Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

reasons to move

reasons to move

Old Sep 16th 2004, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Nick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud of
Question reasons to move

Hi everyone

I`m interested in your reasons to move to the US. Why did you emmigrate to the US ?

- because my wife / hubby is american and lives there ?

- because my boss / company told me to work in the US ?

so this are rather "exogenous" reasons. But there must be some people who moved to the US because:

- I love the american way of life

- it is the land of the free

- weather is better than where I have been living before

- opportunities for my family / children are better in the US than in Europe

further I would like to know if you regret this step ?

For me the main reason to emmigrate to the USA is: the american way of life. the cars are bigger here in germany people are proud to have this VW Lupo an Mini, five people in this car then they safe little bit of gas and are proud of enviromental protection. they are all brain washed by the green party impossible.

and the better job market. here in Germany it is almost impossible to find a job after the universitiy degree.

so this are my reasons, what about yours?
Old Sep 16th 2004, 2:28 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: reasons to move

[QUOTE=Nick01]
$5.75 minimum wage after outsourcing

Say's who?

Ivan/Francis/Charley in the south - 5ft of snow in the North, some choice.

1 in 6 don't have healthcare.

the grass is no greener my friend.

For me the main reason to emmigrate to the USA is: the american way of life. the cars are bigger
yes the cars are bigger.
whoop de do.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 3:05 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

undefined[QUOTE=Manc]
Originally Posted by Nick01
$5.75 minimum wage after outsourcing
( DONT FORGET LITTLE HOLIDAY PAY)
Say's who?
(ONLY IF YOU ARE A MINORITY)
Ivan/Francis/Charley in the south - 5ft of snow in the North, some choice.
(WEATHER IS NOT EVERYTHING)
1 in 6 don't have healthcare.
(BETTER EDUCATION? NOT)
the grass is no greener my friend.
(HOW TRUE)

For me the main reason to emmigrate to the USA is: the american way of life. the cars are bigger
yes the cars are bigger.
whoop de do.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 3:14 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

<<snip>>

For me the main reason to emmigrate to the USA is: the american way of life. the cars are bigger here in germany people are proud to have this VW Lupo an Mini, five people in this car then they safe little bit of gas and are proud of enviromental protection. they are all brain washed by the green party impossible.

and the better job market. here in Germany it is almost impossible to find a job after the universitiy degree.

so this are my reasons, what about yours?
You should do some research into what the American way of life is doing to Americans.

e.g. pollution and the effects on the residents and the environment
e.g. Homeland Security Administration and how it impacts on travel, opening a bank account, etc.
e.g. employment or lack of it for millions of Americans
e.g. "quality" of TV and other media
e.g. cost vs quality of food and the impact on the population's health
e.g. discrimination and lack of knowledge about other nations, ethnicities, religions and people who are not heterosexual. Particularly true about Black Americans, Latinos and Muslims.

Admiration or love of the "American way of life" will probably not be of practical help to you to move to the States nor cope with living in the country once you get here. Ignore this if you are at least a millionnaire.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

I moved because I met my husband here in the US.

I moved to the US rather than the other way round simply because I had just graduated from Uni (I got married pretty young - 22) and had no career/job to give up and my husband was more established as he is a couple of years older and I didn't want him to give up a job he loves (those are hard to find!!!)

I had no burning desire to move to the "land of the free" (actually felt far freer in Britain!!) but simply wanted to be with him.

I would be perfectly happy to move back to Britain, but am only apprehensive about this as my whole post-student adult life (a whole three years of it!) has been in the US. Plus we just closed on our first home last week, and I have a good job now - so I don't want to give those up.

I love Britain and now love the US, but I certainly didn't move for the weather or the larger (??) cars!!!!
Old Sep 16th 2004, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved over because thats where the USC wife wanted to live. I've also got to admit, rip off Britiain pisses me off. I've lived all over Europe outside UK for the last 7 years, I don't feel like I have an attachment to the place anymore. Totally happy to be in the States, the only thing that irritates is the "geographical muppetness" and stupid religious inward looking hypocritical views of some Americans and racist black people who walk around with pretend limps, baggy trousers with attitude problems.

Apart from that, everything is great
Old Sep 16th 2004, 5:37 pm
jpr
Just Joined

jpr is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Dan725]I moved over because thats where the USC wife wanted to live. I've also got to admit, rip off Britiain pisses me off. I've lived all over Europe outside UK for the last 7 years, I don't feel like I have an attachment to the place anymore. Totally happy to be in the States, the only thing that irritates is the "geographical muppetness" and stupid religious inward looking hypocritical views of some Americans and racist black people who walk around with pretend limps, baggy trousers with attitude problems.

I also moved over here for the same reasons as Dan725 and agree with his opinions. But I really miss everything about England except crime rate, litter etc. But that comes with with the territory I guess. Also as am starting to agree with 'Manc's' postings ! As a old 'un from Bolton that is worrying.
Does anyone know which states/cities here have the LEAST amount of churches and CC's (crazy christians) and Gord fearing population?
Old Sep 16th 2004, 5:42 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

I`m interested in your reasons to move to the US. Why did you emmigrate to the US ?

