Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Was it really a good idea to move to here?

Was it really a good idea to move to here?

Old Mar 10th 2005, 7:34 pm
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was it really a good idea to move to here?

Originally Posted by silvermine
yes that's a good idea. the one tricky question they have on the application is list all the dates and blah blah that you have left the u.s. since you were a permanent resident. since i have been here for 37 years i think i can't remember all the times. what do you do about that?
uh, sorry this is off topic.
They don't expect you to remember every item of your past...maybe the last few years.. download the paperwork and have a read up...
Old Mar 10th 2005, 7:55 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

yes that's a good idea. the one tricky question they have on the application is list all the dates and blah blah that you have left the u.s. since you were a permanent resident. since i have been here for 37 years i think i can't remember all the times. what do you do about that?
uh, sorry this is off topic.

Uh... i think it said in the past five years?? so that can narrow it down some. If I'm wrong just answer the best you can remember. I dont think they lock you up if you honestly forget something? I never even updated my green card. still has my five year old pic on it. Oh well if they want to deport me, i'll fly for free!
Old Mar 10th 2005, 8:02 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
calle, I'm curious.

Have you spent any significant time in the UK?

Just out of curiosity. I was born in Europe, but can't for the life of me ever imagine living in my country of birth (though there are many who do, including many on this forum ). I lived there for my first two years before moving to the colonies, and then for another year or so at age 7, so can't really remember it that well, excepting for vacations spent there over the years.
No. not since I was a child. I have a few rellies that come here yearly and am particularly close to my cousin. I have thought this over for years believe me, and I cant imagine NOT going home to my birthland. I have never felt at home here. I have tried as my children were born here but it wont go away, the yearning in my heart to go back to England.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Check the relevant US government websites for answers to your queries.

NC Penguin
thanks looks like you don't lose social security if you go to the u.k.
but boy is that site complicated!
seems certain to lose green card though...if leaving for more than a year
Old Mar 10th 2005, 8:31 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callë
Uh... i think it said in the past five years?? so that can narrow it down some. If I'm wrong just answer the best you can remember. I dont think they lock you up if you honestly forget something? I never even updated my green card. still has my five year old pic on it. Oh well if they want to deport me, i'll fly for free!
Yes. You should list the no. of days spent outside of the US in the five years prior to the application.

Odd that your GC has such an outdated picture. I just obtained my 10 yr GC and I had to submit new photos for that.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 10th 2005, 8:49 pm
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute

Re-Entry Permit
Lawful Permanent Residents (green card holders) use re-entry permits to re-enter the U.S. after travel of one year or more. For LPR’s returning to the U.S., re-entry permits are generally valid for two years from the date of issuance of the re-entry permit. The LPR should apply for this benefit before leaving the U.S.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 8:53 pm
Home at last

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Yes. You should list the no. of days spent outside of the US in the five years prior to the application.

Odd that your GC has such an outdated picture. I just obtained my 10 yr GC and I had to submit new photos for that.

NC Penguin
Yeah, I remember when we first arrived and had to take them every january to show them, then about ten years or so later they no longer required yearly checking so i have never done anything else!! no one ever told me to! And do you know if its true if they take your GC if you get citizenship? I really dont want to turn it in. Its a memory keepsake.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 8:55 pm
Bishop John MightBe

And do you know if its true if they take your GC if you get citizenship? I really dont want to turn it in. Its a memory keepsake.
They do !!
Old Mar 10th 2005, 8:57 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I remember when we first arrived and had to take them every january to show them, then about ten years or so later they no longer required yearly checking so i have never done anything else!! no one ever told me to! And do you know if its true if they take your GC if you get citizenship? I really dont want to turn it in. Its a memory keepsake.
I'm sure they do. I had my conditional GC taken off me when I had my I-751 appointment (for the 10 yr GC/unconditional GC).

NC Penguin
Old Mar 10th 2005, 9:00 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Warning: you could lose PR status the very day you leave. It is your intentions that matter not just the period of time spent out of the US.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 9:03 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MightBe
They do !!

They do. And in my case, someone dressed up as Betsy Ross give you a little American flag.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 9:05 pm
Home at last

Originally Posted by MightBe
They do !!
Old Mar 10th 2005, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

So how long have you had your GC Calle? Don't you have to renew it very 10 yrs?
Old Mar 10th 2005, 9:18 pm
Home at last

Originally Posted by jjmb
So how long have you had your GC Calle? Don't you have to renew it very 10 yrs?

November 1959.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 9:21 pm
Home at last

I sent a copy of it with my application. lol, do you think they're going to come get me??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.