British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Was it really a good idea to move to here? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/really-good-idea-move-here-288983/)

Franklin Mar 9th 2005 4:17 pm

Was it really a good idea to move to here?

Having one of those "doubtful periods" doubting about my move to the USA ... was it really a good idea to move here ... was it really worth the mess, lost opportunities/opportunity cost, disruption in previous "well laid plans", and upheaval on myself and my folks, etc. :( I guess we all go through them, especially when things seem to be tough and a tad bit out of whack.

Anyone else feeling the same way right now?

Grrrrrr ... must push it to the back of my mind and soldier on.

NC Penguin Mar 9th 2005 4:54 pm

Re: Was it really a good idea to move to here?

This thread on When Did It Go Right for You? complements this thread.

NC Penguin

Bob Mar 9th 2005 4:58 pm

I know the feeling...bit glum, but that's life, will only matter things better when they are better wont' it I guess...can't be happy all the time, or I want some of those drugs :D

mvjenno Mar 9th 2005 6:16 pm

Things can go wrong on either side. Hang in there...make the most of the best and the least of the worse! :)

Pimpbot Mar 9th 2005 6:22 pm

Yes, to the title.

Originally Posted by Franklin

No

ImHere Mar 9th 2005 6:30 pm

We had a really crappy period about a month after we got here.....nothing going right, everything was twice the effort it should be, beaurocracy a complete pain in the ass, I was at one point just a single click away from booking return flights back to Blighty.

One of the hardets parts was feeling - well - alien. Completly lost and not knowing what to do to sort situations out. We clung on to out Britishness and the things we knew.

In the weeks since then things have slowly got better. Now we understand the beaurocracy and how things work here better. We've got all the beaurocratic stuff out of the way now (virtually), life is settling into more of a daily routine and now we are actually starting to enjoy it here and pick up on some of the reasons we made this life changing move in the first place. Some days are better than others and some days I have sudden and often unexpected homesickness pangs, but overall it gets better.

Im glad we hung in there and worked through the crap and pain and anguish. Im sure we'll have crappy periods again sometime but hopefully in lesser sized dollops, and next time we'll be better equiped to deal with it.

Hope you get over this low and work through the next high.
:)

In the meantime have one of these... :beer:

Franklin Mar 9th 2005 7:17 pm

Yeah, good points. :)

It just seems sometimes like that old saying, "one step forward and two steps back". Maybe somebody up there is playing with us, and I am not talking Michael Jackson here.

Originally Posted by ImHere
We had a really crappy period about a month after we got here.....nothing going right, everything was twice the effort it should be, beaurocracy a complete pain in the ass, I was at one point just a single click away from booking return flights back to Blighty.

One of the hardets parts was feeling - well - alien. Completly lost and not knowing what to do to sort situations out. We clung on to out Britishness and the things we knew.

In the weeks since then things have slowly got better. Now we understand the beaurocracy and how things work here better. We've got all the beaurocratic stuff out of the way now (virtually), life is settling into more of a daily routine and now we are actually starting to enjoy it here and pick up on some of the reasons we made this life changing move in the first place. Some days are better than others and some days I have sudden and often unexpected homesickness pangs, but overall it gets better.

Im glad we hung in there and worked through the crap and pain and anguish. Im sure we'll have crappy periods again sometime but hopefully in lesser sized dollops, and next time we'll be better equiped to deal with it.

Hope you get over this low and work through the next high.
:)

In the meantime have one of these... :beer:

Triumphrob Mar 9th 2005 7:34 pm

[QUOTE=Franklin]Having one of those "doubtful periods" doubting about my move to the USA ... was it really a good idea to move here ... was it really worth the mess, lost opportunities/opportunity cost, disruption in previous "well laid plans", and upheaval on myself and my folks, etc. :( I guess we all go through them, especially when things seem to be tough and a tad bit out of whack.

Ive been here 20 years and for me it went like this.
1st year. Horrible homesickness, very alien but swore to stick it out
2nd to 10 years.. Wonderfull, got used to it, new life, nice possesions, house etc
10 to 15 years. Begining to suck a bit, homesickness coming back
15 to 20 years. Horrible, disliking American arrogance and attitude, materialistic things dont matter now I got them,missing friends and humor and pubs etc, but now very difficult to move back.

So in my opinion, move back sooner than later if your not happy here.

Rob

psb182 Mar 9th 2005 7:45 pm

[QUOTE=Triumphrob]

Having one of those "doubtful periods" doubting about my move to the USA ... was it really a good idea to move here ... was it really worth the mess, lost opportunities/opportunity cost, disruption in previous "well laid plans", and upheaval on myself and my folks, etc. :( I guess we all go through them, especially when things seem to be tough and a tad bit out of whack.

2nd to 10 years.. Wonderfull, got used to it, new life, nice possesions, house etc
15 to 20 years. Horrible, disliking American arrogance and attitude, materialistic things dont matter now I got them,missing friends and humor and pubs etc, but now very difficult to move back.

Rob

read some of my posts I could not have said that any better myself it is like you read my mind......been here 20 yrs going home oct or nov.....just had enough

Dan725 Mar 9th 2005 7:48 pm

[QUOTE=Triumphrob]

Rob

Very good run down there Rob, I can see how that might happen, but I wouldn't say move back now - just think if you'd been stuck in "stage 2" forever, all very happy. I would say hang on in there to Franklin, its probably only temporary and I think you'll know when you've completely had enough! How about taking a quick trip back to the UK for a holiday, might cheer you up a bit!

ImHere Mar 9th 2005 8:04 pm

It seems odd how so many people get over the 1st - often pretty bad - year only to become homesick and cheesed off again at about 10-15 years. I wonder why? :confused:

Triumphrob Mar 9th 2005 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by ImHere
It seems odd how so many people get over the 1st - often pretty bad - year only to become homesick and cheesed off again at about 10-15 years. I wonder why? :confused:

When I left, a wise friend of mine who came to Heathrow to see me off said "No one emigrates for more than 20 years" , I laughed at him then........

anotherlimey Mar 9th 2005 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
When I left, a wise friend of mine who came to Heathrow to see me off said "No one emigrates for more than 20 years" , I laughed at him then........

I wonder if your friend meant only the Brits don't emmigrate for more than 20 years? Is it just us?

Are you a naturalised USC? and do you think if you lived in a different part of the country things would be different?

Triumphrob Mar 9th 2005 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I wonder if your friend meant only the Brits don't emmigrate for more than 20 years? Is it just us?

Are you a naturalised USC? and do you think if you lived in a different part of the country things would be different?

Hi
I cant speak for other countries as I have only lived in the UK and then here. My job has me flying all over the states, and I havnt seen anywhere I would want to move to...
Yes , I am a USC, my wifes in the process....

ImHere Mar 9th 2005 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Hi
I cant speak for other countries as I have only lived in the UK and then here. My job has me flying all over the states, and I havnt seen anywhere I would want to move to...
Yes , I am a USC, my wifes in the process....

Im being dopey but you're a naturalised USC or a vanilla USC? Whats you're wife? British?