Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for good (and balanced) US news organisations?

Recommendations for good (and balanced) US news organisations?

Old Jul 10th 2012, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommendations for good (and balanced) US news organisations?

+1 for the Daily Show. How the hell do they manage to cover so many significant stories in a factual way while taking the piss out of everyone?

For more worldly stuff BBC World News is on at various times depending on your PBS station and BBC America.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of

We like PBS news, they regularly present both sides to political discussions. And they're not "flashy, glamour" newscasts like most regular networks offer.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 7:07 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

US media is biased and most here know which way is who Plus, as Tom Wolfe mentions in his great The Right Stuff, US media seems to filter? information more than many other 1st world countries.

I like the BBC for factual reporting, although their take on it can be a certain way. Overall I prefer France24.

For great commentary I strongly recommend The McLaughlin Group on PBS. You get all sides and no bones about it.

Pete
Old Jul 10th 2012, 7:32 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

If you want a single US source I'd go for NPR. In the US is is seen as left of center......but only because the US has gone so far to the right.

However, with any US media outlet you will get a very American and biased view of the world......if I have to listen to the dogma of American Exceptionalism much longer I think my head will explode.

Last edited by nun; Jul 10th 2012 at 7:35 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP would like to 'experience' the difficulties of getting quality viewpoints in the US, I would suggest they tune in to the BBC Parliament Channel (on Freeview) before they leave for the US. At 12:00 noon on a Sunday, they show CSPAN for 3 hours. The first hour (roughly) shows political speeches, Congressional hearings, etc. from the past week. After that, they broadcast CSPAN live, which on a Sunday morning consists of the latest topics in a 2 person panel format (opposing views with a moderator) with live phone-ins from listeners.

Although the topics are respectfully argued (except for the phone-ins) it's excellent prep for what you are about to encounter in terms of the diversity of viewpoints from opposing 'mainstream' sides that one finds in the US. (Note I said mainstream, as the participants usually do not represent the more prevalent, vociferous, and extreme political opinions.) The phone-ins are the key as they represent the fallout of US reporting/broadcasting.

As boring as the show is, this is the only time I have seen opposing views argued in a reasonably intelligent fashion on US television. But I enjoy it. It's a constant reminder of what I do not miss about US politics.

After viewing UK parliamentary committees (and even PM's questions), the idiotic Congressional hearings will leave you speechless.

Last edited by theOAP; Jul 10th 2012 at 8:24 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theOAP
The phone-ins are the key as they represent the fallout of US reporting/broadcasting.
See also: the letters page of your local newspaper.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Bootle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by anro15
I am due in the US later this year and would like to be able to keep up with what is going on in the world. In the UK, I read the Times, Telegraph and Guardian (the mostly accurate and balanced news part, not the politically leaning comments) and would like to maintain this breadth of world news coverage, but from a US perspective (in the DC metro area).

Are there any recommendations on US news organisations that would provide a similar level of politically neutral reporting and a more worldly perspective? The Times, but in a US based format (paper or tablet), would be perfect to enjoy with my breakfast.

Thanks

P.S. I realise that there is a danger of this thread being turned into a detailed discussion about how politically neutral the news agencies actually are. Please can contributors keep it on subject, thanks again.
You can The Times for Tablet in the US but it's basically the UK news. It's very good. I believe you can get The Guardian too. As for best overall coverage I would go with the Journal (Wall Street Journal). You can also get the print version of the Financial Times in most places (Barnes & Nobles in the suburbs have this in the News rack).
Old Jul 10th 2012, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

anro15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations, an interesting spread! The Washington Post looked fairly good and it has an app for tablets too. Though it looks like I'll never fully remove myself from the UK news for the international bit.

Don't the Americans ever complain about the poor quality news?
Old Jul 10th 2012, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations, an interesting spread! The Washington Post looked fairly good and it has an app for tablets too. Though it looks like I'll never fully remove myself from the UK news for the international bit.

It's like frogs slowly being boiled or whatever that analogy is.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the DC area. US TV is a complete joke. I watch BBC World News and France 24 on cable TV. CNN occasionally. I also read the Washington Post sometimes. But really the internet is your friend e.g. web sites of BBC, Independent, Telegraph, Guardian, etc.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

No, because they don't realise how spoon fed and rubbish it is.

Those that do, do like the rest of us and get it off the internet.

Anyone seen the new HBO show "Newsroom"? That's a pretty amusing look into things.

It's basically West Wing reset with a news anchor instead of a president.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Technically they do but only about the news that the other end of the spectrum watch, because what they watch is the truth, everyone else is wrong.

FoxNews viewers will decry the biased reporting from "the liberal media" while the opposite end call FoxNews such things as FauxNews. I picture it something like this:

Old Jul 11th 2012, 12:26 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP. If you want what you currently are used to, stick with online versions of those papers you currently read. There is no equivalent here. News is a commercial enterprise. They report what people want to hear, for ratings/ad revenue.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

HighCountry will become famous soon enoughHighCountry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Guardian, BBC, Al-Jazeera, Colbert and Bill Maher.

Local news is worse than 'Channel 9' on The Fast Show.
Chris Waddle?
Old Jul 11th 2012, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

HighCountry will become famous soon enoughHighCountry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bob
I'd stick with BBC News...but http://www.aljazeera.com/ Al Jazeera, surprisingly good for political stuff.

You can always use Calibre to scrape the news via the sites RSS feeds and create a news paper feel for your kindle and get it emailed to you when you want.
BBC and Al Jazeera are probably the best fit. Good news depends on investigative journalism, which we see very little of these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.