British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Reasonable homeowners policy without trampoline exclusion? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/reasonable-homeowners-policy-without-trampoline-exclusion-699619/)

Dougster75 Jan 7th 2011 3:47 pm

Reasonable homeowners policy without trampoline exclusion?

Hi,

We bought a trampoline last year and have been meaning to call the company to see if I could pay an AP to have the exclusion removed.

Called GEICO today and advised I had a trampoline and wanted to remove the exclusion on the policy. She advised that it was excluded regardless and that ASI (insurance co.) would now be issuing a notice of cancellation since we are an ineligible risk.

I fail to see why they would cancel the policy because we had something that was excluded already. Much pointless arguing ensued with the clueless GEICO person. Utter nonsense to me but obviously concerned about replacing the coverage.

Anyone had this sort of issue before or has anyone managed to get the exclusion removed with any company?

Cheers,

Doug.

tonrob Jan 7th 2011 3:57 pm

Re: Reasonable homeowners policy without trampoline exclusion?

Not another bloody trampoline exclusion thread.....

Look, we get 15 of these a day (usually by lunchtime). Don't you people ever use the search function? :frown:

Mods - we need a sticky...

Dougster75 Jan 7th 2011 4:05 pm

Sorry for spoiling your day. I check the forum pretty regularly and honestly hadn't seen one.

Officer Dibble Jan 7th 2011 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9084370)
Not another bloody trampoline exclusion thread.....

Look, we get 15 of these a day (usually by lunchtime). Don't you people ever use the search function? :frown:

Mods - we need a sticky...

Trampoline exclusion policies?? Now Ive heard everything. :rofl:

ChocolateBabz Jan 7th 2011 4:08 pm

Hi Dougster75, long time no see - we have Farmers Insurance and called them to tell them we had a trampoline, they took a note of it and said no problem.

Dougster75 Jan 7th 2011 4:21 pm

Thanks chocolatebabz - that's helpful. Hopefully do a meet up soon.

Tonrob - I did check the search function and could not find any of the 15 daily trampoline exclusion threads so presume I'm doing something wrong. No doubt you will tell me though.

MrSensical Jan 7th 2011 4:31 pm

Maybe you'd have better luck if you called them in the spring

:eek:

Yorkieabroad Jan 7th 2011 5:20 pm

Huh - never thought of telling the insurance company about a trampoline....kind of moot now since ours blew away - twice - taking the fence with it each time! Dangerous things!! After the second blowoff, (even though it was double staked into the ground) it was so badly bent I had to get rid of it.

We got Twister for Christmas - do you think I should I tell them about that;)

Bill_S Jan 7th 2011 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dougster75 (Post 9084386)
Sorry for spoiling your day. I check the forum pretty regularly and honestly hadn't seen one.

I think Tonrob was taking the piss, mate. I've been following BE for years and I've never seen a trampoline thread... I wish you luck getting the insurance sorted.

I think I'll pat myself on the back for "getting" a bit of British humo(u)r.

Bill_S Jan 7th 2011 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by MrSensical (Post 9084449)
Maybe you'd have better luck if you called them in the spring

:eek:

:ohmy:

tonrob Jan 7th 2011 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 9084588)
I think I'll pat myself on the back for "getting" a bit of British humo(u)r.

;)

NatashaB Jan 7th 2011 6:32 pm

This is new to me, do homeowners policies refuse to cover you if you have a trampoline? I will have to check our policy :(

Dougster75 Jan 7th 2011 8:54 pm

:o Man - I have been in the US too long. My apologies tonrob - hungover today and obviously cloth-headed... I've been told off for not searching before so am clearly over-sensitive.

In all seriousness, if you don't have a trampoline exclusion in your policy then personally, I wouldn't trouble your insurance company by telling them about it (if they didn't ask). Ignorance is bliss. I have a specific exclusion in my policy that I needed removing and so had to call. I guess I wait for the notice of cancellation and then try elsewhere - it seems some companies are more worried about them than others.

Thanks all. Sorry again.

tonrob Jan 7th 2011 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Dougster75 (Post 9084947)
:o Man - I have been in the US too long. My apologies tonrob - hungover today and obviously cloth-headed... I've been told off for not searching before so am clearly over-sensitive.

In all seriousness, if you don't have a trampoline exclusion in your policy then personally, I wouldn't trouble your insurance company by telling them about it (if they didn't ask). Ignorance is bliss. I have a specific exclusion in my policy that I needed removing and so had to call. I guess I wait for the notice of cancellation and then try elsewhere - it seems some companies are more worried about them than others.

Thanks all. Sorry again.

Tell me about it. I've been trying to find an insurance policy with hedgehog juggling cover for years - I've practically given up. :(

Dougster75 Jan 7th 2011 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9084961)
Tell me about it. I've been trying to find an insurance policy with hedgehog juggling cover for years - I've practically given up. :(

:rolleyes: