Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is this really, that terrible compared to UK?

Is this really, that terrible compared to UK?

Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this really, that terrible compared to UK?

Originally Posted by Desdemona
Depends on which state you live in really. The different states can make individual amendments to the gun laws. That's the way to go if you want to change anything.
So if California wanted to ban guns that would be legal??

Let's at least be realistic here: the ability of states to enact their own gun laws is pretty darned circumscribed at this point.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:00 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe

Let's at least be realistic here: the ability of states to enact their own gun laws is pretty darned circumscribed at this point.
Indeed it is, which is why many nutjobs are pushing for nullification.

Here is a list of nullification efforts from 2010, and it looks as though IA is the first out of the trap in 2011.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:07 pm

Isabel_7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by airways
I have not told anyone what to do, nor have I lectured anyone so don't give me that crap. I have lived and worked all over the world so have a perspective on overseas living.

Jesus Christ, do you think because I have not moved yet it does not give me a right to express an opinion? Especially an opinion about the UK. If their life is that bad in the US why don't they bog off elsewhere instead of winging about it?

This forum is polarized into people who love the USA and this who have not had a good time. Unfortunately the balance of posting is from those who had a bad time winging about it and trying to convince others it's all crap and they should leave or not even bother making the move.

For years I wondered why my kiwi friend who moved to the UK referred to us as winging poms. God do I know now.

Life is what you make of it.
Well said!
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:35 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe

I don't know if you could "ban guns" per se. The right to bear arms is still a constitutional right. But you could move to have limits put on the types of weapons; for instance assault weapons or even feasibly hand guns.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if you could "ban guns" per se. The right to bear arms is still a constitutional right. But you could move to have limits put on the types of weapons; for instance assault weapons or even feasibly hand guns.
Good luck on that with this Supreme Court.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isabel_7
Well said!
OK so the thread is asking people for comparisons between the 2 countries, how accurate are the perceptions of someone who hasn't moved yet?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airways
I have not told anyone what to do, nor have I lectured anyone so don't give me that crap. I have lived and worked all over the world so have a perspective on overseas living.

Jesus Christ, do you think because I have not moved yet it does not give me a right to express an opinion? Especially an opinion about the UK. If their life is that bad in the US why don't they bog off elsewhere instead of winging about it?

This forum is polarized into people who love the USA and this who have not had a good time. Unfortunately the balance of posting is from those who had a bad time winging about it and trying to convince others it's all crap and they should leave or not even bother making the move.

For years I wondered why my kiwi friend who moved to the UK referred to us as winging poms. God do I know now.

Life is what you make of it.

You could try be a little more understanding and calm down a wee bit. Some aren't in the US by choice...they are trapped. Some find themselves having to choose between their marriage/children or the UK. Many of our members have fallen in love with an American or have moved because of their spouse's job and cannot just upsticks and return. Some are really struggling financially to keep their heads above water.

I recommend you read some of the heartbreaking posts in the MBTTUK forum. People who have been so unhappy in their adopted country that they have returned to the UK leaving their spouses and sometimes their children/grandchildren behind.

We moved here because of my husband's job. We had a good life in the UK and we moved to a good life in the US...but that didn't prevent homesickness. The only thing that kept me here was by husband's attitude...he said I only had to say the word and we would be on the next flight back to the UK. Knowing that I had that option gave me something to cling onto...many do not have that option. We have homes in the UK/US/Canada...I am lucky I can come and go as I please...many cannot.

What is the saying..."walk a mile in a man's shoes before you judge them".

Edit: Please remember that there are hundreds of thousands of Brits who move to other countries and love their new life. Most of them are out enjoying themselves and are not posting on internet forums. Most of our membership are people who don't fit into that category. We come on here so we can have a good moan and share a laugh with fellow Brits...we have long before you joined and will continue to do so long after you have left.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 25th 2011 at 5:00 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:44 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt anyone is out looking to ban them as such, and you can interperet the constitution any way you want to suit your needs can't you? Since when does it actually mention guns at all? It's fair enough to allow the purchase of them and I can see that having a shot gun for clay pigeon shooting is one thing but do you really need an AR-15 for hunting???

