Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Recommend a DVD player please?

Recommend a DVD player please?

Old Mar 9th 2012, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of
Default Recommend a DVD player please?

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a DVD player that will play UK DVD's? The cheaper the better The TV is fine with PAL and our PS3 will play any Blu-ray's it just now won't play region 2 DVD's since Mark converted to work in the US

Mark is normally the one that sorts this stuff out but he is snowed under with work so I thought I would

Thanks

Vicki

P.S. I am happy to buy online if needed.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommend a DVD player please?

You could grab this from Walmart for $39:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-DV...layer/15032474

The hack to make it region free is available on the web:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks?dv...&Search=Search
Old Mar 9th 2012, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Super thanks

Will that work with PAL DVD's?? Or does it make no difference with the actual player just the TV?
Old Mar 9th 2012, 6:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
Super thanks

Will that work with PAL DVD's?? Or does it make no difference with the actual player just the TV?
Yes. It will work.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
Yes. It will work.
Super thanks
Old Mar 9th 2012, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Cool. If you buy it can you let me know if the hack still works?

I got a similar Phillips one (cheap from Walmart) a good while back. With the hack it plays UK DVD's fine.

I wouldn't mind getting another one whilst I can. Looking around - the newer ones seem to be harder to turn into multi-region.

Anyone else got any others that you can currently buy - and you know can be made multi-region?
Old Mar 9th 2012, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

I have a bought a lot of my stuff from:

http://www.220-electronics.com/specials.htm
Old Mar 9th 2012, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NSBlake
I have a bought a lot of my stuff from:

http://www.220-electronics.com/specials.htm
Nice one. I can actually go to that place sometime as well.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 8:16 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

We got a couple of Phillips DVP5990 units a few years back and they were easily hackable. At the time Costco and Best Buy carried them. However, on one the HDMI connection went bad (though regular wires still work) and the other has developed an intermittent fault when playing ANY DVD where it just stops playing (but resumes easily enough, at the same spot)...so not sure I can recommend them to others.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

We got this from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details and it works perfectly.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by avanutria
We got a couple of Phillips DVP5990 units a few years back and they were easily hackable. At the time Costco and Best Buy carried them. However, on one the HDMI connection went bad (though regular wires still work) and the other has developed an intermittent fault when playing ANY DVD where it just stops playing (but resumes easily enough, at the same spot)...so not sure I can recommend them to others.
Try the HDMI connection again. I had this happen and after using it will 'normal' cables for a while I tried it again and it worked. Seriously - I'm not making this up!

It's worked fine with HDMI ever since.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 10:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
...the other has developed an intermittent fault when playing ANY DVD where it just stops playing (but resumes easily enough, at the same spot)...so not sure I can recommend them to others.
Could be dirt on the laser lens?

Our DVD player is donkeys old, had similar thing start to happen so I took it apart and alcohol on a cotton bud, wiped the lens, which got quite minging. It's been working a treat ever since.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 10:38 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! We'll give that a shot. I've been running a lot of library discs through it lately, which probably aren't the cleanest of media.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Yes. It will work.
Great, I needed one too. Thanks.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 12:36 am
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Had been looking to buy a DVD for UK stuff so this thread was great timing! Have ordered it from Walmart, will report back on if the hacking still works!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.