Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Recognition of UK degrees in the US

Recognition of UK degrees in the US

Old Jan 11th 2014, 11:55 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recognition of UK degrees in the US

Originally Posted by arjunbendre
I understand from your post that UK/foreign degrees are 'evaluated' by an external organisation? How would I go about doing this if necessary?
I agree that you should wait until it's needed. I've never been asked to get my UK degree evaluated, but I have often been asked for the original (not copy) certificate.

Some employers get hung up on GPA requirements - these are more likely to want an evaluation. And, believe it or not, some employers still want an undergraduate GPA long after you get a second or third degree.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Universities might but employers are a different kettle of fish. Depends on the job and what you want to use the degree for, for example a foreign university isn't going to cover US business law, financial regulation, HR law, etc. so typically a foreign degree has less value, in the same way a US degree would have less value in the UK.

Also because a bachelor's only takes three years in the UK that often causes confusion, because you don't have the year of making up for crappy high school courses.

This gives an example of how this stupid four-year rule can cause you problems: http://www.immigration-visa-lawyer-b...y-what-co.html

So if you do three years, the degree often is considered less than the equivalent of a US degree.
I know what you're saying and maybe some people have had issues. However, I have not experienced issues and I don't know anyone else who has. 3 year degrees are common in Europe and many US employers are aware of that.

For US immigration purposes (green card application), my degree was professionally evaluated by an agency that specializes in this type of thing and reported to be the equivalent of a 4 year US degree.

As you said yourself, the first year of a 4 year degree is often a year of making sure that everyone is on the same page. Also, US degrees usually have "breadth requirements" that require students to study subjects outside of their main area of focus.

I did 14 years of school in the UK (7 primary, 7 high school including lower and upper 6th) in the UK before attending uni there. My daughter here in the US did 13 years of school (K plus grades 1-12). By the time she graduates from college, she will have done 17 years of schooling (13+4) - same as me (14+3).

Like me, she's doing a science degree but she was definitely behind me in terms of math and science by the time she got to college.

Once your career is underway, employers are less interested in the degree (yes, they want to know you have one for selection purposes) and much more interested in your work experience and skills. Often degrees are in fields that are not that related to your career. My degree is in Pure & Applied Physics but my career has been in software development. I did some computer programming as part of my Physics degree but that's about as far as the connection goes.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I know what you're saying and maybe some people have had issues. However, I have not experienced issues and I don't know anyone else who has. 3 year degrees are common in Europe and many US employers are aware of that.

For US immigration purposes (green card application), my degree was professionally evaluated by an agency that specializes in this type of thing and reported to be the equivalent of a 4 year US degree.

As you said yourself, the first year of a 4 year degree is often a year of making sure that everyone is on the same page. Also, US degrees usually have "breadth requirements" that require students to study subjects outside of their main area of focus.

I did 14 years of school in the UK (7 primary, 7 high school including lower and upper 6th) in the UK before attending uni there. My daughter here in the US did 13 years of school (K plus grades 1-12). By the time she graduates from college, she will have done 17 years of schooling (13+4) - same as me (14+3).

Like me, she's doing a science degree but she was definitely behind me in terms of math and science by the time she got to college.

Once your career is underway, employers are less interested in the degree (yes, they want to know you have one for selection purposes) and much more interested in your work experience and skills. Often degrees are in fields that are not that related to your career. My degree is in Pure & Applied Physics but my career has been in software development. I did some computer programming as part of my Physics degree but that's about as far as the connection goes.
One other note about degrees and their relevance to your career. Often employers want a degree because of the other skills you acquire while working towards your degree e.g. time management, commitment, discipline, work ethic, verbal and written communication, problem solving skills, ability to work under pressure, etc. Many employers see these skills as more important than what the degree was actually in.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 15th 2014 at 3:00 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

sultanoflondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay. Thanks for all the replies. They are much appreciated.

Dunroving, I am sorry to ask that question. With hindsight, I realise that I shouldn't have asked it.

I understand about the 3-4 years disparity. I'll take an informed decision soon. Tanks for all the help. Would anyone have any information on the costs and how to finance the education both in the UK and the US? Are there any insider tips?

Thanks once again!
Old Jan 15th 2014, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by arjunbendre
Okay. Thanks for all the replies. They are much appreciated.

Dunroving, I am sorry to ask that question. With hindsight, I realise that I shouldn't have asked it.

I understand about the 3-4 years disparity. I'll take an informed decision soon. Tanks for all the help. Would anyone have any information on the costs and how to finance the education both in the UK and the US? Are there any insider tips?

Thanks once again!
I would say that the most cost effective way to pay for a degree in the US is to attend what is known as a "community college" first for 2 years and obtain an Associate's Degree. Then transfer to a 4 year university to complete the final 2 years to obtain a Bachelor's Degree. This is the track my 2nd daughter is on. Depending on where you go, you might even have spent enough time in the state to qualify for the lower "in state" tuition fees by the time you transfer to the university.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 5:26 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

There are also a lot of accredited online universities now as well. Might be a less expensive option