Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

REASONS WHY I LIKE THE USA.

REASONS WHY I LIKE THE USA.

Old Dec 23rd 2012, 1:58 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold
Default REASONS WHY I LIKE THE USA.

Sure it has got its bad points but where hasn't ?
These are far outweighed by the many reasons why more people attempt to live in the USA, legally and illegally, than any other country on the planet.

1. Tolerance

I really can't think of any other country where people from so many different nationalities,creeds and religions co-exist in reasonable harmony with their rights enshrined in law.

2. Opportunity

It is still the land of opportunity where hard work and risk-taking can bring huge rewards.Virtually every American millionaire I know started out without a pot to piss in.

3. Shameless consumerism

How people spend their money is still a shameless part of the American way and why not ? Shameless displays of wealth are still greeted with respect and understanding rather than jealousy and envy.Those who create wealth for themselves pass it on to others.France is only just beginning to discover to its cost that if you tax the wealth creators out of existence all you'll do is see them move to another country and pay taxes there.Doh !

4. Climate and landscape

If you ignore the hot,flat bits in the middle the United States really does have everything.

5. Friendly,welcoming people

Yanks are a bit Marmitey I admit. Haters are always gonna hate but I'm firmly in the love 'em camp. In a population of more than 300 million you're always going to find a few wrong 'uns but in general I've found them to be honest,open,welcoming and respectful of a person's different nationality.

These are just a few of my favourite things and naturally people will have their own subjective views on the United States.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: REASONS WHY I LIKE THE USA.

Do you live here?
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 8:02 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

I do and I agree with the op's post. I believe attitude is everything. Initially had my challenges in dealing with culture shock and adjustments to a different way of life, but the onus was on me to do as the romans do to make my new abode work. Not by any means perfect but the pros outweigh the cons by far. Have also observed that those expats that have adjusted the best are those that have accepted that they have the responsibility to make their new environment work for them. Not easy I know but is possible if one can shake off the glass half empty attitude.

Life is simply too short to be miserable, and if this country simply does not float your boat, I hope you all(as a collective group) can find your way back home to where you believe you will be happy.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 8:54 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the USC, and my husband's the immigrant, so I don't have a dog in this fight... but there's something he always says that makes me settle down when I start longing for greener pastures.

"Don't fret about it, pet; home is where you are when you close the door."
Old Dec 24th 2012, 1:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

OK I'll bite. I like english muffins, have one every morning for breakfast. If I think of anything else I'll post again..
Old Dec 24th 2012, 2:12 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I predict that the sanctimony shall run high in this thread
Old Dec 24th 2012, 4:18 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I like the National Parks.....
Old Dec 24th 2012, 4:22 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I like the National Parks.....
Yes, the Lake District is great..
Old Dec 24th 2012, 4:27 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I like the Bacon here.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 4:27 pm
@matthewb76

hahahaha only ***king joking

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 24th 2012 at 5:02 pm. Reason: Magic eraser
Old Dec 24th 2012, 6:57 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Manc
hahahaha only ***king joking
I say, well done on the magic eraser J-Train.
I can understand profanity slipping out in conversation but to take the effort of typing out the f-word on an internet forum in the hope that someone thinks it's cool or clever has always struck me as a bit sad.
Even sadder is typing out a profanity deliberately misspelt.
Glad to see someone is upholding standards.
Proper order, what ?
Old Dec 24th 2012, 7:09 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla
I say, well done on the magic eraser J-Train.
I can understand profanity slipping out in conversation but to take the effort of typing out the f-word on an internet forum in the hope that someone thinks it's cool or clever has always struck me as a bit sad.
Even sadder is typing out a profanity deliberately misspelt.
Glad to see someone is upholding standards.
Proper order, what ?
It puts a smile on my face to see that this bothered you so much that you had to rant about it, because it signifies that you had nothing more irritating to worry about. Cheers
Old Dec 24th 2012, 7:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I like the mild Winter weather we get here where I am, above the fog and below the snow, and the sunshine is lovely but only in winter.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 7:23 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

The Freedom! What about the freedom?
Old Dec 24th 2012, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

sinbad2222 is a jewel in the roughsinbad2222 is a jewel in the roughsinbad2222 is a jewel in the roughsinbad2222 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by robin1234
OK I'll bite. I like english muffins, have one every morning for breakfast. If I think of anything else I'll post again..
"English muffins" are dreadful. Just edible cotton wool. They are an American invention imported to the UK by such as Marks and Spencer and are totally phony. They never existed in England 60 years ago, I was there !
Apart from Filet steaks and fish, American food is apalling and their supermarkets third rate. Just look at the average citizen riddled with diabetes and cardiac conditions. I'm now spending Xmas in Worthing, M&S and Waitrose and Morrisons are superb after Boston Shop and Drop etc.
American"friendliness" is usually phony. They live and breathe money and will screw you at any opportunity.
I like the US honesty over race though. Here in Boston segregation rules, East Roxbry and Matapan are black ghettos with almost total separation. In the UK the BBC purveys relentless propaganda designed to force the majority whites to integrate with the immigrant blacks and Browns plus of course the BBC obsession with homosexuality which is thrust on the normal folks at every opportunity.
US women by the way are almost totally sexless and are usually herpes ridden.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.