Reload this Page >

really need help - uk tax return and uk us tax treaty

really need help - uk tax return and uk us tax treaty

Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

kitmcf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default really need help - uk tax return and uk us tax treaty

am doing my first uk tax return

am part of the uk us tax treaty making me exempt to taxes here in the US (article 20 - im a teacher)

The uk tax form is confusing me, when I attempt my calculation it asks me about tax relief but says it was unable to work it out for me, then tells me I owe nothing...my only fear is the first time I did this it flashed up I owed a lot of money on my us income - I dont know why it has changed or what I should be doing or expecting with regards to my overseas income.

No one I speak to at the tax office seems to know.

please help!
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 12:39 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: really need help - uk tax return and uk us tax treaty

What was your job in the UK? Were you self employed? Most people in the UK don't have to file tax returns because it's paid via your paycheck as you go along.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 12:54 am
Just Joined

it is because i am also now a Landlord that I am filing.

I teach.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 12:55 am
Just Joined

I should add I am delcaring my USA income on the UK tax form.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 5:49 am
Just Joined

armstrongsoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kitmcf
am doing my first uk tax return

am part of the uk us tax treaty making me exempt to taxes here in the US (article 20 - im a teacher)

The uk tax form is confusing me, when I attempt my calculation it asks me about tax relief but says it was unable to work it out for me, then tells me I owe nothing...my only fear is the first time I did this it flashed up I owed a lot of money on my us income - I dont know why it has changed or what I should be doing or expecting with regards to my overseas income.

No one I speak to at the tax office seems to know.

please help!
Don't forget to look into whether you are eligible for Foreign Earned Income Exclusion on your US income tax.

Last edited by meauxna; Feb 1st 2010 at 7:28 am.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kitmcf
I should add I am delcaring my USA income on the UK tax form.
In your situation, (living and working in the USA with UK rental income) declare your UK income (earned and non-earned) on your UK tax return. Do not declare your USA income on the UK return.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
In your situation, (living and working in the USA with UK rental income) declare your UK income (earned and non-earned) on your UK tax return. Do not declare your USA income on the UK return.
Why not? I already did but it didn't tax me on it.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
If the OP is claiming the treaty benefits under article 20A, he would declare his US income on the US tax return and attach form 8833 showing no tax due on the teacher salary.

For the UK, it's likely that HMRC will consider the OP non-resident in the UK. In that case the income is probably not taxable in the UK.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter Newton
If the OP is claiming the treaty benefits under article 20A, he would declare his US income on the US tax return and attach form 8833 showing no tax due on the teacher salary.

For the UK, it's likely that HMRC will consider the OP non-resident in the UK. In that case the income is probably not taxable in the UK.