm getting here. That's terrific.
It's an impression based on the truth though.

You flick on the tele and the random news channel, or pick up a newspaper and well, that's what you get.

Sure there are great sources out, but you've got to look out for them.

And there isn't much anyone can do about it when the news just like any other program is a business to make money, it makes the news less reliable.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 8:08 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Weasel, it's awful. Cheaper than paying reporters I'd expect.

Harry, agreed. Because we're so large we don't have the day to day interaction with other countries most others do, we tend to see the US as the 'world'. Well perhaps we see Canada dimly as some sort of 51st state, and Mexico as a giant spot on the southern map where garden workers come from.

Thanks for the compliments too

Pete
Old Jul 11th 2012, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Harry, agreed. Because we're so large we don't have the day to day interaction with other countries most others do, we tend to see the US as the 'world'. Well perhaps we see Canada dimly as some sort of 51st state, and Mexico as a giant spot on the southern map where garden workers come from.

I think that's a cop-out, or at least a chicken and egg situation.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Well perhaps we see Canada dimly as some sort of 51st state, and Mexico as a giant spot on the southern map where garden workers come from.
It's funny - outside of the NHL Americans don't appear to give a **** about Canada. Doesn't seem to be any coverage of it and you would be hard pushed to find people that know who the Prime Minster is. It doesn't seem to register on the public consciousness. Mexico does because of the immigration and the headless corpses. Maybe the trouble is that Canada is too civilized and boring.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
It's funny - outside of the NHL Americans don't appear to give a **** about Canada. Doesn't seem to be any coverage of it and you would be hard pushed to find people that know who the Prime Minster is. It doesn't seem to register on the public consciousness. Mexico does because of the immigration and the headless corpses. Maybe the trouble is that Canada is too civilized and boring.
I have never heard anyone offer any kind of comment about Canada now you mention it, Mexico is just seen as a place that sends problem immigrants who nevertheless provide useful services. Highly doubt anyone around here knows anything about the country other than vacation resorts.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I have never heard anyone offer any kind of comment about Canada now you mention it
Canada - it's America's hat!
Old Jul 11th 2012, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
Canada - it's America's hat!
Less than a hat, I think... more like a condom!

Ian
Old Jul 11th 2012, 10:44 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Another thing you have to realize about the news business in the US is that the vast majority of the "stories" in your local TV news show are paid placements.
Is this really true? Most of the stories on my local news seem to be traffic accidents, arson, & murders, leavened with a few cute stories about local school-kids or pets. Then there are several detailed weather reports. I don't see what products are being touted . . . ?
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Is this really true? Most of the stories on my local news seem to be traffic accidents, arson, & murders, leavened with a few cute stories about local school-kids or pets. Then there are several detailed weather reports. I don't see what products are being touted . . . ?
Oh ours definitely does. The big news item is something like the latest Vegas show.

They also had a long news item supporting Taco Bell at the time there was adverse publicity about their 'ground beef'.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Jul 11th 2012 at 11:43 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Our local news is the same, reports of what's going on out there - crime, traffic, weather, etc. I can't see where the paid placements fit in.
As for Canada, we're close to the border so we do hear a bit about them and we can (and often do) tune into their newscasts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.