Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is this really, that terrible compared to UK?

Is this really, that terrible compared to UK?

Old Feb 4th 2011, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is this really, that terrible compared to UK?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Since you ask, I think they should if they're able. If they aren't able, they should provide their own chair... after all, it's not the company's fault she's preggers.

Ian
Do you think they would ALLOW her to bring her own chair ? lol

I think what can be possibly managed in early pregnancy,is not so easy to do later on ...well I know that actually !

The reason this interests me ,is so many women have to continue working during the whole 9 months ,surely employers have to make provision for these ladies ???
Old Feb 4th 2011, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Since you ask, I think they should if they're able. If they aren't able, they should provide their own chair... after all, it's not the company's fault she's preggers.

Ian
Well said that man, it's pregnancy not a illness!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 2:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Ian
So companies shouldn't employ disabled people? Because it's not their fault the person doesn't have a leg?
Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by traceym
Well said that man, it's pregnancy not a illness!
indeed...??????

Are you joking
Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
indeed...??????

Are you joking
No
Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

No
Ok,I will take it that you HAVE been pregnant ? if so, that you were not plagued by any typical/extra ailments AT ALL the entire 9 months !!!!!

It is not the case for all women .
Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Ok,I will take it that you HAVE been pregnant ? if so, that you were not plagued by any typical/extra ailments AT ALL the entire 9 months !!!!!

No I'm making it up as I go along and my 3 kids were dropped under the gooseberry bush by the stork!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

No I'm making it up as I go along and my 3 kids were dropped under the gooseberry bush by the stork!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 4:28 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Well thats the easy way to have them why didn't I think to do that.
I was transferring unconscious patients and assisting in Surgery until one week before Ds was born, (he came three weeks early) with the second I could hardly keep my eyes open more than an hour at a time. Between that and worshiping the porcelain throne a lot I was pretty useless for about 8months straight.
Not everyone is healthy while pregnant, you never know the cards you'll be dealt.
Sitting on a chair is the least that can be done and you know people do the least for their employees it seems.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Well thats the easy way to have them why didn't I think to do that.
I was transferring unconscious patients and assisting in Surgery until one week before Ds was born, (he came three weeks early) with the second I could hardly keep my eyes open more than an hour at a time. Between that and worshiping the porcelain throne a lot I was pretty useless for about 8months straight.
Not everyone is healthy while pregnant, you never know the cards you'll be dealt.
Sitting on a chair is the least that can be done and you know people do the least for their employees it seems.
Exactly but you were there doing it (feeling like crap or not,) big difference PS, can I come out of the norty corner yet
Old Feb 4th 2011, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Wow ,just wow .

This( I guess) explains a lot
Old Feb 4th 2011, 11:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not all women do...I didn't have any problems...no sickness...no backache...I didn't even have any stretch marks.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Not all women do...I didn't have any problems...no sickness...no backache...I didn't even have any stretch marks.
Cool ..and because I gave birth to 3, 9 pound babies without ANY pain relief ,should Doctors stop catering and offering it to women that DO want/ need it ?

After all ...I did it

I don't think it is kind, nor beneficial( to the sisterhood )to brag about what works for one individual in the workplace.

Needs will always be different ,employers need to be aware and listen .
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
So companies shouldn't employ disabled people?
In the US, at least, the law says a company must make reasonable accommodation - but that'd depend on the job, and the definition of "reasonable". That said, pregnancy isn't a disability as defined by the ADA. Further, as opposed to someone without a leg, pregnancy is usually a personal choice.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Feb 4th 2011 at 12:54 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 1:49 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

*sigh* you Brits are such nice people in your own country (at least the one I've met) . Do you undergo some sort of a sea change when you cross the pond over to our side I'm amazed at how you lot nitpick about every little thing in your host country even about if checkout clerks should do their jobs standing or seated Mind boggling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.