Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it really that hard to get to Florida to live

Wikiposts

Is it really that hard to get to Florida to live

Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:13 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it really that hard to get to Florida to live

Yes.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What's the missus do?

From what you've said, doesn't sound like much chance...get more money and invest in a business, but the E2 is a bit shite for family with kids....could also look for a Brit who owns a business on an E2 that is looking for a Brit to manage the business, but again, the E2 is a bit shit for someone with kids.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:14 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Europe is right outside your back door. Europe.
And, you know, Scotland, Wales and Ireland are too, and they can be pretty different from England. Not the weather, obviously, but if you live in SE England, it's a very different place.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
What make you think Florida is the perfect place for you ...
Yes, why do you think this Rick?
Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

It annoys me that anyone can come to the UK
That is total [email protected]led by papers like the Daily Mail.

If I'm wrong about that, I wish someone had told me before my girlfriend did an MA course costing thousands of £ just so she could come here to live with me followed by another £600 visa fee just to extend her visa for one more year.

I agree that UK immigration is not as strict as US, and you are a lot less likely to be deported, but it annoys me when people think it's just a walk in the park. I knew an American girl that wanted to come here to London, didnt want to study, so just came over and overstayed....she looked at all the options and there simply were not any that were realistic so. An American family similar to yours would find it just as hard to move to the UK.

Why not try Oz or NZ? I bet you'd have more chance with your skills....they are crying out for tradesmen over there.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we ought to add coming and waiting for Amnesty to the Wiki

November is not that far away and being realistic it looks like the Dems will have all 3 in their pocket.

I would think if you can get here and get out of status by 1/1/2009 you could well be good to go. That timeline could well extend.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I think we ought to add coming and waiting for Amnesty to the Wiki

November is not that far away and being realistic it looks like the Dems will have all 3 in their pocket.
I think you may a great point.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:13 am
Tony M1

Tony Mullaney has a spectacular aura aboutTony Mullaney has a spectacular aura aboutTony Mullaney has a spectacular aura about

There have been a few replies to this one already it seems that yo have struck a cord.

you will notice that everyone is trying to tell you how difficult it is and they are all correct it can be and especially coming from trade as yours, they don't even paint the same way over here or is that just Georgia.

You will need to find a company that has GB and USA links to stand a chance with you CV like Beezer homes ? Unless of course your wife is a Nurse or Teacher and that would change things so much, there are agencies that do all the hard work if this i sthe case.

I remember daydreaming about it in my twenties and never really thought it would happen we have been here 4 years now and i can tell you it is nothing like what you think it will be.... Except the SUN it really is great to wake and see the sun every morning.

The best of luck with it and don't give up.

Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tony Mullaney
There have been a few replies to this one already it seems that yo have struck a cord.

you will notice that everyone is trying to tell you how difficult it is and they are all correct it can be and especially coming from trade as yours, they don't even paint the same way over here or is that just Georgia.

You will need to find a company that has GB and USA links to stand a chance with you CV like Beezer homes ? Unless of course your wife is a Nurse or Teacher and that would change things so much, there are agencies that do all the hard work if this i sthe case.

I remember daydreaming about it in my twenties and never really thought it would happen we have been here 4 years now and i can tell you it is nothing like what you think it will be.... Except the SUN it really is great to wake and see the sun every morning.

The best of luck with it and don't give up.

I used to work for a Construction comapny that had a US House Building subsidiary.

Major contractors do employ Q/S's etc, not trade, and certainly not on the Home side.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Try somewhere else. Really, you are better off looking at somewhere in Europe or Australia or Canada. The US is not what you think....
Old Feb 12th 2008, 11:15 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You may think people are joking when they say "marry an American" but that really is the easiest way to get over here--and less difficult than many other routes.

You can buy your way in with an investors visa, but those are considered visas of last resort as they don't always work out and offer very few benefits to your family (such as kicking your kids out when they turn 21).

You can also hook up with a UK company that does business on both sides of the Atlantic, but in your trade it's far easier and cheaper to hire a bunch of Latin Americans (who dominated much of the building industry) than it is to send you over from the UK. (NOTE: You will probably need to learn Spanish if you want to work in the trades--well, it would help).

There are a few visas for skilled workers, but skilled workers means a four-year college degree / 12 years experience PLUS working in a trade of high demand, such as doctors, technology, university professors.

The basic idea is that if you are coming to the USA, you should be creating other jobs for other Americans, or developing a technology that employs Americans, not just taking a job from an American painter who could use the work.

Honestly, it's going to be rough.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 5:04 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the OP really knows where he wants to be.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259102
Old Feb 13th 2008, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
I don't think the OP really knows where he wants to be.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259102
To be fair, that was back in 2004....people are allowed to change their mind...
Old Feb 13th 2008, 5:13 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
To be fair, that was back in 2004....people are allowed to change their mind...
I'm always curious why people are so desperate to move to another country. I can understand one in particular, but when they have their minds on one then change it to another....I have to question why.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
I have to question why.
maybe they don't like the one they are in... the grass is always greener and all that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.