Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Was it really a good idea to move to here?

Was it really a good idea to move to here?

Old Mar 10th 2005, 9:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was it really a good idea to move to here?

Originally Posted by jjmb
So how long have you had your GC Calle? Don't you have to renew it very 10 yrs?
now you do, but old one's before the change weren't, but are now only good for 10 years...or somin' like that
Old Mar 10th 2005, 10:00 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
I haven't been here as long as some of you(nearly 2 years). But I have never once been homesick and the only time I see Americans any different to the people I interacted with in the UK, is when I come here and read these forums. Sure we have our differences, but I think some people just look for things to show how different we can be. I'm enjoying life more than ever, but it has nothing to do with where I live, what I drive, how much bigger my house is and how many friends I have. I've bumped into many Brits since living here and 99% of them just piss and moan about anything and everything.
Couldn't of said it better meself Pimpo, blue cube coming your way!
Old Mar 10th 2005, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by callë
November 1959.

Knew a Brit who'd lived in S.A. for over two decades, but she'd lived here first and had a GC. The family decided to come and live here in the mid 90's, and she just walked down to the SS office, got a card with her old number, and a new GC arrived at her door. Even though she hadn't lived here for two decades, they just gave it back to her.

But this was in the mid 90's, when you could walk off a plane and walk into the SS and get a number even as a tourist!
Old Mar 11th 2005, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Warning: you could lose PR status the very day you leave. It is your intentions that matter not just the period of time spent out of the US.
agree and in the end it's you're word against theirs.. so who will they believe?
so much for innocent until proven guilty
sorta makes me feel like a prisoner...

Last edited by silvermine; Mar 11th 2005 at 1:57 am.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 3:24 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callë
November 1959.
Made me laugh.Came through immigration last month with my green card.One of the old ones with no expiration.The immigration wivey was so mean ,shouting at me that it didn't look like me and I had to get a new one.So of course being the worrier that I am I'm going to put in my paperwork next week for a new 10 year one.It's only 20 years old
Old Mar 11th 2005, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by clydegirl
Made me laugh.Came through immigration last month with my green card.One of the old ones with no expiration.The immigration wivey was so mean ,shouting at me that it didn't look like me and I had to get a new one.So of course being the worrier that I am I'm going to put in my paperwork next week for a new 10 year one.It's only 20 years old
heh i had one of the old ones too. the imiigration guy at jfk said 'lucky i'm in a good mood, get a new one' and passed me on through.
:scared:

i just recently got the new fancy yellow one, it only took them a year to produce it...
Old Mar 29th 2005, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MightBe
They don't expect you to remember every item of your past...maybe the last few years.. download the paperwork and have a read up...
just got off the phone with the uscis in their words you need to list the last 5years worth of absences ''becuse that's all they are concerned with''
they were actually pleasant on the phone too.. and it was even better when they stopped speaking spanish to me so i could understand them

cheers!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:17 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

I never wanted to come to the U.S., but married an American and we ended up in San Antonio. It was awful for the first year as I felt so isolated and culturally it was very different. I gave up a good job and had to start all over again basically working in a typing pool. I thought about leaving my husband the first year we were over because I was so miserable. However, here I am 15 years later, hubby and I got our degrees and I even went to graduate school (something I could never have done had I stayed in Belgium or returned to England). Americans are different, but I've made some very good friends here -- I always thought it was "out of sight, out of mind" with many of the Americans, but I've been proved wrong as several of my friends from San Antonio have stuck with me (even become godparents to my children) though I've since moved on to Virginia). I've lived in England, Belgium and now the U.S. and have found many pluses and minuses to living in each country. Maybe I'm too much of an ex-pat as I left England when I was 10, but I do think it's normal to feel homesick and it takes a while to adapt to a new environment.

Sara