Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Recipe translations needed!!! URGENT!

Recipe translations needed!!! URGENT!

Old Aug 6th 2005, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Francisco has a brilliant futureFrancisco has a brilliant futureFrancisco has a brilliant futureFrancisco has a brilliant futureFrancisco has a brilliant futureFrancisco has a brilliant future
Default Re: Recipe translations needed!!! URGENT!

Originally Posted by Lynne
It's cheese in a can like squirty cream. Well they say it's cheese but I have my doubts. Apparently it's popular to squirt it on crackers or, according to my neighbor, if you get lazy you can just squirt it in your mouth while watching the ball game. I have never tried it, just can't get past the idea of having cheese in a can like that.
I'll be sure to look out for it. Yum.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 6:11 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Francisco
I am still 100% British, please explain Cheese Whizz!

Imagine velveeta thats soft enough to squirt.

One of the places in South Philadelphia that's famous for "Philly Cheesesteaks" uses it. The cheesesteak is a treat that is waiting for you.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 7:04 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
As far as I know all purpose flour is essentially the same as self raising. A UK pint is 20oz and a US is 16oz, there is a small difference in the size of an ounce but not so much you would notice. Heavy cream is double cream. There is no one conversion from cups to oz/g, each ingredient is different, I have a list of the common ones (flour, butter, sugar, etc) at home if you need it.
The only trouble with heavy cream is its not the same consistency as double cream. Its still runny and thin unless you whip it up a bit. I miss the big gloopy dollops of double cream on strawberries.

Also, good luck with getting hold of staple St Delia of Smith ingredients such as fromage frais, greek yoghurt and creme fraiche - Where I live I'm more likely to find Jimmy Hoffa riding Shergar past Lord Lucan than I am to find that stuff.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 7:37 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
One of the places in South Philadelphia that's famous for "Philly Cheesesteaks" uses it. The cheesesteak is a treat that is waiting for you.
Quel sacrilège! You mean it hasn't been looted and burnt to the ground by the locals?

Though I do have a friend from Scotland who pines for cheese-in-a-can. Isn't Cheez Whiz proper in jars? Think "spreaable cheese."
Old Aug 6th 2005, 8:35 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
The only trouble with heavy cream is its not the same consistency as double cream. Its still runny and thin unless you whip it up a bit. I miss the big gloopy dollops of double cream on strawberries.

Also, good luck with getting hold of staple St Delia of Smith ingredients such as fromage frais, greek yoghurt and creme fraiche - Where I live I'm more likely to find Jimmy Hoffa riding Shergar past Lord Lucan than I am to find that stuff.

I don't remember UK double cream being pourable. The Foodnetwork do have a recipe for creme fraiche but I have not tried it. I used to use that a lot in the UK. My local Publix sells greek yoghurt.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 9:05 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

British self raising flour...

American self raising flour..

Hope that was of some help
Old Aug 6th 2005, 9:24 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Quel sacrilège! You mean it hasn't been looted and burnt to the ground by the locals?

Though I do have a friend from Scotland who pines for cheese-in-a-can. Isn't Cheez Whiz proper in jars? Think "spreaable cheese."
Pats King of SteaKs uses cheese whiz:
http://www.patskingofsteaks.com/recipe.htm
http://www.answers.com/topic/cheesesteak