British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Receiving UK pension and U.S Social Security. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/receiving-uk-pension-u-s-social-security-916271/)

hawklords2525 Aug 19th 2018 8:44 pm

Receiving UK pension and U.S Social Security.

First Post.

Hi,After many years of living in the U.S I moved back to the UK.I live in the UK.
Ive been receiving my U.S Social Security check into my UK bank account since I was about 65 and a half,Ive also been receiving my British pension into my UK bank account when I turned 65.
Ive recently been told by a friend that you cant have a U.S and UK pension at the same time.Is this correct?
Im 67 now.

Rete Aug 19th 2018 10:09 pm

Re: Receiving UK pension and U.S Social Security.

No this is not correct

Rete Aug 19th 2018 10:11 pm

SS benefit is not a pension

hawklords2525 Aug 19th 2018 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12551195)
No this is not correct

Ok,thank you Rete for confirming that someone can have their U.S S.S and UK Pension paid at the same time into a UK bank account.Not sure what you mean when you say that SS is not a pension though......what is it?

vespucci Aug 20th 2018 12:28 am

Originally Posted by hawklords2525 (Post 12551161)
First Post.

Hi,After many years of living in the U.S I moved back to the UK.I live in the UK.
Ive been receiving my U.S Social Security check into my UK bank account since I was about 65 and a half,Ive also been receiving my British pension into my UK bank account when I turned 65.
Ive recently been told by a friend that you cant have a U.S and UK pension at the same time.Is this correct?
Im 67 now.

As has been pointed out this is not correct. You must have over 30 years of US "substantial earnings" otherwise you would be aware of this as your US SS would be reduced by WEP due to your UK pension.

durham_lad Aug 21st 2018 8:52 am

Originally Posted by hawklords2525 (Post 12551161)
First Post.

Im 67 now.

not only can you have both SS and the U.K. OAP but many of us pay voluntary NI contributions to maximize our OAP. (I’m still about 3 years away from starting to receive both).

hawklords2525 Aug 22nd 2018 11:10 am

Originally Posted by vespucci (Post 12551230)
As has been pointed out this is not correct. You must have over 30 years of US "substantial earnings" otherwise you would be aware of this as your US SS would be reduced by WEP due to your UK pension.

Yes,correct because when I made my application for SS the lady on the phone told me I would not be getting the full amount .

hawklords2525 Aug 22nd 2018 11:14 am

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12551931)

not only can you have both SS and the U.K. OAP but many of us pay voluntary NI contributions to maximize our OAP. (I’m still about 3 years away from starting to receive both).

Thank you for your reply Durham boy.I am not getting the full amount of UK OAP because I was short on my contribution as I was living in the U.S and money had to go to more important daily expenses,however do you know how I can increase my UK OAP pension now I am in the UK? Thank you.

durham_lad Aug 22nd 2018 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by hawklords2525 (Post 12552572)
Thank you for your reply Durham boy.I am not getting the full amount of UK OAP because I was short on my contribution as I was living in the U.S and money had to go to more important daily expenses,however do you know how I can increase my UK OAP pension now I am in the UK? Thank you.

In your first post above you said you were already receiving your UK OAP so I don't believe you can now pay back contributions, but no harm in asking, nothing to lose, I don't read anywhere in the link below about an age limitation.

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions

hawklords2525 Aug 22nd 2018 5:04 pm

[QUOTE=durham_lad;12552650]In your first post above you said you were already receiving your UK OAP so I don't believe you can now pay back contributions, but no harm in asking, nothing to lose, I don't read anywhere in the link below about an age limitation.

Durham Lad,yes....Ive just found out that there is a process called the "topping up process" it looks complicated but it is possible to pay a lump sum now to HMRC and it is possible to increase your monthly OAP pension.

hawklords2525 Aug 22nd 2018 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by vespucci (Post 12551230)

Thank you,if my SS was reduced because I was receiving a UK pension is it possible that my UK pension could be reduced by receiving my SS ?

spouse of scouse Aug 22nd 2018 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by hawklords2525 (Post 12552733)
Thank you,if my SS was reduced because I was receiving a UK pension is it possible that my UK pension could be reduced by receiving my SS ?

No. Your UK State pension is based on your NI record, you've paid into it, it's yours.

Giantaxe Aug 22nd 2018 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12552650)
In your first post above you said you were already receiving your UK OAP so I don't believe you can now pay back contributions, but no harm in asking, nothing to lose, I don't read anywhere in the link below about an age limitation.

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions

I do know you can't contribute for any year that you are in or past your retirement age. But... given you can back pay five (?) years, it would be interesting to know whether you can do that for past years that you were not at retirement age even if you are now past that age. Additionally, there were special "top up" provisions for people in a certain range of birth dates - not sure of the specifics because I saw it didn't apply to my birth date.

hawklords2525 Aug 23rd 2018 7:04 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12552734)
No. Your UK State pension is based on your NI record, you've paid into it, it's yours.

Thank you Scouse.

hawklords2525 Aug 23rd 2018 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 12552757)
I do know you can't contribute for any year that you are in or past your retirement age. But... given you can back pay five (?) years, it would be interesting to know whether you can do that for past years that you were not at retirement age even if you are now past that age. Additionally, there were special "top up" provisions for people in a certain range of birth dates - not sure of the specifics because I saw it didn't apply to my birth date.

Thank you Giantaxe...if I can get to the bottom of this I will post on here.