British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Received A Child Support Agency Letter Today (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/received-child-support-agency-letter-today-259827/)

rincewind Oct 13th 2004 12:43 am

Received A Child Support Agency Letter Today

I went to the mail box today and almost had a heart attack as inside was a letter from the Child Support Agency in England.

A quick briefing:

My ex and I had a wonderful daughter and she left me back in 2001 taking my daughter with her because she wanted to "go it alone." We agreed on a monthly figure ourselves that I should pay as child support. This avoided messy legal battles and stuff. We just agreed it. She also said I could keep the house as I had to live somewhere so I left my daughter's room all set up as she had left it.

Then I met my new wife and my ex heard about it and pretty soon I had the solicitor’s letter saying I had to sell the house and she demanded child support.

The house wasn't a problem, my new wife and I had already made our plans and I was going to sell it anyway. But child support? We had already agreed it :confused:

I told her solicitor about our agreed sum and even they were surprised as my ex hadn't said anything to them. So it was left alone.

Also, instead of me handing my ex the money, I set up a savings account for my daughter and the money goes in there. Only my mother and I have access until my daughter turns 16. Then it's hers to do with what she will. My ex works full time in a good paying job so it seemed the best thing to do.

Thankfully, it finally sorted itself out and runs smoothly without legal battles although I am always expecting her to crap on me and start an official claim.

But today was surprising. The letter I received was to tell me that an application for child support has ended :confused:

According to the letter, my ex has advised them that they do not want the case to continue.

First off, what case??? We had an agreement and it was working. Did she do something behind my back and then changed her mind?

Second, I'm relieved as I was shaking when I saw the letter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy about the fact I don't have to pay. I'm still paying and will continue to do so as I want my daughter to be secure when she gets older. It was just a surprise to see my ex stopping the case.

Weird.

Manc Oct 13th 2004 12:55 am

Re: Received A Child Support Agency Letter Today

Wonder what the beef was with the CSA? Someone must have triggered them into writing to you.
I thought they only went vigourously after father's whose ex spouse was now on benefits?

wierd huh?

doctor scrumpy Oct 13th 2004 11:25 am

Can they enforce any payments through the US courts ?

Englishmum Oct 13th 2004 12:34 pm

I suspect that your ex probably applied for a single parent tax credit (assuming she is still a 'single parent' ie. not living with another person as if married).

Also single parents get a small extra sum each week in addition to Child Benefit.

It probably automatically triggers a prompt in the Inland Revenue or Child Benefit Centre computer system to generate an enquiry as to whether or not the father is paying maintainance (rather than having the State bearing all the cost).

Fortunately for you, your ex doesn't want to proceed with the CSA - she probably knows she's onto a good thing already (as I'm sure you're generous with the allowance you pay into your daughter's account) and has probably been advised that the CSA decisions may not be so easily enforceable with a parent living overseas. I understand that the system is hopelessly bogged down with bureaucracy anyway and your ex probably just didn't want the hassle.

I'm astonished that you didn't get your agreement drawn up legally though....perhaps it's time you did? It shouldn't cost very much - probably less than 100 pounds all told.

Good Luck. :)

jockf Oct 13th 2004 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Can they enforce any payments through the US courts ?

I contacted the CSA as I have the same sort of problem. The CSA told me that if you work for an UK based company in the USA then they can still proceed with action against you. If you have no ties to the UK then they cannot raise action against you untill you return to the UK. They dont enforce a policy for chasing people overseas as they have a big enough fight finding non paying parents in the UK. I just set up a bank account and transfer money every month.

dbark Oct 13th 2004 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by jockf
I contacted the CSA as I have the same sort of problem. The CSA told me that if you work for an UK based company in the USA then they can still proceed with action against you. If you have no ties to the UK then they cannot raise action against you untill you return to the UK. They dont enforce a policy for chasing people overseas as they have a big enough fight finding non paying parents in the UK. I just set up a bank account and transfer money every month.

I had cause to contact the CSA recently, and the reply I had was:

"Dear Madam,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The Child Support Agency can calculate and collect maintenance only if the person with care and qualifying child are habitually resident in the UK. In your scenario, you need to contact your local courts to seek maintenance via another avenue.

If you have any further enquiries please contact the National Help Line on 08457 133 133, or for those who are hard of hearing and have a textphone 08457 138 924. Lines are open 8.00am- 8.00pm Monday to Friday, 9.00- 5.00pm Saturdays. In addition the Child Support Agency’s website can be viewed at: www.csa.gov.uk"

jockf Oct 13th 2004 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by dbark
I had cause to contact the CSA recently, and the reply I had was:

"Dear Madam,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The Child Support Agency can calculate and collect maintenance only if the person with care and qualifying child are habitually resident in the UK. In your scenario, you need to contact your local courts to seek maintenance via another avenue.

If you have any further enquiries please contact the National Help Line on 08457 133 133, or for those who are hard of hearing and have a textphone 08457 138 924. Lines are open 8.00am- 8.00pm Monday to Friday, 9.00- 5.00pm Saturdays. In addition the Child Support Agency’s website can be viewed at: www.csa.gov.uk"

It was stated by an assesing officer, in person about the UK based company thing in the US. The factor in it is, only if your wage is being paid from the UK into a UK bank account that they can take action. Sorry for not putting full info on my post reply. lol

Lothianlad Oct 14th 2004 8:46 pm

The Independent Thursday 14 Oct 04

CSA "on point of collapse" owing £720m to parents

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...p?story=571937

rincewind Oct 14th 2004 8:57 pm

From the official CSA site:

The Child Support Agency can only deal with an application for child maintenance when both parents and the child live in the UK.

The only exceptions to this are when the non-resident parent or the parent with care:

1) is working abroad in the service of the crown, i.e. – is a civil servant or works within Her Majesty's diplomatic service or within Her Majesty's overseas civil service.

2) is a member of the Armed Forces

3) works abroad for a UK based company, i.e. it employs people to work outside the UK but makes payments via a UK payroll; and the company is registered under the companies act 1985 (England, Wales and Scotland) or the companies (Northern Ireland) order 1986.

4) works abroad on secondment for a prescribed body, for example, - from a NHS trust; or regional health authority; or primary care trust; or local authority.

jockf Oct 14th 2004 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by rincewind
From the official CSA site:

The Child Support Agency can only deal with an application for child maintenance when both parents and the child live in the UK.

The only exceptions to this are when the non-resident parent or the parent with care:

3) works abroad for a UK based company, i.e. it employs people to work outside the UK but makes payments via a UK payroll; and the company is registered under the companies act 1985 (England, Wales and Scotland) or the companies (Northern Ireland) order 1986.

This was the point I was trying to make!

rincewind Oct 14th 2004 10:11 pm

This was the point I was trying to make!

:D :D