Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it really impossible to relocate as a qualified teacher?

Is it really impossible to relocate as a qualified teacher?

Old Aug 14th 2019, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Kimvelvet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it really impossible to relocate as a qualified teacher?

I'm just looking for anyone who may have managed this without having to marry someone from the US as I'm already happily married. So this would be on a work visa. I understand basically impossible for state schools so I dont need to be told that repeatedly. I have looked at private schools and this seems to be a possibility particularly the international schools.

I have QTS and ever since I was in high school ( around 15 years ago) have dreamed of moving to the US, it just feels like home.

I'm really keen to pursue this dream and understand the difficulties. I'm really looking to see if anyone has managed it as I'm prepared to put in as much time/money as it takes to make this a reality.

Thanks for any help/experience/advice.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 9:17 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it really impossible to relocate as a qualified teacher?

It is not impossible for state schools, but it is rare. The following article talks about some who came to New Mexico. Most of these came on J-1 visas - not a great idea as you can read in the text. You would most likely want an H-1B. A key thing to note from this article is that NM schools are hiring mostly from the Philippines and India because NM salaries look good to them. They would not look good to you. Not mentioned in the article is that NM also hires a small number from Spain, largely because of the historical cultural connections. Good luck.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1233198/f...y-nm-jobs.html
Old Aug 14th 2019, 9:40 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
It is not impossible for state schools, but it is rare. The following article talks about some who came to New Mexico. Most of these came on J-1 visas - not a great idea as you can read in the text. You would most likely want an H-1B. A key thing to note from this article is that NM schools are hiring mostly from the Philippines and India because NM salaries look good to them. They would not look good to you. Not mentioned in the article is that NM also hires a small number from Spain, largely because of the historical cultural connections. Good luck.
H
https://www.abqjournal.com/1233198/f...y-nm-jobs.html
And the OP should understand that, on an H-1B, her OH must settle for a derivative dependent visa, which will not permit him to work, or be sponsored independently for his own H-1B.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 10:16 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kimvelvet
I'm really keen to pursue this dream and understand the difficulties. I'm really looking to see if anyone has managed it as I'm prepared to put in as much time/money as it takes to make this a reality.

Thanks for any help/experience/advice.
I came via an L1a, so can’t help on the teacher front. Probably not viable on a teachers salary, but if you are independently wealthy for $900k-$1.8m plus some lawyers fees you can effectively buy a green card and that will let you work in most non government jobs.

Last edited by tht; Aug 14th 2019 at 10:18 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tht

I came via an L1a, so can’t help on the teacher front. Probably not viable on a teachers salary, but if you are independently wealthy for $900k-$1.8m plus some lawyers fees you can effectively buy a green card and that will let you work in most non government jobs.
Agrree, with money not an issue that would be the obvious way, and then you can work wherever you want to.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 10:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The 2 private schools my daughter attended seemed to love British teachers. As others have said...your husband would not be able to work...not even remotely.

Edit: the salaries for private schools were abysmal.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 15th 2019 at 12:08 am.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

That really is indentured servitude.

Old Aug 15th 2019, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I would contact the State of Alaska. They have many schools in remote areas that serve the native population. I am thinking some positions may be hard to fill but salary should be good and it would get your foot in the door and provide a source of references for work in other states.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 3:53 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
That really is indentured servitude.
Yeah, worse than I had thought. The ongoing fees and percentages are unjustifiable.

So, for the OP, short of getting directly sponsored for a green card off the bat, it’s going to be very hard to find an ideal situation that both gets her here and allows her partner to work.

Teacher salaries are highly variable around the country, but can IMO be generalized as not very good. I assume that the private schools would be somewhat better?
Old Aug 15th 2019, 9:43 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

Yeah, worse than I had thought. The ongoing fees and percentages are unjustifiable.

So, for the OP, short of getting directly sponsored for a green card off the bat, it’s going to be very hard to find an ideal situation that both gets her here and allows her partner to work.

Teacher salaries are highly variable around the country, but can IMO be generalized as not very good. I assume that the private schools would be somewhat better?
Probablt explains why a lot of Americans have no idea there are other countries, or where they are on a map, some can't even indicate where the USA is on a world map, with lots of them plumping for South America or Africa.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm told private schools actually tend to pay worse.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fbf2006
I'm told private schools actually tend to pay worse.
Also my understanding.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Washahore is an unknown quantity at this point

I’ve heard that private schools pay worse also!
Teaching salaries vary widely from state to state, as do the number of vacancies.
I’m a qualified, experienced UK teacher who moved here on a spouse visa with my husband, now has a GC and I’m in the process of getting certified in my state. It costs money to do prep courses, then more money to take the exams and get my qualifications evaluated. And if I then get my license I’ll have to do a masters within 5 years or otherwise I won’t be able to renew my license! It costs a lot!
On top of this, in my state, jobs are few and far between as people literally stay in the same job from graduation to retirement!
I couldn’t imagine many places paying thousands of $$ to get a visa for someone from the UK. As a pp stated, maybe only in a very rural area/state that struggles to get applicants, and even then it probably wouldn’t be a visa with an easy path to a GC, or even somewhere you’d want to live!
Old Aug 15th 2019, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Kimvelvet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
thank you for all of your replies. My intention is to get my masters done next couple of years here in the UK. Most likely be looking at Florida/ a state close by.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 4:11 pm
Account Closed

Florida is not renowned for its Education system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.