Have guns if you want but don't try to justify that with any reason other than you think they're cool. If having a 9mm under your pillow helps you sleep at night, all well and good. Won't do you f**k all good if the assailant knifes you in your sleep though, will it . . . ?

To use free speech as an example, we all have the right to it but that doesn't mean people shouldn't also shut up once in a while

And yes, that includes me. As you were
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:47 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Quality of life indexes are interesting ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality-of-life_index

This was 2005 and not particularly surprising for 2005. I couldn't find a more recent (straightforward) list but apparently France is at the top now. I'd like to see how the list has changed since the recession.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:54 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Quality of life indexes are interesting ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality-of-life_index

This was 2005 and not particularly surprising for 2005. I couldn't find a more recent (straightforward) list but apparently France is at the top now. I'd like to see how the list has changed since the recession.
these kind of surveys come out all the time and I generally view most of them with some scepticsm. Here's one that came out this week that uses many of the same criteria:

http://www.prosperity.com/rankings.aspx
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:00 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Without being presumptuous, perhaps you don't fully understand the meaning of the word "rights". Rights must never be abridged. Full stop. End of story.
Like those 4th Amendment rights that were deemed inconvenient for Japanese Americans during WW2?

All this talk of rights sounds great, but when the shit hits the fans they mean nothing.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:02 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

To sum up my views of the US/UK comparison: I would say they are both shite in their own special way.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
Like those 4th Amendment rights that were deemed inconvenient for Japanese Americans during WW2?

All this talk of rights sounds great, but when the shit hits the fans they mean nothing.
Good point, I recently had the pleasure to meet 2 sisters who were interned during WW2, it certainly makes you think.

Originally Posted by zargof
To sum up my views of the US/UK comparison: I would say they are both shite in their own special way.
That sounds about right.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:09 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
these kind of surveys come out all the time and I generally view most of them with some scepticsm. Here's one that came out this week that uses many of the same criteria:

http://www.prosperity.com/rankings.aspx

I agree - they're not really scientific but they do tend to confirm each other in a general way.

I was thinking about the polarity on BE between those that are happy here and those that are not. The reasons are vast but IMO most often personal in nature. I think that if the OP is looking for subjective information the lists are an interesting read. Also, they are pretty consistent in showing that America isn't the greatest country in the world but rather just a decent place to try to make a life.

Some things the OP may want to ask themselves is how do they feel about their place in the world? Is fitting in important? Or do they enjoy being different? How important are long established and/or familial relationships to them?

I am constantly meeting immigrants (from all over the world but quite a few of them are European) that are extremely happy here. I think those types of conversations are more likely to happen IRL. Then I come on here and hear about a lot of unhappy folks and I've come to realize that those are the conversations more likely to happen online.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

We come on here so we can have a good moan and share a laugh with fellow Brits...we have long before you joined and will continue to do so long after you have left.
That I think sadly is the crux of it. This forum is unfortunately more of a private club than anything. If you dare to have an opinion or do not appear to be sympathetic to members of the clique then you are 'welcomed' to move on.

To many of the responses on here are tainted by the personal circumstances of some of the posters. A real shame as there is so much potential to share.

Put it like this. I don't care if people have guns or not, I don't care if they are bored or lonely or can't afford health care and I don't care to be bullied into agreeing with them. I reserve the right to bash the British and the UK unreservedly. I am British and thats my right. I have no intention of bashing the rules, laws or customs of another nation as that is not my right. That does not make me ant social, anti american, anti british or anti anything for that matter. I am entitled to have my own opinions. I have not tried to change anyones view to match my own, I have merely used the right to free speech to express my opinion.

Sorry if I am not some soppy kiss ass but that's life. If I wanted to walk in someone else's shoes and understand how tough life is for them I would become a counsellor.

I also don't appreciate having segments of my posts highlighted and taken out of context to make a point or an argument. When I write something I expect the whole post to be taking in context.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.