Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Recent immigrants to the US

Recent immigrants to the US

Old May 23rd 2008, 10:38 am
Just Joined

ukman2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recent immigrants to the US

I would like to hear from people who have just gone through the immigration process, within the past months, like say the past 12 months or those who soon to go through it. Looking for an up to date knowledge of the process.

Also how are you adapting to your new home and what your likes and dislikes are, what was particularly charlenging, i.e schools.

Basically it would be good to hear from a families perspective.

Thank you for reading and hoping to read some interesting post, and sure all would love to as well.

Wayne
Old May 23rd 2008, 11:52 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recent immigrants to the US

You've just walked into the grocery store and asked the proprietor where in this town you might find some groceries. Look around.
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:23 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukman2007
I would like to hear from people who have just gone through the immigration process, within the past months, like say the past 12 months or those who soon to go through it. Looking for an up to date knowledge of the process.

Also how are you adapting to your new home and what your likes and dislikes are, what was particularly charlenging, i.e schools.

Thank you for reading and hoping to read some interesting post, and sure all would love to as well.

Wayne
You would need to be more specific about method of entry
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:23 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
You've just walked into the grocery store and asked the proprietor where in this town you might find some groceries. Look around.
do you have HP sauce in stock ..shopkeeper
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:45 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Wayne
You'll need to ask some specific questions. Are you looking at family based (like marriage) migrant experiences, or employment based ones? Those can make a huge difference on the amount of time, settling experiences etc
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:59 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Wayne
Just peruse the threads in the visa forums here on BE. You'll find plenty of information there.

As for the second question, just read this and the Trailer Park forums.
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Others had replied as I was about to that your questions are too general.

For immigration questions, post in the appropriate immigration forum.

For lifestyle questions, post in the USA forums.

First and foremost, do a search for the type of visa you will be using and read up on the experiences of others. And/or use the Wiki. Also search for your state and see what others have written about their life there.
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:48 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

we came over in October - my husband is on a working visa (L1A). It was never something we sought - just happened to be in the right place at the right time and got a great offer. Its my husband, me and 2 kids (then aged 11 months and 3).

We have been in 2 rental houses so far and have now chosen to go down the build your own house route! We saw lots and lots of resale properties but could never quite get all the points we wanted in a home all in one property. They recently broke ground on our plot and we hope to be in some time in October.

The kids have adadpted well although its been hard to find them friends as they dont attend regular daycare here (like they did in the uk). Also here in Ohio it was very cold and snowy through the winter so we couldnt get out and about so much. The rental we are in at the moment has lots of kids in the area but they mainly seem to be about 8+ so dont really want to play with a 3 year old.

Hard to say more without an idea of what sort of thing you are after.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 9:18 am
Just Joined

ukman2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your responses.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Clair 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:30 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clair 1
So now that you've determined your smilies are in working order, do you have a comment? Or since I reckon you're female, I'm just supposed to know what you're thinking...
Old Jun 17th 2008, 5:36 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
So now that you've determined your smilies are in working order, do you have a comment? Or since I reckon you're female, I'm just supposed to know what you're thinking...
Old Jun 18th 2008, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived end of June 2007. I came here as the wife of a US citizen, he moved here a couple of months earlier. We have three small children which did make the move harder, although they are all US citizens too so at least that side of things was easy.

It took about 5 months to get my green card. The hardest thing was selling our UK house. I had to be very organised to get everything done before we moved but I like a project ;-)

We moved to Maine. The schools here are great, especially in our town. The kids have settled in fine and are developing nice little accents. My 6 year old was the only one who complained about missing the UK and friends there.

The hardest thing was leaving friends and family, but I've met a lot of great people since I got here. Close friends take more time but we're getting there.

I haven't been at all homesick. I actually did a trip back to Scotland last week and although it was lovely to see family it's good to be back in the US. When I came through Immigration the officer said 'Welcome home' which made me smile, but it's true - this is home now.

The long snowy winter was tough, but the long sunny summers are beautiful. The space, open roads, friendly people, cheaper prices of a lot of goods all make it an easy life here for us.

A good website to help you through the visa application process is visajourney.com (am I allowed to link to that?). This site is great for planning your move and coping once you're here.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 1:39 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
A good website to help you through the visa application process is visajourney.com (am I allowed to link to that?). This site is great for planning your move and coping once you're here.
Why not? There are, after all, some decidedly strange people on BE's own US Marriage Based forum.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 6:07 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Why not? There are, after all, some decidedly strange people on BE's own US Marriage Based forum.
That's true. And the FAQ at VJ is from the group here, so why not get 2fer?
I can't stand that site anymore, but each to their own.