British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Recipe Substitutes Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/recipe-substitutes-thread-850261/)

OnwardandUpward Jan 8th 2015 12:16 am

Recipe Substitutes Thread

I feel like a total genius whenever I find something reminiscent of my early life which works as a recipe without having to spend three months on it and/or raise and slaughter my own livestock etc....

My two favourite finds were
MUSHY PEAS substitute:

baby lima beans, boil down in water with teaspoon of sugar, mash with potato masher.

SAUSAGE ROLLS substitute:

Pepperidge Farm flaky pastry, defrost;
pork stuffing mix ( I use Kroger supermarket own brand ) half a box to 1 lb ground pork and half a cup of water, mix;
each pastry sheet makes 9 sausage rolls, cut into pieces and stretch, fill and 'glue' with milk, lay on pre-greased baking sheet, brush on milk to glaze;
bake ( I use 395 my oven )
After cooling they keep well and eat well refrigerated for next 3 days- they never last that long though.

AdobePinon Jan 8th 2015 12:41 am

Re: Recipe Substitutes Thread

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward (Post 11525392)
MUSHY PEAS substitute:

:sick:

FIFY. :p

Mr Weeze Jan 8th 2015 12:45 am

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward (Post 11525392)
I feel like a total genius whenever I find something reminiscent of my early life which works as a recipe without having to spend three months on it and/or raise and slaughter my own livestock etc....

My two favourite finds were
MUSHY PEAS substitute:

baby lima beans, boil down in water with teaspoon of sugar, mash with potato masher.

SAUSAGE ROLLS substitute:

Pepperidge Farm flaky pastry, defrost;
pork stuffing mix ( I use Kroger supermarket own brand ) half a box to 1 lb ground pork and half a cup of water, mix;
each pastry sheet makes 9 sausage rolls, cut into pieces and stretch, fill and 'glue' with milk, lay on pre-greased baking sheet, brush on milk to glaze;
bake ( I use 395 my oven )
After cooling they keep well and eat well refrigerated for next 3 days- they never last that long though.

Go to Fiesta for mushy peas (but still, well done)

Mrs Danvers Jan 8th 2015 1:07 am

I use the pepperidge farm pastry for sausage rolls too. Get my own pork sausage meat and do my own spices and seasonings. Which is basically Dijon mustard, onion powder and sage.

Bob Jan 8th 2015 3:57 pm

Jimmy Dean, they have that huge tube of sausage meat. That works very well, though Wegmans' have their own brand that's cheaper and as good.

Wegmans own brand veg beans are pretty similar to Heinz beans and Heinz do a vegetarian beans in a green can that's similar but a little sweater.

Hotscot Jan 8th 2015 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11526215)
but a little sweater.

For a pet?

BunnyGirl Jan 8th 2015 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11526291)
For a pet?

Or a small child?

GeoffM Jan 8th 2015 10:26 pm

I did some Cornish Pasties a few days ago using dry mix pie crust from Winco. It wasn't the right pastry really but did the job for a quick Pasty fix. :britflag: (shh.. don't tell RWfLP)

OnwardandUpward Jan 10th 2015 9:45 am

Kroger vegetarian baked beans are 59 c here, and better than Heinz in my opinion!

What I'd really like today is some comfort food...a pork pie and some steak and kidney pudding ( I'm not making either though- would take forever! )

MsElui Jan 11th 2015 3:10 am

i now have my kitchen aid attachemnts for grinding and sausage stuffing - and have the natural casing bought - so just need to get myself motivated up to buy the pork and retry the sausages again myself.

Hotscot Jan 11th 2015 3:30 am

Bought some British Bangers from Vons.
Planning on Toad in the Hole for breakfast tomorrow.

Never had it before:)

Weeze Jan 11th 2015 3:59 am

Toad in the hole for breakfast? Wtf.

Hotscot Jan 11th 2015 4:03 am

When would one normally have it?

Breakfast sounds about right to me...

I wouldn't eat sausage for dinner.

GeoffM Jan 11th 2015 4:18 am

Dinner with potato, vegetables, and gravy - IMHO anyway.

But hey it's sausage with batter that's not unlike US pancakes (or Yorkshire puddings) so what the hell.

Hotscot Jan 11th 2015 4:21 am

I've never had it..sounded good for tomorrow:)