Wikiposts

Recent arrival

Old Apr 22nd 2006, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

dbman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recent arrival

I moved here on 04/04/06 on a K3 visa.

My questions are;

1. How long does do I have to wait to get my social security number/green card? I was told it could take 3 to 6 weeks.

2. I have had a couple of job interviews already, but the agencies seem wary of taking me on without a green card/social security number(even though I hve showed them the K3 visa stamped in my passport. Do I have to get a EAD? Will this help convince prospective employers that I have to right to work here?
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 5:39 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recent arrival

Originally Posted by dbman
I moved here on 04/04/06 on a K3 visa.

My questions are;

1. How long does do I have to wait to get my social security number/green card? I was told it could take 3 to 6 weeks.

2. I have had a couple of job interviews already, but the agencies seem wary of taking me on without a green card/social security number(even though I hve showed them the K3 visa stamped in my passport. Do I have to get a EAD? Will this help convince prospective employers that I have to right to work here?

Don't go announcing your immigration status to employers -- they don't understand it and it's of no consequence to them. I would omit mention of it all together. When you finally get employment, your employer will need to fill out and submit the I9 form. Look it through and check you can comply with its terms.

The only question they can ask you is whether you can legally work in the US. And when the answer is "yes", simply say so.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Don't go announcing your immigration status to employers -- they don't understand it and it's of no consequence to them. I would omit mention of it all together. When you finally get employment, your employer will need to fill out and submit the I9 form. Look it through and check you can comply with its terms.

The only question they can ask you is whether you can legally work in the US. And when the answer is "yes", simply say so.
Thanks.

I am still waiting for my green card/social security number; how long does it take to typically get them?

Do I have to file for an EAD?
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 5:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

In NJ employees are required to see your GC as proof of your status.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 5:54 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Employers...

But that cannot be right as EADs also convey the right to work.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 5:55 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

I am still waiting for my green card/social security number; how long does it take to typically get them?

If you're a K3, believe you have some hurdles to go before you get your GC and you may well need an EAD. The Marriage forum down below will have more details and more experience, even if there are some rather strange people down there. Probably best to ask your question down there, then pop quickly back up here for real life before they indoctrinate you.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 5:57 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

If you're a K3, believe you have some hurdles to go before you get your GC and you may well need an EAD. The Marriage forum down below will have more details and more experience, even if there are some rather strange people down there. Probably best to ask your question down there, then pop quickly back up here for real life before they indoctrinate you.

Strange people? No - who?

Eh - don't answer that...
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 5:57 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

In the whole of the US of A, employers are required to do precisely what is written on the I9 or face getting their ass sued by both the Feds and the aggrieved.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

In the whole of the US of A, employers are required to do precisely what is written on the I9 or face getting their ass sued by both the Feds and the aggrieved.
Thanks for the feedback so far.

I'll pose the same question on the immigration/marriage forum as advised.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 7:47 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Simplest question ..have you filled in the SS5 and applied for it ...
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Thanks.

You need to apply for the EAD NOW!!!!!!

The stamp on your I-94 in your passport should only be for 90 days work entitlement, after the 90 days you're not permitted to work.

The EAD should take about 90 days (USCIS estimate) to process and be forwarded to you. I wouldnt even bother getting a job until you have the EAD, otherwise you are going to look an arse when your I-94 stamp expires and you havent received the EAD yet, and it sounds from your post as if you haven't even applied for it yet.

You have to go to your nearest Social Security Office in person and apply for a SS#. Take all your visa stuff and passport. They need to check your immigration status before they issue you with a SS# and that will take about 2 weeks and arrive by post.

Green card..here again you need to apply. You will have to adjust your status (AOS) to recieve the green card.

Its all here..

www.uscis.gov
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elvira
Employers...

But that cannot be right as EADs also convey the right to work.
Green cards are a work permit in their own right. Once you have a green card you dont need an EAD. EAD's on a K visa are only used while adjusting status to a permanent resident
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 1:23 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by rushman
You will have to adjust your status (AOS) to recieve the green card.

Its all here..

www.uscis.gov
Sweetheart - you are very kind in trying to help this chap who got his knickers in a twist and didn't know his K3 from a I-what-ever-whatsit.

But it's all been sorted over on the Marriage board - so don't start confusing the lad.

Just explain to him about the Lounge, and Trailer Park and the rest of it - that'll be much more useful to him in the long run.

And then get your 4$$ over to the 3-words game as we need some input from someone of your verbal talents. Or if you find that easier.