Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Was it really a good idea to move to here?

Wikiposts

Was it really a good idea to move to here?

Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Was it really a good idea to move to here?

Originally Posted by psb182
read some of my posts I could not have said that any better myself it is like you read my mind......been here 20 yrs going home oct or nov.....just had enough
blv it, you're the lucky one
try 37 years in the usa. and just received my british passport...
wish i could leave but no chance for me i fear unless something happens..
or anyone has any bright ideas? maybe i can commute!
unfort when i came here i had no choice
Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:17 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Franklin

I'm just in some kind of mood I guess, wondering why the hell I came here in the first place. Just feels like it is too much bother. .

I feel like this a lot of the time. But I'm willing to stick with it for another year or so. If I feel different then, I'll stay. If not, maybe I won't.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

I feel the same way, only been here for over a yr and yes I miss ol England but I came over to me with my other half. Worse case, I can move back.

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
I feel like this a lot of the time. But I'm willing to stick with it for another year or so. If I feel different then, I'll stay. If not, maybe I won't.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
I haven't been here as long as some of you(nearly 2 years). But I have never once been homesick and the only time I see Americans any different to the people I interacted with in the UK, is when I come here and read these forums. Sure we have our differences, but I think some people just look for things to show how different we can be. I'm enjoying life more than ever, but it has nothing to do with where I live, what I drive, how much bigger my house is and how many friends I have. I've bumped into many Brits since living here and 99% of them just piss and moan about anything and everything.
It usually only starts at the 7 to 10 year mark. Come talk to us in 8 years' time
Old Mar 10th 2005, 4:41 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by izibear
It usually only starts at the 7 to 10 year mark. Come talk to us in 8 years' time
I concur, for some folks doubt/homesickness seems to come in waves. How it actually comes and what form it actually takes is bound to be different for each individual. I think my current wave of doubt started with a trip to Las Vegas. Quite why I don't know. Anyway, I did something different today, drove up to a landmark site that I drive by on my way to work, the George Washington National Memorial near Alexandria Old Town.

There was an old fireman's truck right at the far end of the Temple's parking lot. I walked around the truck and forgot about the Temple; I lose myself when I look at old engineering. I think I am trying to distract myself from something that is gnawing at me. Maybe I am starting to feel settled here and that is what is disturbing me, the idea that I will not be going back to live in the UK, and that is what I don't want to confront ... *maybe* grrrrrr, wish I knew what it was.

Last edited by Franklin; Mar 10th 2005 at 4:43 am.

Old Mar 10th 2005, 5:04 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silvermine
blv it, you're the lucky one
try 37 years in the usa. and just received my british passport...
wish i could leave but no chance for me i fear unless something happens..
or anyone has any bright ideas? maybe i can commute!
unfort when i came here i had no choice
Silvermine, why no chance??? I didnt have a choice either. My parents emigrated here. I am married to an american and have american children. But I am selling the house, packing up the family and two dogs, leaving my job and going home in October. And I couldnt be happier!! (unless I won the lottery)
Old Mar 10th 2005, 6:13 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Franklin
Maybe I am starting to feel settled here and that is what is disturbing me, the idea that I will not be going back to live in the UK, and that is what I don't want to confront ... *maybe* grrrrrr, wish I knew what it was.
Hey Franklin, you know my story so you know I'm feeling the same thing although my circumstances are different to your own.

Realistically, I'd still be in the same position if I was back in the UK but I miss the closeness of friends. They're all just a phone call away but it still feels like I'm out in the cold. I have no one to confide in when I need an unbiased shoulder.

I have to say though, once my career problems are solved, my homesickness would be solved as well. When things get tough I really start to question my decisions.

I try to stop it, but it gnaws at me and I just have to do the best I can. Sure, I can jump on a plane tomorrow and walk away from everything, but I can't runaway from my problems. I have to deal with them. If I ran, it would only create more problems and not necessarily for myself. My actions would hurt others.

Besides, I'm curious to see how things will be a year from now. If it's still the same, I may reconsider my position and fix it the best way I can.

