Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Recent experiences of flying dogs over.

Recent experiences of flying dogs over.

Old Sep 17th 2014, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

unique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recent experiences of flying dogs over.

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
BA don't insist you use an agent for flying into the UK. I did read somewhere that they mandated an agent for flying out, though, which is really annoying -- but you could just double-check anyway. A lot of stuff has been in flux since the UK regulations changed in 2012.

I don't know about United. Did they say you had to use an agent, or did they just request that you booked pets via their cargo division/affiliate? When our cats flew LAX-LHR with BA, we organized everything ourselves, but we did have to book their tickets with BA World Cargo. The regular ticketing department isn't set up to take manifest cargo bookings.
Was it expensive booking with BA World Cargo?
Old Sep 17th 2014, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Allfourfeet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thinbrit
How many dogs, and what size/weight?

http://www.nice-world.org/files/flying%20dog.jpg
Sorry been manic at the moment trying to get organised. Two border collies, around 20kg each. I've been quoted 2600 from PetAir for the pair, so was really hoping to try do it myself!

Thankyou everyone, will probably have a call round some airlines tomorrow, I wasn't aware that you couldn't fly dogs as excessive baggage out of the UK at all?!
Old Sep 17th 2014, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Weeze
This is brilliant. Feel silly I missed it. Thankyou!
Old Sep 17th 2014, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

You probably already know this, but if you fly into the UK you don't have a choice. Thousands of pounds extra, and the only tangible difference for little Fluffy is that van-ride from the plane to customs -- argh!

Edit for the OP: I'm 99% sure you still can't fly pets out of the UK as baggage. As with arriving pets, they have to be manifest cargo.
Yep, would fly to Europe anyway and drive, if necessary, to UK. I also don't think you can fly them out of the UK unless you do it as cargo but not 100% sure.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 5:45 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unique_boy
Yes, very! But no more expensive than flying the pets cargo with any other airline. Cargo is expensive!

It was a real shock to us because, as I've said, we flew the cats as excess baggage from Europe to the US and were assuming we could do that again to come back to the UK. Nope. It was about 3 times the cost to go cargo, or maybe more.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 8:00 am
Just Joined

DJL99 is an unknown quantity at this point

BA don't insist you use an agent for flying into the UK. I did read somewhere that they mandated an agent for flying out, though, which is really annoying -- but you could just double-check anyway. A lot of stuff has been in flux since the UK regulations changed in 2012.

I don't know about United. Did they say you had to use an agent, or did they just request that you booked pets via their cargo division/affiliate?
Thanks. From what I've can see BA insist on it out of the UK. The link from this takes you straight to through to IAG Cargo and if you fill in details from there you get contacted by agents...

Travelling with pets | Special Assistance | British Airways

I phoned United Cargo but they said you have to use an agent. Phoning Virgin this morning to see how that compares... but they don't allow you to do it on the weekends, which was our preference so my wife won't have to take time off work having (hopefully) only just started.

Also looking into travelling to Paris, Amsterdam or Frankfurt and going via their national airlines... but this lengthens the trip and adds stress further. Wondering whether driving may be better for that or getting a connecting flight...

Also I can find no flights actually on Lufthansa (rather than code shares) from Frankfurt which go to Houston despite (wikipedia (poor source I know) saying there are. I can see why people end up getting agents!
Old Sep 19th 2014, 6:33 am
Just Joined

DJL99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Eventually booked with KLM flying via Amsterdam to Houston - £505 for me and $200 for the cat as checked-in luggage which seems extremely reasonable. It'll be 13 hours journey there and then a five hour drive Houston-NOLA but that seemed largely unavoidable.

Any recommendations for pet carriers? Having saved on the flight I'd like to get him something very comfortable, expensive if need be. They don't seem to mind a fairly large carrier - for a medium sized cat that would give him plenty of space but I'd be worried he'd be thrown around?
Old Sep 19th 2014, 8:44 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

I will be flying American Airlines from Manchester to JFK with my 2 cats as they seem to be the only airline flying direct from UK that allow pets as excess baggage.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 9:11 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DJL99
Any recommendations for pet carriers? Having saved on the flight I'd like to get him something very comfortable, expensive if need be. They don't seem to mind a fairly large carrier - for a medium sized cat that would give him plenty of space but I'd be worried he'd be thrown around?
Check the IATA requirements, and also ask your airline for their own rules; there are some strict regulations about size, ventilation, type of fastenings etc.

In general, a carrier suitable for pet flying is going to be a whole lot bigger and sturdier than the everyday type you use when going to the vet.

One rule is that there needs to be a certain amount of clearance above the cat's head, and that they're able to turn around, so you usually find you need quite a large carrier. I've just measured ours (the cat still sleeps in it) and it's about 52cm x 52 x 72. They are bloody cumbersome to lug around, be warned!

You can pad it out with blankets. I don't think being thrown around is an issue; it would be very unlucky if you hit severe turbulence, but generally it's more important that the pet has a comfortable amount of space when flying long-haul. Some airlines won't actually accept carriers under a certain size.

One of the best brands is the Petmate VariKennel Ultra.

FYI, the IATA doesn't officially endorse any one brand, so when you see a carrier advertised as 'IATA approved', take it with a pinch of salt.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 9:19 am
Misses Los Angeles

Originally Posted by lizzyq
I will be flying American Airlines from Manchester to JFK with my 2 cats as they seem to be the only airline flying direct from UK that allow pets as excess baggage.
That's interesting -- so there's one airline, at least, who let you do this? It's so much cheaper than cargo.

I've just looked at the Heathrow website pets section, and it does indicate that pets can legally fly out of the UK as excess/accompanied baggage, but that it depends on the airline.

(And flying in to the UK is still cargo only.)

Heathrow: Tips and advice | Travelling with pets
Old Sep 19th 2014, 2:26 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unique_boy
It's been a while but when we flew our dog over BA suggested we use an agent and we paid less than normal BA rates.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Have you got his info recently? If so, where from? I calls American Airlines this morning and got told that no animal could be flown out of the UK as excess baggage?
Old Sep 19th 2014, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

I think the rules might have changed recently. Alarmingly, when I booked with KLM (flying out of Amsterdam) at the beginning of the year they also said 'We're stopping the pets as baggage service soon too but can't tell you when.' :s
Old Sep 19th 2014, 2:52 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

It is current on their website and I spoke to them about 3 weeks ago.

http://www.americanairlines.co.uk/i1...ggage/pets.jsp

If you spoke to US Airways (as they are now semi-merged), they will NOT fly animals form the UK.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

I only called them to double check, as so much of it is unsure. I thought after reading their website they would but she was adamant they wouldn't. It was definitely American Airlines I spoke to. Looking like I might have to go trough an agent and just pay the extra money which was something I was really hoping to not have to do!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.