Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

REASONS WHY I LIKE THE USA.

REASONS WHY I LIKE THE USA.

Old Dec 24th 2012, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: REASONS WHY I LIKE THE USA.

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The Freedom! What about the freedom?
I can feel this coming on....

Old Dec 24th 2012, 8:10 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

I like that people are allowed to be successful in the US.

I can't speak for other areas of the country, but in northern California, there doesn't seem to be much of that "old money" is the only stuff worth having bull-crap.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 8:28 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinbad2222
"English muffins" are dreadful. Just edible cotton wool. They are an American invention imported to the UK by such as Marks and Spencer and are totally phony. They never existed in England 60 years ago, I was there !
They were featured in Mrs Beaton's Guide to Household Management in 1851. Although I'll agree the ones sold in the grocery store here aren't fabulous.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 8:34 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
They were featured in Mrs Beaton's Guide to Household Management in 1851. Although I'll agree the ones sold in the grocery store here aren't fabulous.
So she does
MUFFINS.

1727. INGREDIENTS – To every quart of milk allow 1–1/2 oz. of German yeast, a little salt; flour.

[Illustration: MUFFINS.]

Mode.—Warm the milk, add to it the yeast, and mix these well together; put them into a pan, and stir in sufficient flour to make the whole into a dough of rather a soft consistence; cover it over with a cloth, and place it in a warm place to rise, and, when light and nicely risen, divide the dough into pieces, and round them to the proper shape with the hands; place them, in a layer of flour about two inches thick, on wooden trays, and let them rise again; when this is effected, they each will exhibit a semi-globular shape. Then place them carefully on a hot-plate or stove, and bake them until they are slightly browned, turning them when they are done on one side. Muffins are not easily made, and are more generally purchased than manufactured at home. To toast them, divide the edge of the muffin all round, by pulling it open, to the depth of about an inch, with the fingers. Put it on a toasting-fork, and hold it before a very clear fire until one side is nicely browned, but not burnt; turn, and toast it on the other. Do not toast them too quickly, as, if this is done, the middle of the muffin will not be warmed through. When done, divide them by pulling them open; butter them slightly on both sides, put them together again, and cut them into halves: when sufficient are toasted and buttered, pile them on a very hot dish, and send them very quickly to table.

Time.—From 20 minutes to 1/2 hour to bake them.

Sufficient.—Allow 1 muffin to each person.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
I like that people are allowed to be successful in the US.

I can't speak for other areas of the country, but in northern California, there doesn't seem to be much of that "old money" is the only stuff worth having bull-crap.
Agreed. I like this aspect too.

Though some would have you think that 'allowed' should be replaced with 'required' and anybody who isn't successful is a teat-sucking commie. Which may be true. And I guess many would be successful at that, which means that...
Old Dec 24th 2012, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Weeze
They are just awful - I prefer to have my 'crumpet' any day of the week over an English muffin...

besides, don't they know that 'muffin' is a felony? (As in 'Muffin the Mule', which technically is a capital offence...)
Old Dec 24th 2012, 9:54 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

"English muffins" are dreadful. Just edible cotton wool. They are an American invention imported to the UK by such as Marks and Spencer and are totally phony. They never existed in England 60 years ago, I was there !
Apart from Filet steaks and fish, American food is apalling and their supermarkets third rate. Just look at the average citizen riddled with diabetes and cardiac conditions. I'm now spending Xmas in Worthing, M&S and Waitrose and Morrisons are superb after Boston Shop and Drop etc.
American"friendliness" is usually phony. They live and breathe money and will screw you at any opportunity.
I like the US honesty over race though. Here in Boston segregation rules, East Roxbry and Matapan are black ghettos with almost total separation. In the UK the BBC purveys relentless propaganda designed to force the majority whites to integrate with the immigrant blacks and Browns plus of course the BBC obsession with homosexuality which is thrust on the normal folks at every opportunity.
US women by the way are almost totally sexless and are usually herpes ridden.
Oh I DO so hope you are taking the mickey........
Old Dec 24th 2012, 9:58 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Oh I DO so hope you are taking the mickey........
If not, one wonders what type of women he's come into contact with and where he picked them up
Old Dec 24th 2012, 9:59 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
If not, one wonders what type of women he's come into contact with and where he picked them up
and obviously it cost him something as well.............
Old Dec 24th 2012, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know the muffin man, the muffin man, the muffin man! Do you know the muffin man who lives in Drury Lane...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMOd8WADZZM
Old Dec 24th 2012, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

SirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud of

Apart from Filet steaks and fish, American food is apalling and their supermarkets third rate. Just look at the average citizen riddled with diabetes and cardiac conditions. I'm now spending Xmas in Worthing, M&S and Waitrose and Morrisons are superb after Boston Shop and Drop etc.
American"friendliness" is usually phony. They live and breathe money and will screw you at any opportunity.
I like the US honesty over race though. Here in Boston segregation rules, East Roxbry and Matapan are black ghettos with almost total separation. In the UK the BBC purveys relentless propaganda designed to force the majority whites to integrate with the immigrant blacks and Browns plus of course the BBC obsession with homosexuality which is thrust on the normal folks at every opportunity.
US women by the way are almost totally sexless and are usually herpes ridden.
Well, helloooo sailor...Obviously Santa's missing you out tonight - and you knew...someone has obviously defecated on your cornflakes

Old Dec 24th 2012, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

SirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cindyabs
and obviously it cost him something as well.............
If he's only come into 'contact' with the herpes-ridden, he must have been itching to post something
Old Dec 24th 2012, 10:55 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SirSteveUK
If he's only come into 'contact' with the herpes-ridden, he must have been itching to post something
How did they get herpes if they are sexless, anyway?
Old Dec 24th 2012, 10:56 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla
I say, well done on the magic eraser J-Train.
I can understand profanity slipping out in conversation but to take the effort of typing out the f-word on an internet forum in the hope that someone thinks it's cool or clever has always struck me as a bit sad.
Even sadder is typing out a profanity deliberately misspelt.
Glad to see someone is upholding standards.
Proper order, what ?
I haven't a clue what this knobhead said
Old Dec 24th 2012, 10:59 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I haven't a clue what this knobhead said
What he meant was "Happy Christmas, peace on earth, and goodwill towards men." He just has a little trouble expressing himself clearly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.