If you ever find yourself in Georgia, look me up. I feel we share the same views on certain possible “future events�
Old Mar 10th 2005, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by callë
Silvermine, why no chance??? I didnt have a choice either. My parents emigrated here. I am married to an american and have american children. But I am selling the house, packing up the family and two dogs, leaving my job and going home in October. And I couldnt be happier!! (unless I won the lottery)
i also emgirated with my parents, and also am married to an American and have American children. i understand that if i leave the u.s. for more than 6 months i will lose my green card....and maybe social security as well?
Old Mar 10th 2005, 6:58 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by rincewind
I have to say though, once my career problems are solved, my homesickness would be solved as well. When things get tough I really start to question my decisions.
Going through financial uncertainty is tough for anyone, even USC's because of the lack of a 'safety net' in the US.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 7:00 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

i also emgirated with my parents, and also am married to an American and have American children. i understand that if i leave the u.s. for more than 6 months i will lose my green card....and maybe social security as well?
Check the relevant US government websites for answers to your queries.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 10th 2005, 7:06 am
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute

Well get your citizenship sorted and you can do anything...Not exactly a difficult problem
Old Mar 10th 2005, 7:08 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

So why dont you apply for citizenship and then you can go home without all that worry? In all honesty though I dont have citizenship and just applied about six months ago for the very reason as not to lose social security. As time goes by and I havnt heard from them yet I was begining to believe.. ah well lost it...cause I have gotten to the point that I dont want to stay any longer. It's been long enough. But then Englishmum posted something the other day that I might still be able to get it if I fly back for the ceremony. I just have to make sure I get the news in time and think I will surely hear something before my six months back in England as I am not even leaving for another 7-8 months. if you plan now you should be alright and ready to be able to go home if you want probably within a year or year and half?
Old Mar 10th 2005, 7:11 am
Account Closed

calle, I'm curious.

Have you spent any significant time in the UK?

Just out of curiosity. I was born in Europe, but can't for the life of me ever imagine living in my country of birth (though there are many who do, including many on this forum ). I lived there for my first two years before moving to the colonies, and then for another year or so at age 7, so can't really remember it that well, excepting for vacations spent there over the years.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 7:20 am
Franklin

*snip* When things get tough I really start to question my decisions. I try to stop it, but it gnaws at me and I just have to do the best I can. *snip*

Yeah, I think you have it there. When things get tough one starts to question decisions that really are history and "we are where we are", but mentally beat ourselves up.

*snip* If you ever find yourself in Georgia, look me up. I feel we share the same views on certain possible “future events�
Will do buddy! If you are in the DC metro area feel free to let me know. Can't say right now that you can crash out in my apartment (not a problem before) but with mum around and it being so small, makes it harder (I am hoping to get a much less cramped apartment with a decent electricity supply by year end), but you can crash out in my office ... if you can put up with sleeping like Bill Gates who, according to some commentators, started out, crashing out, under his desk. Kind of makes sense, given that early versions of Windows crashed so much!

Last edited by Franklin; Mar 10th 2005 at 7:22 am.

Old Mar 10th 2005, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by callë
So why dont you apply for citizenship and then you can go home without all that worry? In all honesty though I dont have citizenship and just applied about six months ago for the very reason as not to lose social security. As time goes by and I havnt heard from them yet I was begining to believe.. ah well lost it...cause I have gotten to the point that I dont want to stay any longer. It's been long enough. But then Englishmum posted something the other day that I might still be able to get it if I fly back for the ceremony. I just have to make sure I get the news in time and think I will surely hear something before my six months back in England as I am not even leaving for another 7-8 months. if you plan now you should be alright and ready to be able to go home if you want probably within a year or year and half?
yes that's a good idea. the one tricky question they have on the application is list all the dates and blah blah that you have left the u.s. since you were a permanent resident. since i have been here for 37 years i think i can't remember all the times. what do you do about that?
uh, sorry this is off topic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.