Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

REASONS WHY I LIKE THE USA.

REASONS WHY I LIKE THE USA.

Old Dec 27th 2012, 9:52 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: REASONS WHY I LIKE THE USA.

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla
I agree.
The very fact that Americans don't use the terms working,middle or upper classes but blue or white collar suggests that they themselves don't believe there is a class system.
It's also probably why there isn't the huge resentment of the better off that there is in the UK as most Americans see wealth as an ambition to be achieved rather than envied.
For all its economic woes it is still the land of opportunity.
All I heard about during the last election cycle was the "middle class" - the term was used a million times per day across every channel.

I thought social mobility had gotten worse in the US and was now below that of many European countries - land of opportunity?
Old Dec 27th 2012, 10:00 am
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
All I heard about during the last election cycle was the "middle class" - the term was used a million times per day across every channel.

I thought social mobility had gotten worse in the US and was now below that of many European countries - land of opportunity?
If it isn't why do so many people want to move to the US ?
If some of the posts on here are to be believed the way the country treats poor people is
shocking but I suppose the term poor, just like middle or working class, is all relative when you have't a pot to piss in.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Sure it has got its bad points but where hasn't ?
These are far outweighed by the many reasons why more people attempt to live in the USA, legally and illegally, than any other country on the planet.

1. Tolerance

I really can't think of any other country where people from so many different nationalities,creeds and religions co-exist in reasonable harmony with their rights enshrined in law.

2. Opportunity

It is still the land of opportunity where hard work and risk-taking can bring huge rewards.Virtually every American millionaire I know started out without a pot to piss in.

3. Shameless consumerism

How people spend their money is still a shameless part of the American way and why not ? Shameless displays of wealth are still greeted with respect and understanding rather than jealousy and envy.Those who create wealth for themselves pass it on to others.France is only just beginning to discover to its cost that if you tax the wealth creators out of existence all you'll do is see them move to another country and pay taxes there.Doh !

4. Climate and landscape

If you ignore the hot,flat bits in the middle the United States really does have everything.

5. Friendly,welcoming people

Yanks are a bit Marmitey I admit. Haters are always gonna hate but I'm firmly in the love 'em camp. In a population of more than 300 million you're always going to find a few wrong 'uns but in general I've found them to be honest,open,welcoming and respectful of a person's different nationality.

These are just a few of my favourite things and naturally people will have their own subjective views on the United States.
I think this post should have held back, until April 1st, because you are obviously taking the P*ss.

Jim.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

I agree.
The very fact that Americans don't use the terms working,middle or upper classes but blue or white collar suggests that they themselves don't believe there is a class system.
The fact they use terms 'blue collar' and 'white collar' very much suggests they believe there IS a class system...

It's also probably why there isn't the huge resentment of the better off that there is in the UK as most Americans see wealth as an ambition to be achieved rather than envied.
For all its economic woes it is still the land of opportunity.
I posit that here in the US there is a sizeable minority of people who resent the poor and act (or inact) accordingly.

I agree though that wealth & success is seen much more positively here in the US and that it is much more the land of opportunity.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

If it isn't why do so many people want to move to the US ?
If some of the posts on here are to be believed the way the country treats poor people is
shocking but I suppose the term poor, just like middle or working class, is all relative when you have't a pot to piss in.
So many people want to move to the US because of the image, accurate or not, that it is the land of opportunity, etc etc etc, OR...

...because their own situation is so sh1t and the US is the easier place to get to (than say, the EU) for various reasons - family connections, treaties the US has etc etc etc...

And yes, the way this country, in parts, treats its poor, is shocking - but the UK is no land of milk & honey either, though in comparison, it does have a bigger, deeper safety net for many of the vulnerable...
Old Dec 27th 2012, 1:31 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
The fact they use terms 'blue collar' and 'white collar' very much suggests they believe there IS a class system...
Another common classist term used here (pseudo ironically, but people mean it..) "The little people."
Old Dec 27th 2012, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
So many people want to move to the US because of the image

Especially near Disneyworld, Florida.

Jim.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Especially near Disneyworld, Florida.

Jim.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 4:04 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Class is not spoken of in America directly, if it isn't a taboo, it is close to being one. Proof I would say that America is riddled with a class problem.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 4:16 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Class is not spoken of in America directly, if it isn't a taboo, it is close to being one. Proof I would say that America is riddled with a class problem.
Yeah, it's called race.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 4:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Yeah, it's called race.
and trailers.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 5:55 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Leslie
Yeah, it's called race.
So America currently has a working class President ?

I could have sworn he was a lawyer.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 6:16 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 27th 2012, 6:16 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, a community organiser :elbowrib:

There IS a class system in the US but it is possible to move across lines. I agree that we 'marriccins would rather jump off a cliff than admit there's class distinctions here.

The poor want to be seen as middle class...

Pete
Old Dec 27th 2012, 7:46 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.