Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it really impossible to relocate as a qualified teacher?

Is it really impossible to relocate as a qualified teacher?

Old Aug 15th 2019, 4:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it really impossible to relocate as a qualified teacher?

Originally Posted by Kimvelvet
Hi
thank you for all of your replies. My intention is to get my masters done next couple of years here in the UK. Most likely be looking at Florida/ a state close by.
TBH i think you are flogging a dead horse Even if you could get a visa your husband couldn’t work. You would be living hand to mouth and believe me you would not want to live like that in the US
Old Aug 15th 2019, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

What does your husband do? It might be easier to go via a Visa with him, such as an L Visa and then work as a Teacher after arrival? Depending on what he does there may be a path straight to Green Cards - employer dependent usually.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Kimvelvet is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband is a warehouse manager for a bespoke chandelier company that works with Mirano glass. I dont think theres much chance of moving through his employment despite the company branching out into the us a couple of years ago it isnt big enough over there yet for him to transfer over.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So your Husband is ready to retire?
Old Aug 15th 2019, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

No...some of the stuff I've looked at on US embassy suggested it was possible to get sponsored off the bat for a greencard. Which from what I've read would enable him to seek employment.

I am aware with the h1b this is not the case as I have looked into this extensively. I assume at this point the EAD law has come into force and therefore he cannot apply for that anymore.

Old Aug 15th 2019, 5:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose a School could sponsor somebody for a GC but I have not seen that happen, and as has been mentioned it is not likely to be somewhere you would want to move to.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 5:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I suppose a School could sponsor somebody for a GC but I have not seen that happen, and as has been mentioned it is not likely to be somewhere you would want to move to.
IMO only a private school would pay for any type of sponsorship and as I’ve already said...the pay is very poor. Some are on yearly contracts...so if the wealthy parents don’t like you...you are out. Also if on contract...no health insurance.

It is generally looked as a privilege to teach at a private school...thus the crap pay.
Old Aug 16th 2019, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

I am aware with the h1b this is not the case as I have looked into this extensively. I assume at this point the EAD law has come into force and therefore he cannot apply for that anymore.
The only time H-4s can apply for an EAD is if the H-1B holder has an approved I-140 green card petition and they are waiting for their priority date to come up (link). So even absent a final ruling on the current legal fracas, this won't help you.
Old Aug 16th 2019, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

No...some of the stuff I've looked at on US embassy suggested it was possible to get sponsored off the bat for a greencard.
That's because it is, however in practice no company is going to do this since you can just turn around and walk away from them right after you get your Green Card.
Old Aug 16th 2019, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

I would have thought it sensible to have a contract in place to prevent that happening.
Old Aug 16th 2019, 1:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I would have thought it sensible to have a contract in place to prevent that happening.
Please quote the post you are replying to, otherwise we have no idea what or who you are replying to.
Old Aug 16th 2019, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Washahore is an unknown quantity at this point

As the previous poster stated, no company in reality would ever spend thousands of $$$ sponsoring you for a green card when you could immediately go and work anywhere else- contract or no contract. And for the first few years of teaching, contracts are flimsy and year to year until you reach tenure.
I think you should look around and ask on a few expat forums. I think you’d soon realize that immigration into the US has always been difficult but since the Trump administration it has become a more difficult and even longer prospect. Unless you can come up with a visa route via your husband where you are also authorized to work also then I can’t see it ever happening.
Old Aug 16th 2019, 1:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Kimvelvet...the question you should be asking yourself is:

Why would any school spend thousands of dollars, wait for over a year, possibly much longer to employ you?

The answer is:

They will not.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 17th 2019 at 12:20 am. Reason: Incorrect info
Old Aug 17th 2019, 12:16 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Kimvelvet...the question you should be asking yourself is:

Why would any school spend thousands of dollars, wait for over a year, possibly much longer to employ you when there are tens of thousands of teachers out of work, who can begin work immediately, right here in the US?

The answer is:

They will not.
Many school districts are actually unable to fill positions. That doesn’t change the facts that:
- getting visa / green card will be difficult
- pathway that involves partner working within a reasonable timeframe - even more difficult if not impossible
- teaching is often a low paid, thankless profession in the US which takes us full circle, but still without easy visa options
Old Aug 17th 2019, 12:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

Many school districts are actually unable to fill positions. That doesn’t change the facts that:
- getting visa / green card will be difficult
- pathway that involves partner working within a reasonable timeframe - even more difficult if not impossible
- teaching is often a low paid, thankless profession in the US which takes us full circle, but still without easy visa options
I heard that earlier. Came to delete that bit out of my post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.