Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is this really, that terrible compared to UK?

Is this really, that terrible compared to UK?

Old Jan 24th 2011, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Rougesvp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is this really, that terrible compared to UK?

I've skip read thru many of the posts on this thread...

I've been here going on 5yrs. I have medical insurance, even with that some treatments cost an arm and a leg. A single puncture wound from a dog bite, which was irrigated and one stitch put it, cost me $1800... I would have had change out of a round-trip air ticket going home to use the NHS!!!

I still pay NI as I have property at home (UK).

My line of works involves death scenes; when I go to a suicide and the note basically states the person has taken their life because they cannot afford the meds and/or healthcare... the system clearly does not work!

As for UK or US.... if I roughly do the maths, I'm sure the US is more expensive! My poll tax on a 4 bed detached in Bath was 2000GBP. Here on a4bed detached near Dallas, TX its $12k.... And thats just for starters... fortunately I don't own a red car... that's a whole other story!

All that said.... the sun is out!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I think the American view is that nothing bad can happen to you if you work hard and behave yourself. Therefore if something bad happens to you, it is your own fault and a failure on your part. It is the total opposite of Hindu philosophy where things are 'written' and not your fault. It can lead to what I find a rather harsh view of how society should be run, but if you buy into it, you just have to keep believing that you won't be one of the unlucky ones. And maybe you won't.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Jan 24th 2011 at 3:45 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:33 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rougesvp
the note basically states the person has taken their life because they cannot afford the meds and/or healthcare... the system clearly does not work!
I don't see anyone here saying the system worked It's flawed like any system anywhere in the world. No one claimed it was perfect. The dems have been pushing for healthcare reform for years. At last we have a foot in the door now and I am fairly confident that some form of universal healthcare will be fully implemented by the year 2014. Sorry to hear you expats winging about conditions here. Most of you have the luxury of dual citizenship if you are citizens already. So what's the gripe
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desdemona
I Sorry to hear you expats winging about conditions here. Most of you have the luxury of dual citizenship if you are citizens already. So what's the gripe
I don't think it's winging to point out that a major negative about living in the US is its truly asinine system of health care access. Nor would I presume that when the dust settles, we'll have anything approaching universal coverage here. After all, Obama's is just the latest attempt in a sorry litany of failed attempts, and many vested interests will do everything in their power over the next few years to undermine it.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nethead
I'm with the, it's ok living here, we're getting on with it, some things are better, some are worse, some are about the same. But I wish we hadn't bothered moving here in the first place.
Just curious, why did you move there in the first place?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Deeks
Just curious, why did you move there in the first place?
Because Brits need something to complain about all the time. We almost rival the Canadians in that respect.......
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airways
Because Brits need something to complain about all the time. We almost rival the Canadians in that respect.......
Says the person living in the UK
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desdemona
I don't see anyone here saying the system worked It's flawed like any system anywhere in the world. No one claimed it was perfect. The dems have been pushing for healthcare reform for years. At last we have a foot in the door now and I am fairly confident that some form of universal healthcare will be fully implemented by the year 2014. Sorry to hear you expats winging about conditions here. Most of you have the luxury of dual citizenship if you are citizens already. So what's the gripe
I've read every post on this discussion and was mentally making a list of the reasons I would add in my post as to why, after 10 years of living in the USA I wanted to leave...... And then I read your post! Now I've decided that it would be a complete waste of my time to outline all my different reasons for leaving because your post sums it up beautifully. Your "I'm alright Jack" attitude is the thing I most despise about this country .
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Beachgal: I think you have something there....

Anyone coming here, must be very aware that you are "on your own".

Predominantly, everyone is out to make a "fast buck", new arrivals are fair game!

Here in TX, if you want something doing; well, honestly and in a timely fashion; get someone who's and expat from another Nation not too far away. They're realistic with their prices and want to work!

It took me a while to appreciate the points above.... now I know the score, it's all good!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:15 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I don't think it's winging to point out that a major negative about living in the US is its truly asinine system of health care access. Nor would I presume that when the dust settles, we'll have anything approaching universal coverage here. After all, Obama's is just the latest attempt in a sorry litany of failed attempts, and many vested interests will do everything in their power over the next few years to undermine it.
I don't doubt that for a minute. It will be interesting to see how things play out. The Chris Matthews show had some interesting commets on that. They think the Republicans (and some dems) are now leaning towards compromise. Only time will tell.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by beachgal21
I've read every post on this discussion and was mentally making a list of the reasons I would add in my post as to why, after 10 years of living in the USA I wanted to leave...... And then I read your post! Now I've decided that it would be a complete waste of my time to outline all my different reasons for leaving because your post sums it up beautifully. Your "I'm alright Jack" attitude is the thing I most despise about this country .
Seriously, I'm not happy about what's going on in this country right now any more than you are. But we live in hope that things will get better. And I do understand why people like you may want to leave. My comment was not meant to squash anyone's point of view
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:25 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Everyone makes their own choices, but based on my experience..I am going back to the UK. I thought I had it all figured out too, boy was I wrong...good luck ..
Enjoy yourself. I saw how my mother was treated by the NHS hospital and nursing home care in the UK and how much she had to pay for it. Treated like shit and charged her life savings for the privilege. Medical care was an alien term to them.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

To avoid the above here buy Long Term Care Insurance!!!

And before you ask, no I'm no an Insurance Agent!

My Policy is with Genworth... part of GE.

Peace, out!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Says the person living in the UK
Yep, that's why I know it's true. The British are a nation of complainers. We start with the weather and keep going!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:49 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Moving to the US from another first world country and expecting a vast improvement could be folly. People from second and third world countries may have a different experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.