Nick How can you not be happy in Germany? I loved that place! And here's me makin' myself miserable in the states! After reading lots of these threads i'm begining to wonder if the majority of us Brits are just a bunch of miserable gits not happy wherever we land! Or maybe we've just got alotta Nomadic blood in us lol
Germany is a beautiful country (it's where i met my hubbywho later brought me kickin' and screamin' to the U.S) All those festivals, tons of Free outdoor family stuff to do all four seasons in the correct order not too hot summers so you can venture out and then snow an' fun in the winter and the people are great I don't know why people worry about the language barrier for me i had nothing but wonderful experiences! try to speak german and they are immediatley happy to practice their english (which was heaps better than my german by the way) oh and not too mention flights back to u.k are affordable and being surrounded by all those countries is exciting we drove to Prague just because, drive all those hours here in Tx and guess what you're still in TX!!! lol
Yeah the states can great but having the freedom to walk around worrying about being a family with no health insurance kinda sucks , one year we had the freedom to pay over $400 several days before xmas cos we had strep throat! British who complain about the N.H.S make me mad
Anyway health insurance or lack of aside i'm slowing down in my hurry to return to Britain cos after much contemplation i'm beginning to realize happiness depends on your outlook in life not your location!
Old Sep 16th 2004, 8:34 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

It's so hard to explain to someone what it's actually like to live in another culture and country. It's not what you expect it to be. I'm happy here and don't regret moving but I must say I've had a few surprises along the way. I can honestly say with my hand on my heart to any nurse wanting to come over because they think the NHS is crap....think again! Nothing can compare to the NHS and that safety of the NHS infrastructure. It's a very different set of rules out here and nursing, in my opinion, is far superior in England, despite money problems. Generally, I think I took for granted the unspoken decency of the British people, and that's not something that exists here. Not to say Americans aren't decent of course, it's just that there are no boundaries here and it really opens your eyes.

There are a million positives to balance the negatives and there's no final answer. It's different. My life is better because I moved here for love, and of course my standard of living is better. I have a new car, attend a fancy gym and can afford most of what I want, but I miss my family, British TV and food, and the English sense of humour. At the end of the day life is an adventure and there to be lived and experienced. I'm glad I came, but it's not what I thought it would be. I would say to anyone don't let your or anyone elses preconceived ideas put you off a chance of a lifetime. If you have the opportunity to emigrate...do it. You can always go back. Just don't expect to be the same person afterwards.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 8:53 pm
elf
Forum Regular

elf is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Rockgurl]It's so hard to explain to someone what it's actually like to live in another culture and country. It's not what you expect it to be. I'm happy here and don't regret moving but I must say I've had a few surprises along the way. I can honestly say with my hand on my heart to any nurse wanting to come over because they think the NHS is crap....think again! Nothing can compare to the NHS and that safety of the NHS infrastructure. a chance of a lifetime.

I am crossing the pond in 3 1/2 weeks to take up a clinical directors post which is far better than i ever hoped for after a lot of negotiation. I have spent today in really good meetings hoping my new job will be s good as my old one. my new employers seem so nice and pleased to have me.
I dont have any preconceived ideas about my job or life in the US, I just know in my heart this is what I want to do. If it all went wrong I can go back with a more extensive CV and know I gave it all a good try.

I loved the picture of your dog, mine died in January and I will give a home to a dog when we have settled in as I love the company.

Elf
Old Sep 16th 2004, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

I moved here cos I landed a kick ass job in a nice place (california).

Pros:
* perma-sunshine
* tonnes more money
* bigger place to live
* Everything is cheap, except insurance & housing
* Medical practise is FAR quicker *
* I'm happy and secure

Cons:
* perma-sunshines, sometimes I just want it to rain
* idiot drivers
* cars soo huge they cause localised earthquakes, then you see the lil ole granny in her H2... wtf?
* tipping - EVERYONE expects a tip, even when the service is shit
* TV is crap 99.9% of the time.

* my medical insurance is pretty darned good, compnay pays for the lot and there are no exceptions... so.. for me .. its great, and when I ring up for an appointment I normally get in within 2 days. Unlike in england where its normally 2 weeks.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 9:22 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
I moved here cos I landed a kick ass job in a nice place (california).

Pros:
* perma-sunshine
* tonnes more money
* bigger place to live
* Everything is cheap, except insurance & housing
* Medical practise is FAR quicker *
* I'm happy and secure

Cons:
* perma-sunshines, sometimes I just want it to rain
* idiot drivers
* cars soo huge they cause localised earthquakes, then you see the lil ole granny in her H2... wtf?
* tipping - EVERYONE expects a tip, even when the service is shit
* TV is crap 99.9% of the time.

* my medical insurance is pretty darned good, compnay pays for the lot and there are no exceptions... so.. for me .. its great, and when I ring up for an appointment I normally get in within 2 days. Unlike in england where its normally 2 weeks.
If you got a lot better job / benefits opportunity in the UK, would you move back?
Old Sep 16th 2004, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
If you got a lot better job / benefits opportunity in the UK, would you move back?
yes but sadly that aint gonna happen any time soon as the industry I work in has recently imploded as far as the UK is concerned... maybe in 5/10 years.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 9:28 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by USBound
yes but sadly that aint gonna happen any time soon as the industry I work in has recently imploded as far as the UK is concerned... maybe in 5/10 years.
that's fair enough, I'd move to Darfur though if the conditions made it worthwhile.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 9:53 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Because the plugs hurt less when you stand on them........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.